Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger available at the Apple Store! Shipping Apr 29

Tiger available at the Apple Store! Shipping Apr 29 (Page 2)
chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 12:24 PM

Think about this-- order a Mini today, and you get 10.3, 10.4 and iLife for $519.00. That's about 300.00 worth of software, which means you get a $200.00 G4 1.25. Pretty sweet. Wish I needed a mini.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

macminime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 12:29 PM

ok, so here's a question. Say I order a mac mini today, do i need to wait until it is delivered to qualify for the Mac Up-To-Date $9.95 Tiger upgrader (since the interface seems to require a serial number), or is there a way to qualify for the upgrade at the time of purchase of the mini? Probably doesn't make a big difference at this point, seeing as I would get the mini before Tiger is released, but still curious nonetheless.

kashirat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
Glad all the speculation is over with....

I wonder when student devs will get their copy? My guess is along with the May mailer.
Ahhhhh my student dev account expires April 30th! What timing!

t.hill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 12:42 PM

Would I be able to load Tiger onto both my PB and my iMac? Or would I be forced to get the family pack? I'm not exactly buying it for a family. Just me.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by t.hill:
Would I be able to load Tiger onto both my PB and my iMac? Or would I be forced to get the family pack? I'm not exactly buying it for a family. Just me.
It doesn't ask for a serial so really you can instal it on as many as you like.

I think the license should allow a laptop and desktop though.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 12, 2005, 01:03 PM

Kind of a grey area in the legal sense but I think that as long as you arent using both at the same time you should be alright...
27" iMac C2D

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by t.hill:
Technically, and legally, the license is for one machine, but...................
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:11 PM

$73.83

Ordered and waiting.
F = ma

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 01:16 PM

where are the corporate licenses? I don't need 10.4 Server, but I've got 7 macs, as well as my staff's home and portables that I run 10.3 on currently. I purchased a 100 set license for 10.3 but I can find no reference for it on the Apple site for 10.4.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2005, 01:18 PM

If you own more than one machine capable of Tiger, I really can't see Apple crying over someone installing it on both of them. If they were really hellbent on preventing it, they could have chosen to use serial numbers and had the OS check the network for other copies registered with the same. Then you'd really have to go out of your way to abuse the license. But as it stands, Apple just doesn't care enough to do that.

That still doesn't make it technically right or legal. But for me, it's well within the bounds of moral flexibility. I actually think more of buying multiple copies as a waste of money if you aren't a business.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2005, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
where are the corporate licenses? I don't need 10.4 Server, but I've got 7 macs, as well as my staff's home and portables that I run 10.3 on currently. I purchased a 100 set license for 10.3 but I can find no reference for it on the Apple site for 10.4.
Here.

And just in case that doesn't work (Apple store links always tend to time out), from the main store page, click on business, and then towards the bottom you see Mac OS X Server.

You got a 100 license pack for Server? Or 100 client? Cause I only see, and remember from previous Server versions, 10-client and Unlimited client version, but I see volume licensing that you can get at 100. That's for 100 separate installs of OS X server, though.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:27 PM

I just ordered two edu copies! $69+tax... not bad at all!

I hope this addresses a lot of the OpenGL and Graphics driver issues, that are making games like Doom lame on the Mac compared to PC.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

albook
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 01:28 PM

Order placed!
Going to be a long wait...

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
If you own more than one machine capable of Tiger, I really can't see Apple crying over someone installing it on both of them. If they were really hellbent on preventing it, they could have chosen to use serial numbers and had the OS check the network for other copies registered with the same. Then you'd really have to go out of your way to abuse the license. But as it stands, Apple just doesn't care enough to do that.

That still doesn't make it technically right or legal. But for me, it's well within the bounds of moral flexibility. I actually think more of buying multiple copies as a waste of money if you aren't a business.
yeah, I did that with 10.3, but I figure with the edu price, it couldn't hurt to get two copies, that way I wont feel as guilty when I install it on my up and coming iMac.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

t.hill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I am buying the full version even though I just graduated from school and could probably swing the .edu rate, so. It's like I am paying double anyway, heh.

That is good to know that they don't have a serial number or network check. Thanks.

Dog Like Nature  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 02:31 PM

Think about this-- order a Mini today, and you get 10.3, 10.4 and iLife for $519.00. That's about 300.00 worth of software, which means you get a $200.00 G4 1.25. Pretty sweet. Wish I needed a mini.
I was thinking the same thing. The low price of the mini combined with the incredible value of the included software is very tempting... and like you said you will get two operating systems!
â•­1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
â•°2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 02:44 PM

"The price of Tiger in the Apple Store Canada is $149, while it is $129 from the US store. This is significantly lower than the $169 to $129 ratio for Panther. In fact, according to XE.com, $149 Canadian Dollars is only about $120 US. So this is the second time I've seen anything from Apple Canada (other than iTMS songs for 99 cents) cheaper than the US store."

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 03:17 PM

I've got you all beat!
I get my copy at 6PM guaranteed on the 29th for only $15. And it is completely legal!
The only downside (peeshaw) is I don't get the box...which, Id throw away as soon as I got my CDs out.

I sure love being a student at the University of Oregon, Go Ducks!

R

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Requirements same as Panther, except now you need minimum of 256Mb RAM and any PowerBook G3 is unsupported.
Can't you read?
Hardware Requirements
Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger requires a Macintosh with:
PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor
Built-in FireWire
At least 256MB of physical RAM
Sounds like the Pismo G3 is supported to me. Just not any previous version.

Within days, I'm sure that someone will have a mod to install Tiger on any G3 machine or even 604s and 603s. What was that program called? Ahh! XPostFacto!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kcomer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 03:34 PM

Does anyone know if the $129 is for the full version or an upgrade from Panther. This is my first OS X update since I bought my Powerbook and I wasn't sure how apple handled the pricing. It looks like there is no upgrade price to me, but wanted to make sure.

Keith

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by kcomer:
Does anyone know if the $129 is for the full version or an upgrade from Panther. This is my first OS X update since I bought my Powerbook and I wasn't sure how apple handled the pricing. It looks like there is no upgrade price to me, but wanted to make sure.

Keith

apple sucks, sometimes. i had to re-buy panther cds late january; the guy said there would "probably" be an upgrade path, but...no such luck.

$129, plus tax (& free shipping).

let the whining & ranting begin!!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

bradb28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Cool Dashboard widget: iComic 4 (video of it in action)
Looks Awesome!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 03:44 PM

i can't wait to start seeing user dashboard widgets. i ordered tiger, can't wait till 29th.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Can't you read?
I was referring to this.

That doesn't mean to say that you are wrong though

Spartan24
Apr 12, 2005, 04:08 PM

I realize that there is no serial number for the install, but does anyone know if there is usually a "family pack" available from the Educational Store? We have 4 macs and even at $199 it's a good deal, but no sense in wasting the edu discount if you don't have to?

I just cancelled my $95 order (one user) from Amazon and would have ordered the family pack there but couldn't find it.

Olorin
Apr 12, 2005, 04:18 PM

Do student developers get a free copy of tiger? I know I got a free copy of panther when I signed up.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
apple sucks, sometimes. i had to re-buy panther cds late january; the guy said there would "probably" be an upgrade path, but...no such luck.
What guy? I'd have bet money there wouldn't be. The only time Apple offered an upgrade was with 10.0 to 10.1, and that was just because 10.0 sucked so badly.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dog Like Nature  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 04:23 PM

According to the requirements, Tiger needs at least 2.0GB of space for an installation. That means I can install it on a Kanguru Fire Flash drive! Sweet -- boot to Tiger with no moving parts...

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:28 PM

Would anyone mind me asking what's so good about it? I know nothing of Tiger. I read this entire thread. Will it make my GPU more efficient and my Mac run faster? That's really all I need to know.
A simple yes and yes will do. I am happy with Panther and need no extra frills; I'm just a video editing guy.

Dog Like Nature  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by urrl78:
Would anyone mind me asking what's so good about it? I know nothing of Tiger. I read this entire thread. Will it make my GPU more efficient and my Mac run faster? That's really all I need to know.
A simple yes and yes will do. I am happy with Panther and need no extra frills; I'm just a video editing guy.
Yes, it should make your mac run faster! Depending on which GPU you have, either moderately faster (everything's been compiled with GCC 4.0) or a lot faster (supported GPUs can be used to offload UI rendering).

Enjoy!

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2005, 04:37 PM

jsut placed my order w/ a student discount. can't wait.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by RMXO:
jsut placed my order w/ a student discount. can't wait.
ditto

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 09:01 PM

I placed my edu discount order this morning as well, but I have a question about if I can buy another one. It says you're allowed 2 softwares per year. This Tiger purchase would be my first. I have a friend who would also like Tiger. Can I purchase another one and when I ordered it set another address to his address so it ships to his house? It wouldn't be my billing address or my college address, would apple have a problem with this or will it go through without a problem. I'd like to order it, but im afraid it won't ship or if it does it won't get there ontime.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:03 PM

I decided to go legit this time and ordered the 5-license family pack for $199. I have 5 machines to install 10.4 on to now (my DP2.5 G5, wife's iMac G5, my PBG4, a 1.4GHz GigE G4 being turned into a home-theater Mac, and an old 600MHz iBook G3 my daughter uses). When 10.3 came out I only had two machines (a DP2.0 G5 and the iBook) so I bought only the single license.


Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Abit667:
I placed my edu discount order this morning as well, but I have a question about if I can buy another one. It says you're allowed 2 softwares per year. This Tiger purchase would be my first. I have a friend who would also like Tiger. Can I purchase another one and when I ordered it set another address to his address so it ships to his house? It wouldn't be my billing address or my college address, would apple have a problem with this or will it go through without a problem. I'd like to order it, but im afraid it won't ship or if it does it won't get there ontime.
Legally, the software you buy with the educational discount can be used only by you, and only while you are still a student or faculty of said educational institution. You aren't permitted to make purchases for other people.

I'm not saying people don't do it anyway, but at least those are the rules (see my post above for my rule-breaking episode).


chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Here.

And just in case that doesn't work (Apple store links always tend to time out), from the main store page, click on business, and then towards the bottom you see Mac OS X Server.

You got a 100 license pack for Server? Or 100 client? Cause I only see, and remember from previous Server versions, 10-client and Unlimited client version, but I see volume licensing that you can get at 100. That's for 100 separate installs of OS X server, though.
Not after Server, just the 10-99 seats for OS X Regular Old Operating System, but thanks, I'd forgotten about the business link, that's where it was.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Dog Like Nature:
Yes, it should make your mac run faster! Depending on which GPU you have, either moderately faster (everything's been compiled with GCC 4.0) or a lot faster (supported GPUs can be used to offload UI rendering).

Enjoy!
Where are you getting the info on GCC 4.0?

Dog Like Nature  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by jock:
Where are you getting the info on GCC 4.0?
I had the source around here somewhere.. I'll try and dig it up -- unless someone else can find it for me!!

In the meantime, think about this: It makes a lot of sense to compile the OS with GCC4 when GCC4 will be bundled with it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2005, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I was referring to this.

That doesn't mean to say that you are wrong though
Sorry! I didn't see that page. Clearly, one of them is wrong. However, I'm almost certain that you WILL be able to install it on a G3 powerbook (what kind do you have?), but just not officially.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 07:48 AM

Mines ordered! Woot! Can't wait...
- Eric

Krypton
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
Sorry! I didn't see that page. Clearly, one of them is wrong. However, I'm almost certain that you WILL be able to install it on a G3 powerbook (what kind do you have?), but just not officially.
I don't have a (G3) PowerBook, but I thought those that did might be interested in Apple's table - like you say, the Pismos will almost certainly be supported given any logic.

Noonster
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 09:43 AM

Im in the UK but thought i would tell you i have ordered mine also
MacBook • 13.3" MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 250GB
iMac G5 • 20" iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, 160GB, SD, AP, BT/KB/MS
iPod Mini • Silver, 4GB
iPhone 3G • Black, 16GB

-Q-
Apr 13, 2005, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Spartan24:
I realize that there is no serial number for the install, but does anyone know if there is usually a "family pack" available from the Educational Store? We have 4 macs and even at $199 it's a good deal, but no sense in wasting the edu discount if you don't have to?

I just cancelled my $95 order (one user) from Amazon and would have ordered the family pack there but couldn't find it.
They finally got the Tiger Family Pack up for ordering.

And here's a direct link to the rebate for those that need/want it.

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 11:50 AM

i preordered mine from UCFs computer store.

I cant pick it up until 6pm though, they signed some agreement with apple, i guess they are following the apple store rules as well..

so will online orders get their copy whenever?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2005, 12:03 PM

Not after Server, just the 10-99 seats for OS X Regular Old Operating System, but thanks, I'd forgotten about the business link, that's where it was.
Ah, you don't need server. Missed that in your first post.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Kanji86:
i preordered mine from UCFs computer store.

I cant pick it up until 6pm though, they signed some agreement with apple, i guess they are following the apple store rules as well..

so will online orders get their copy whenever?
Online orders say:

"Estimated Ship: Delivery by 4/29"
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

Kanji86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 12:19 PM

ya apple doesnt deliever to PO Boxes, so I would have to wait anywya.

some wil lget it early in the morning i guess?

Spartan24
Apr 13, 2005, 02:58 PM

They finally got the Tiger Family Pack up for ordering.
Thanks -Q-

Just ordered the Family Pack from Amazon.. not bad with a $50 rebate..

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 06:03 PM

Whoa, 50$ rebate on family pack, that's what I ordered for all our systems here at home. Darn and mines been ordered though Apple. Hum...
- Eric

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 03:26 AM

Tiger this, tiger that... Tiger, TIGER, TIGER!

damnit, you all are starting to sound like a bunch of Sagat wannabees.

Oh, yeah... my order is in too.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules