Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ergonomic keyboard

Ergonomic keyboard
rilina
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 12:06 PM

Can anyone recommend a good ergonomic (that is split, and ideally also adjustable) keyboard? I've recently been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome (still mild, fortunately) and there's only so much I can reduce my computer use given my job. So I'm looking to improve my set up at home.

What I'd really like is the Comfort Keyboard , but it's a little on the expensive side at $300!

I know there are a lot of the molded-plastic split keyboards out there inthe <$100 range, but I've been warned that they don't always work too welll for people with small hands (like me),

brickcam
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2004, 05:24 PM

Take a look at Goldtouch for higher-end ergonomic equipment that still isn't $300...

I too have RSI problems, but I find that the most effective treatment is to simply spend less time at the computer. However frustrating. I use a non-adjustable but split and raised Adesso Tru-Form (EKB-2100) Keyboard at home; probably because I got it on ebay for 15$. Trackballs help a lot too.
Cameron

rilina  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2004, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the tip!

I've seen some posts where people complain about the feel of the Adesso - do you have any thoughts on that front?

I'm switching to a pen and tablet to replace my mouse for home use. I was never much good with trackballs.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2004, 08:19 PM

Sure. The Adesso is not an ergonomic cakewalk, although way better than a standard keyboard for me. My biggest complaint would probably be that significant force is required to depress the keys (or maybe this one is just too old?). The keys on my laptop are very responsive, and I prefer a keyboard that stresses my hand as little as possible. Try to think about that when shopping -- I didn't -- but then again, it was El Cheapo ergonomic keyboard used, and is well worth the money I paid for it. At an order of magnitude cheaper than the other options we're discussing, I suppose it depends on your wallet. Good luck,
Cameron

OreoCookie
Dec 6, 2004, 05:46 AM

Take a look at the Tactile Pro which has gotten rave reviews. I'm gonna get one in January when they offer the German version. Not cheap, but I always dreamed of a keyboard like this since I felt the original IBM keyboard and the NeXT keyboards.

If you get good feedback, you writing improves and it `feels' better.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

brickcam
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 06:29 PM

The Tactile looks great, but it is hardly an ergonomic choice. For people with carpal tunnel or other RSI issues, a split and raised keyboard is vastly healthier for one's ergonomic posture. As rilina knows a fully-adjustable kb is even better, but often out of fiscal grasp.

Another note about ergonomics would be that the height and orientation of the kb is important: the best is to have a kb tray lower than your desk that holds the kb at a negative slope. This helps you maintain your wrists in a more neutral position. If anyone wants to know more about health issues like this, let me know and I'd happily point you at some good sites.
Cameron

OreoCookie
Dec 8, 2004, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by brickcam:
The Tactile looks great, but it is hardly an ergonomic choice. For people with carpal tunnel or other RSI issues, a split and raised keyboard is vastly healthier for one's ergonomic posture. As rilina knows a fully-adjustable kb is even better, but often out of fiscal grasp.

Another note about ergonomics would be that the height and orientation of the kb is important: the best is to have a kb tray lower than your desk that holds the kb at a negative slope. This helps you maintain your wrists in a more neutral position. If anyone wants to know more about health issues like this, let me know and I'd happily point you at some good sites.
M$ made the angle on their latest version of ergonomic keyboards smaller. IMHO the keys are at least as important as the angle. My iBook's keyboard is really not that great. I bought a cheap Cherry keyboard for my server and I love it.

But I think I will like the Tactile Pro even better (I need the Umlaute).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2004, 06:58 AM

Even if you had some trouble with trackballs, give a look at something such as the Logitech Optical Trackman. It's more finger controlled but still a heckuva lot better in the long run than a mouse or even a pad.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules