Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New 20" iMac is on it's way...

New 20" iMac is on it's way...
antizero
Mar 20, 2004, 01:24 PM

Despite rumors of updates, I just ordered a new 20" iMac - will post pics when it arrives!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 04:02 PM

Well... get it when you need it!

ChasingApple
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 04:21 PM

Bravo! Great purchase, dont worry about the new ones coming out, there are ALWAYS new ones coming out anyway, does not make yours any lesss of a computer. Enjoy and I cant wait to see it setup!
iMac G4 / Macbook

Spartan24
Mar 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Congrats.. You will luv it..

I just picked up my new 20" Imac from our new Mini Apple store yesterday.. Boy it was tough being mac-less for 6 months or so.. I finally gave up trying to wait for the new improved (maybe) model.. Actually, this one does all I need it to and the bugs seem to be out by now..

Except for not being able to wake this thing up from sleeping without pressing the power button.. crap..

99RedSi
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 11:27 PM

You'll love yours - I love mine! It's beautiful.
Mac Mini C2D 1.83/1/80/10.5.5
iMac G4 20" Superdrive 1.25/1.25/80/10.4.9
iBook G4 12" 1.33/512/40/10.4.9
iPod Video 30GB / Shure e4c Earbuds

ChasingApple
Senior User
Mar 20, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Spartan24:
Congrats.. You will luv it..

I just picked up my new 20" Imac from our new Mini Apple store yesterday.. Boy it was tough being mac-less for 6 months or so.. I finally gave up trying to wait for the new improved (maybe) model.. Actually, this one does all I need it to and the bugs seem to be out by now..

Except for not being able to wake this thing up from sleeping without pressing the power button.. crap..
Click the mouse or hit return on the keyboard, works for me
iMac G4 / Macbook

discotronic
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 12:20 AM

Sometimes having a device connected (scanners, camera) to the firewire or USB port will cause it not to wake/sleep properly. If you do, unplug the device and restart. Then plug it back it. Worth a shot.

iBookmaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 05:30 PM

The 20" iMac is a great computer. I've had one since November 03. The display is about as big as you'd want on a desk in a home. Very nice. Great home computer. I was thinking of buying a G5 but thought the 20" iMac was all I needed, looked cooler and with a movable display, that made the difference to me. Plus since the display floats instead of sits on the desk, I can put papers under it, all the way around it. Can't do that with the separate displays. Check out the Zinio Reader software that comes with the iMac. You can buy and read online magazines by downloading them instead of buying them on news stands. I'm sure 99RedSi is lovin' that 20" iMac too.

Robert

Spartan24
Mar 21, 2004, 09:17 PM

"Click the mouse or hit return on the keyboard, works for me"

I have tried that.. I think it's the Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard that aremn't awake because the unit is sleeping?? The only way to wake it up is to press the power button brieflt and screen restarts, then a few seconds later, bluetooth activates..

It might also be because I have the DLink blueooth? anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Mar 21, 2004, 09:45 PM

"Click the mouse or hit return on the keyboard, works for me"

I have tried that.. I think it's the Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard that aremn't awake because the unit is sleeping?? The only way to wake it up is to press the power button brieflt and screen restarts, then a few seconds later, bluetooth activates..

It might also be because I have the DLink blueooth? anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
Ahh yes, bluetooth strikes again, hehe. I just dont like anything cordless with my accessories, having a small cord has never bothered me. Thats kind of a bummer you have to go through that to wake the system but hey it could be worse. Plug your Apple mouse in and put the system to sleep, hit the mouse button and verify it wakes like that. Find out if there is a way to keep power to bluetooth while sleeping
iMac G4 / Macbook

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 01:16 PM

There is an option in the Bluetooth Mouse / Keyboard System Preferences to allow a Bluetooth device to wake the computer.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Spartan24
Mar 22, 2004, 10:35 PM

There is an option in the Bluetooth Mouse / Keyboard System Preferences to allow a Bluetooth device to wake the computer.

Ian

Thanks Parky but I looked all over the place and can't find that option in 3.3?

I it was also suggested that I download Bluetooth Version 1.5 (which I believe is the latest) and install that as well as check on the DLink site for a firmware upgrade (nothing available there tho).

Well, I'll keep plugging away at it.. No big deal. I REALLY like this Imac so I'll continue to press the power button to wake it up.. LOL

Spartan24
Mar 22, 2004, 11:16 PM

Hey Parky,

I just restarted the machine again and went into the Bluetooth preferences and founf the option you mentioned.. Sad to say that it was greyed out and therefore couldn't put a checkmark in there.. damn.. hahhahaha

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 04:29 AM

Have you got the latest version of the Bluetooth software?
Are you on Panther?

Ian
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!

Spartan24
Mar 23, 2004, 10:52 AM

Hey Parky,

Yep using 10.3.3 and have already downloaded and installed Bluetooth 1.5.. Hope I didn't overwrite a newer version by chasing down this "update" ? Also looked for a firmware upgrade for the DLink Hardware version B3 and nothing is available yet for OSX

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 10:58 AM

If you look in the Bluetooth Preferences there is also an option to Allow BT devices to wake computer.

No idea why my version works, but I can select the option in either place.

Ian

Spartan24
Mar 23, 2004, 08:36 PM

Hey Parky,

Well, I suspect this is because you have Bluetooth built in??.. Like I said, I am using the usb D-Link bluetooth connector and I suspect that this is a problem consistent with this "aftermarket" device..

Does anyone else use this D-Link bluetooth device and have the ability to wake up their system with the keyboard or mouse?

Also, my apologies to the originator of this thread for getting it off topic.. Again, congrats on your new Imac.. I think you will really enjoy it.

Spartan24
Mar 23, 2004, 09:01 PM

I think the problem is solved.. I found the link to the d-Link Bluetooth firmware update on the apple site and installed it. Now the Wake up with bluetooth check box is enabled..

Well, I'll find out later if it works, but I'm hoping it will.

Parky
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 02:09 AM

I have the D-Link module as well, not built into the iMac.

You should have no problem with it now, it works OK for me.

To be honest I have it turned off for the following reason :-

Put computer to sleep, turn of mouse, computer wakes up!

Turning off the mouse must send a signal to the computer which now turns on as it can be woken by a BT device. I could always leave the mouse on, but I thought I would save the battery.

Ian

Spartan24
Mar 24, 2004, 08:57 PM

Yep, working fine now.. LOL, I'll see how long the batteries last now, I might be regretting this after all!

Thanks to all for the advice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules