Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tiger vs Panther - note boost for PBs in Tiger

Tiger vs Panther - note boost for PBs in Tiger
SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2005, 02:17 PM

http://www.mactouch.com/systeme/doss...article78.html

Take a look at the benchmarks -- note the large boost in CPU tasks for all of the PBs under Tiger. I wonder how this will translate into real-life usage, but it sure is interesting!

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:

Take a look at the benchmarks -- note the large boost in CPU tasks for all of the PBs under Tiger. I wonder how this will translate into real-life usage, but it sure is interesting!
Interesting...

I wish I understood French to be able to dig a little deeper into what they benchmarked with.
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:

The benchmarks are so surprising that you do indeed wonder about the testing. I'll be waiting to see if anyone else gets anything close to these tests.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 06:11 PM

this looks promising.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 06:03 AM

i remember reading reviews someone posted where they got ahold of a near final seed?

they said what they had might NOT be the final version they go with, but from what they said, they were going to test the beta, and then go back to panther. when they went back to panther, it felt so slow that they installed the beta tiger back on!

and they said side by side testing from new installs of the operating systems showed the tiger loaded machine (powerbook 15 inch in this case) to be significantly faster.

here's to hoping..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 06:49 AM

Is this apparent speed boost just a Powerbook thing, or will it speed up Macs in general compared to 10.3?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2005, 08:40 AM

The benchmarks did not show any such enhancement for non-powerbook systems.

I worry that it's really an artifact -- maybe the default CPU performance setting is on power saving for Panther and it's at the higher performance setting for Tiger.

We'll have to see it ourselves.

lewisyu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 12:18 PM

The benchmark results for new Powerbook is really amusing. Is it due to support of Core Image?
Just switched.
PB17, 1.67G, 1.5Gb RAM, 100G HD, Superdrive Pleiades 800+ w/ 250G HD, iSight, Apple BT mice, Logitech MX900, RadTech PowerSleevz & ScreensavRz, iSkin ProTouchPB, STM Brink Shouldbag, Waterfield iSight Case
iPod G4 40G, Shure E2C

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:52 PM

i got a buddy who's got the gold version of tiger installed on his machine. it's already done but hasn't been released to the open public for some reason or another. i'll be pickin up my copy either this weekend or by next thur for sure...woot woot!!! he hasn't mentioned anything bout his system being that much faster, but he is running on a dual 1.8 G5 so that could be a reason i guess.

euphras
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 01:08 PM

This could be a nice "extra speed bump" for PB users. But like SEkker already mentioned, i highly doubt it. Possibly a benchmark artifact. Why should PB hardware behave so different from desktop hardware?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by lewisyu
The benchmark results for new Powerbook is really amusing. Is it due to support of Core Image?
That is my guess. The benchmark probably contains a lot of items that use core image, and the powerbooks could be the only ones in that list that support it (or they have the "best" support for it).

This would cause an "artificial" improvement in speed. If you use apps that take advantage of core image, then the speed improvement could be "real".

Thanks,
Jeff

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2005, 04:16 AM

I look forward to getting a copy of tiger when it comes out. The nice thing is our university has some sort of deal with apple and we can all get it free . Won't be shipping until May 15 the computer store says; however, I think I might be able to wait... or maybe not... we'll see. I guess I can always buy a copy at the local apple store when it comes out and the ebay it after I get my own copy through my ADC membership (student) or free from school... one way or another I'm getting it for FREE ... I love you apple
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 05:37 AM

Hmm, that looks very good. I think my 1.67 GHz PowerBook will like that.

Remember Panther, when it came out most users felt a speed bump compared to Jaguar. This time it looks even better.
•

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2005, 04:24 PM

wuzup101,

notice you sig says you own:

Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 1.25gb ram

I thought PB only came with 128 if it was 1.67ghz ?
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by trip
wuzup101,

notice you sig says you own:

Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 1.25gb ram

I thought PB only came with 128 if it was 1.67ghz ?

Before the latest bump when the 1.5 was the fastest machine, it could be configured with the big daddy GPU.

Spartan24
Apr 16, 2005, 04:49 PM

trip,

No, 128 video was avail special order in 1.5G PB... I know.. LOL

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 10:50 PM

hmmm to upgrade or not to upgrade... 70 bucks is a lot for dashboard and spotlight
iamwhor3hay

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2005, 11:13 PM

got tiger installed in my pb (specs in sig) and it hasn't made my system any faster than before. at first it ran dog slow, but that was because it took about 20 minutes to index all my stuff. i think that tiger may use the gpu more than i thought and therefore, maybe, the big boost will be in the systems that have better gpu ie. 15" and 17" pb. i actually dropped 6 points in xbench, i'll post some scores tomorrow, got to get out and meet the ladies tonight though.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 12:58 AM

xbench isn't that great -- my radeon 9600XT scores lower in the tests than the geforce 4mx it replaced even though the card performs a LOT better otherwise, not to mention in tiger quartz 2d extreme is NOT enabled by default, so you won't see much of a GPU boost there.. unless it is enabled, then I dunno what it'd do.
Aloha

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 05:33 PM

Tiger removed the debug code left over from Jaguar.

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MrForgetable
hmmm to upgrade or not to upgrade... 70 bucks is a lot for dashboard and spotlight

70 bucks??? Is there a way to buy an upgrade?? The only single user price I could find on the Apple store is $129.
I gotta have more cowbell.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer
70 bucks??? Is there a way to buy an upgrade?? The only single user price I could find on the Apple store is $129.
The Apple Store for Ejumucation discount makes the price $69.

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 06:09 PM

dont know if this was mentioned above, but you can use google to translate the page. its not a very "clean" translation, but you should get the jist of it. heres a link:

http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 08:46 PM

after two days i haven't noticed any significant boosts in performance. after three or four restarts, my xbench scores started to go back to the norm (99.96), so i guess it's not that great of an upgrade. spotlight takes up lots of ram (50mb-100mb depending on how many widgets you have open), now i understand why apple bumped up the min RAM issued with new computers. spotlight is alright, but i tend to still use quicksilver more out of habit. i haven't messed around with automator yet. all in all...i'm really ehhhh on this update, especially seeing how i can't use my favorite app of all time...iScroll!!!!!

asodamiac
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 09:11 PM

do you have the latest version of tiger? or is it some kind of beta?
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
The Apple Store for Ejumucation discount makes the price $69.
And for the rest of us:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tware&n=507846

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
i'm really ehhhh on this update, especially seeing how i can't use my favorite app of all time...iScroll!!!!!

Oh! Is iScroll not going to be useable with Tiger?

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker

Prepare to be blown away with startup and shutdown speeds, as well as overall system performance (as noted).

philz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2005, 09:04 PM

Fast fast fast.

osxisfun
Apr 21, 2005, 09:15 PM

what powerbooks are you guys running?

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 09:19 PM

Details? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

osxisfun
Apr 21, 2005, 09:23 PM

ps: I bet a clean install helps... carrying over 18 months of baggage makes a difference. I will be installing tiger on a nearly new machine so i won't but with completely new install but i recently "reset" safari.

wow. its fast again and now spinning beach balls...

(10.3.8)

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by MRTrauffer
got to love being a student
iamwhor3hay

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 11:05 PM

For those of you who claim to have used Tiger on a PB, have you had a chance to try the Temperature Monitor program (or any temp monitor programs) under Tiger? I have posted this elsewhere, but I am wondering if the temps update on in real time?

Thanks,
Jeff

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 02:07 AM

any notes on Tiger performance increase for Pismo?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 09:18 AM

i'm really ehhhh on this update, especially seeing how i can't use my favorite app of all time...iScroll!!!!!
I am so glad you said that. I would have flipped if I installed Tiger and iScroll quit working. I'll update to Tiger right away on my desktop, but will have to wait until iScroll gets updated before installing it on my PB.

Stratus Fear
Senior User
Apr 22, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by spiff72
For those of you who claim to have used Tiger on a PB, have you had a chance to try the Temperature Monitor program (or any temp monitor programs) under Tiger? I have posted this elsewhere, but I am wondering if the temps update on in real time?
Tiger doesn't seem to fix anything with the temperature sensors, unfortunately. Woke my PB up from sleep this morning and the temperatures were listed around 50-55C, which they definitely are not, and I never noticed them changing in realtime if I'd sit there and watch Temperature Monitor, either.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 11:06 AM

Tiger is definitely a lot faster on my PB--don't know how to measure that qualitatively, but it's noticable in finder operations, switching apps, etc.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by mrmister
Tiger is definitely a lot faster on my PB--don't know how to measure that qualitatively, but it's noticable in finder operations, switching apps, etc.
Just curious...what PowerBook do you have? I'm wondering what Tiger will do for my still-useful TiBook/667/DVI that I'm holding on to until Apple comes out with something that'll really knock my socks off.

Voch

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 11:20 AM

Guess I'd better start backing up my 17" since Tiger is growling really close now...
And you have done well in waiting, possibly for a G5 Powerbook. The G4 aluminums are great but nothing in the league of "knock your socks off" reguarding your 667 DVI, a quick and quiet machine that I sold for my 17".

giggs11
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I am so glad you said that. I would have flipped if I installed Tiger and iScroll quit working. I'll update to Tiger right away on my desktop, but will have to wait until iScroll gets updated before installing it on my PB.
Hmm, actually according to the iScroll website:

Does it work with Tiger?

Because I can't test iScroll2 on Tiger so far, the installer currently will refuse to do its thing on non-Panther systems. I have, however, received various reports of people using iScroll2 successfully with 10.4. Thus, if you feel like giving it a try, just modify the OS version check in the InstallationCheck script inside the installer package appropriately. If you don't know how perform the modification, you probably shouldn't be trying to do this anyway.

osxisfun
Apr 22, 2005, 11:48 AM

>667 DVI

They were quiet?

I ended up selling mine due to the fan kicking in. When it did was just impossible for me to think.

I'm coming back now to the powerbooks...Should be purchasing a new 17" next week?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 01:14 PM

the rev that i got is the gold edition...i'm sure it's the version that is going to be sold across the us this coming 29th. iphoto is giving me trouble (lots of unexpected quitting), iscroll doesnt work, the stuffit that comes with the system didn't work but that could be an update issue maybe, and spotlight didn't archive when i did my fresh install so now the only way it'll pull up results is if i open the file so that spotlight could recognize it, but then what's the point of spotlight in the first place...and no, there are no archive buttons in spotlights preferance tab (this sux). on the brightside, mouse speeds have gotten lots faster, no more lost cursor when using spanning mode, dashboard is great (so was konfabulator), airport signals have increased (don't know what the reason for this could be), and i got tiger before any of you guys...eat your hearts out,.........just kiddin .

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
>667 DVI

They were quiet?

I ended up selling mine due to the fan kicking in. When it did was just impossible for me to think.
Mine runs really well...it's a refurbished model I bought in February 2003 that's had none of the TiBook problems knock-on-wood (no paint peeling, the hinges are perfect, no bad pixels, etc.). I bought AppleCare for it and have had one repair ever (the power connector was loose...Apple fixed it within the same week).

The fan kicks in on "low" if I connect to my PC via Gigabit ethernet and copy a bunch of big files or run Quake 3 with all the toys turned on. I've heard the fan on "high" a few times and it's nasty but that's rare. I use a CoolPad unless I use it on my lap. When web surfin', reading Usenet news, or watching a DivX video it's been a great computer.

It's the best machine I've ever owned but I'm itchin' for an upgrade someday...probably when my AppleCare is up in February. I'm debating whether I want to splurge on Tiger next week for it or wait until I upgrade to a new machine and make this a "keep at home" Panther server.

Voch

Alfonso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 01:52 PM

the rev that i got is the gold edition...i'm sure it's the version that is going to be sold across the us this coming 29th. iphoto is giving me trouble (lots of unexpected quitting), iscroll doesnt work, the stuffit that comes with the system didn't work but that could be an update issue maybe, and spotlight didn't archive when i did my fresh install so now the only way it'll pull up results is if i open the file so that spotlight could recognize it, but then what's the point of spotlight in the first place...and no, there are no archive buttons in spotlights preferance tab (this sux). on the brightside, mouse speeds have gotten lots faster, no more lost cursor when using spanning mode, dashboard is great (so was konfabulator), airport signals have increased (don't know what the reason for this could be), and i got tiger before any of you guys...eat your hearts out,.........just kiddin .
I did a clean install. My spotlight is great and fast. And I have definitely noticed a HUGE increase in speed. Even when starting OS X, it is much faster. Airport signal is full now, used to be 3 lines. Only problem is VLC keeps unexpectedly quitting sometimes, though. Should be a fix soon.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2005, 02:13 PM

no doubt that spotlight is superfast, just on my end...it didn't archive any of the stuff i moved over. so now for it to register under spotlight, each file has to have a modified date after the date i installed tiger. oh well....also forgot to mention that the energy saver is lots better for pb. when your pb sits unused it dims the screen, not to black...to conserve power...and the settings are in the menu bar (thank god, no more having to go to system preferences and changing when i plug and unplug.

U n i o n 0015
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 05:32 PM

I'm running Tiger now and it is noticeably faster on my 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook than Panther was. I am extremely surprised at how quick this OS is. It's hard to believe.

Just try minimizing windows. People would complain at how slow it was. It's sooo much faster! If OS X haters don't enjoy Tiger, I am not sure what would satisfy them. Tiger is a significant improvement over Panther.
12" 1.5GHz Aluminum PowerBook G4
15" 1GHz Titanium PowerBook G4

osxisfun
Apr 22, 2005, 05:38 PM

oh man. even when i do get my powerbook, i still have to wait for the upgrade(not that i am complaining too much its only going to cost me 10 bucks)

I'm jealous of all you...

philz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 08:06 PM

My 12" 1Ghz PB with 768MB is now capable of displaying on a 1280x1024 external monitor smoothly (in 'clamshell mode'). This makes me very very happy. Scrolling in Safari seems much much faster as well. Dashboard can get a little slow but everything else is great.

SEkker  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2005, 05:32 PM

I just ran a Tiger Archive and Install on my revAPB17.

My impressions: not really faster than a fresh discwarrior-cleaned version of Panther 10.3.9.

[note: in contrast, there was a noticable speed boost going from 10.2 to 10.3]

I wonder if most of the speed boosts people notice in the finder is simply from a clean OS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules