Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Speculation on iMacs

Speculation on iMacs
markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 02:03 PM

I am waiting for the update so i can get my new iMac, I AM SWITCHING!!, anyone got any guesses on when they are gonna come out, i am excitied and it will ship with Tiger!

StonedRose
Apr 12, 2005, 04:44 PM

The word on the street is a good eMac/iMac update very soon. Wasn't today. Maybe next Tues. But very soon.

Aloha.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 09:29 PM

Think Secret still says this month, and they have a good record... so if they're accurate, within 2 weeks.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2005, 10:32 PM

hopefully

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 01:05 PM

I was just offered a loan so I could get an iMac, so I'm interested in this topic. I know TS says this month. But they have also just said Apple is updating the powermacs supposedly next week. They wont update two machines at the same time will they?

I could have bought one yesterday, but I'm holding out hoping TS is right

In any case I'm hoping the update brings dual layer DVD burning, 2 Ghz proc. and a better graphics card. thats all I think it needs. A built in TV tuner would be nice as well.

Chris

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I was just offered a loan so I could get an iMac, so I'm interested in this topic. I know TS says this month. But they have also just said Apple is updating the powermacs supposedly next week. They wont update two machines at the same time will they?

I could have bought one yesterday, but I'm holding out hoping TS is right

In any case I'm hoping the update brings dual layer DVD burning, 2 Ghz proc. and a better graphics card. thats all I think it needs. A built in TV tuner would be nice as well.

Chris
Don't hold your breath on the dual layer burning or the TV tuner for the iMac. I would say the dual layer burner is possible for the PowerMac though.

Here is what I think will happen with the iMac:

Low-end model:

1.8GHz
17"
Combo drive
600MHz BUS
80GB HD
512 RAM
64MB GPU

Mid level model:

2.0GHz
17"
8X Superdrive
900MHz BUS
80GB HD
512MB RAM
64MB GPU
Built-in Bluetooth
128MB GPU BTO option

Top of the line:

2.0GHz
20"
8X Superdrive
900MHz BUS
160MB HD
512MB RAM
64MB GPU
Built-in Bluetooth
128MB GPU BTO option

Last but not least:

A fix for the damned "fan noise problem" with a firmware update! I would be really surprised if Apple didn't have at least a BTO for the GPU. The eMac and iBook are in real need for a GPU update and I don't see Apple doing that until they get the iMac up to speed.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 02:22 PM

Well at least we know it will have 512 stock ram for sure. Now whether that's one stick or two... It will probably be two as it's cheaper and screws us, the consumer for upgrades in typical apple fashion.

Chris

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Well at least we know it will have 512 stock ram for sure. Now whether that's one stick or two... It will probably be two as it's cheaper and screws us, the consumer for upgrades in typical apple fashion.

Chris
If Apple doesn't put 512MB as stock I think I would be pissed. Tiger calls for 256MB minimum. I really feel that all versions of OSX should have required 256MB. The 128MB minimum is just plain painful. It was enough to run the OS, and badly I might add, but that is about it.

Hopefully it will be one module and not two. 768MB seems to be the sweet spot as it stands right now. 256MB modules are real cheap and would save a small chunk of change for someone. I upgraded from 768MB to 1GB without any real performance improvement.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2005, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
If Apple doesn't put 512MB as stock I think I would be pissed. Tiger calls for 256MB minimum. I really feel that all versions of OSX should have required 256MB. The 128MB minimum is just plain painful. It was enough to run the OS, and badly I might add, but that is about it.

Hopefully it will be one module and not two. 768MB seems to be the sweet spot as it stands right now. 256MB modules are real cheap and would save a small chunk of change for someone. I upgraded from 768MB to 1GB without any real performance improvement.
Yeah, unless you're running memory intensive apps like Photoshop along with a plethora of other apps all at once, no more than 1 GB is really needed. 512 should even suffice.

Chris

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 10:26 AM

According to this TS article the new iMac (codename Q45C/D) line-up will be
� 17", 1.8GHz, Combo
� 17", 1.8GHz, SD
� 20", 2.0GHz, SD

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 11:51 AM

I think the most important bit in that Think Secret article is that the video chipset should become a 128 MB Radeon 9600 on all models. That's a major boost by any stretch, and instantly makes the iMac much more viable for gaming (though it's still not on the level of the PowerMac) as well as apps that rely heavily on CoreImage to work well, such as Motion.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Commodus
I think the most important bit in that Think Secret article is that the video chipset should become a 128 MB Radeon 9600 on all models. That's a major boost by any stretch, and instantly makes the iMac much more viable for gaming (though it's still not on the level of the PowerMac) as well as apps that rely heavily on CoreImage to work well, such as Motion.
Good point. The 128MB 9600 is a worthy card for the iMac. Not too expensive, good enough for (casual) gaming. If they don't raise the prices, the new iMac will look pretty good.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 11:59 AM

More power, better video card and more sdram. Sounds good. Wonder what the pricing will be.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2005, 01:51 PM

on the thinksecret article where it says that blue tooth will ship pre-installed does that mean it is free and don't have to pay the $50 you do now? hopefully these will come out right when Tiger does...im ready for mine.

neilio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2005, 02:43 PM

Hm.... I'm tempted to upgrade my 20" iMac already, just for the improved video card.

Any takers?
Cocoatech Design / Marketing
Try Path Finder, the integrated, powerful file browser for Mac OS X for free!
http://www.cocoatech.com/pf.php

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 03:58 PM

Personally I would not get an iMac unless they have worked the bugs out of it.

I have had several issues with my 17" 1.8GHz iMac which are not isolated incidences. The "fan noise" issue, BT come and goes, and now the thing smells like it is on fire. According to the Apple Discussion forums the burning smell is an on going issue also.

If Apple finds a fix for these problems I wouldn't have a problem recommending the machine to someone.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 12:25 PM

If TS is correct then this is a damn nice upgrade and pretty much all that I wanted, cept for the tv tuner, but that's available 3rd party anyways for a fair price.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2005, 01:58 PM

please go into details about this 3rd party tv tuner

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by markb8705
please go into details about this 3rd party tv tuner
This is the one I've been looking at:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvmain

There are other brands also, just google it.

Chris

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
Think Secret still says this month, and they have a good record... so if they're accurate, within 2 weeks.
Maybe around the time of the NAB in Vegas? I hear there will be a p-mac update there.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2005, 01:36 AM

anyone used one of those tv tuners or about to buy one and have any suggestions or know how well they work?

Spartan24
Apr 16, 2005, 05:13 PM

I've had the EyeTv 200 (firewire) for quite a while now and love it.. Have it hooked up to satellite TV receiver and it makes a nice tv/recorder on a 20" iMac.

I believe these units work even better on a G5 iMac tho.. Seems the 1.25 G4 works pretty hard to multitask when using it.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by neilio
Hm.... I'm tempted to upgrade my 20" iMac already, just for the improved video card.

Any takers?
That makes two of us. Have really enjoyed our 20 inch iMac. Thinking seriously about selling and buying the next version.

markb8705  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2005, 09:03 PM

im getting one

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2005, 01:55 PM

I would not get my hopes too high about this TS rumor saying eMacs and iMacs will get all the Radeon 9600. If true, what this leaves us with? ALL Apple lines from Mac mini to Power Mac, iBooks and Powerbooks included, with ATI graphics in their standard configuration. Why Apple would do that?

EDIT: oops, exception would be the 12" Powerbook.
( Last edited by Pierre B.; Apr 19, 2005 at 01:25 AM. )

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 05:00 AM

Though I'm hoping for an update I wouldn't count on it this month. Unless they redesigned the power supplies to be outside like the mini, the current design is faulty and the replacement parts are backordered by a month.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules