Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Speed difference between Linksys and AE base

Speed difference between Linksys and AE base
Spartan24
Aug 9, 2005, 06:06 PM

Hi everyone,

Was having a few problems with my AP Extreme Base Station (after the update) and had been looking for something to extend the range in my house anyway, so I picked up one of the new Linksys Wireless G Broadband Routers with SRX (WRT54GX).

I gotta admit it really seems to increase the signal throughout the house with only my standard G airport cards, however the connection to the internet seems excruciatingly slow compared to what it was before with the AP Base Station. It seems like web pages take at least 3 times longer to load! A broadband test shows good internet speeds, about the same as I have been used to.

Does anyone know if this is something common to using WPA encryption versus WEP? I've got the network closed and using the WPA personal and have tried different channels (11, 6) with no difference?

Does anyone have any experience that indicates this is normal for a Linksys, or are there some settings I need to tweak to get better performance with this thing?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2005, 08:08 PM

It is NOT using WPA instead of WEP. I'll go out on a (very stable) limb here and guess that you use DSL. AirPort Extreme Base Stations automatically detect the proper setting for something called "MTU" which stands for "Maximum Transmission Unit." This sets the size of packets that are formed by the hardware, starting with your network card. If you use packets that are too big, they don't get through properly and your throughput speed goes down-WAY down, usually to about half what it should be.

Most Linksys boxes do NOT automatically sense the correct MTU setting, but it is trivial to make the setting yourself. On page 13 of your manual are instructions on setting this on your box. It looks like you can tell the new WRT54GSX to automatically do this for you... (assuming you have the REALLY new box with three cool antennas).

Also, one reason you're getting better coverage is those antennas. External antennas will ALWAYS beat an internal antenna, such as what's in the AEBS.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spartan24  (op)
Aug 10, 2005, 02:34 PM

Thanks ghporter.... I am on a cable modem and it is, in fact, the new Linksys with 3 antennas.

LOL, never occured to me that I would have to RTFM.. hahaha .. Never had a problem with any of the other routers I have had, so I surprised the hell out of me when the thing was so slow. Thanks for your reply..I'll look into this MTU setting when I try it again (I got so disappointed with the speed, I disconnected and plugged my AP Base back in..

Spartan24  (op)
Aug 10, 2005, 04:44 PM

Looks like the problem was the DNS server in the proxy settings of Safari. I tried changing MTU and all that stuff but reverted it all back to default and then set the linksys router address in place of the AP Base Station and speed has become as good if not better than the base Station was.

Thanks for your help just the same.

Forum Links
Forum Rules