Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Has anyone tried EyeTV?

Has anyone tried EyeTV?
asodamiac
Senior User
Sep 22, 2005, 01:49 PM

Has anyone tried EyeTV or the EyeTV 200 recorder? I would love to watch TV on my PB in my dorm room, but don't want to buy a TV. I was looking into different recorders and the EyeTV recorder seems like a good deal. I also looked into the Plextor recorder, but it does not support Firewire. Has anyone tried either of these recorders? How are they? Thanks.
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

meta-phor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 04:26 PM

Eye TV generally are great.....I dont know what they are like in the US but the digital free to air reciever version here in the UK is awesome. I use it on my iBook to watch TV in the bedroom. As a product I would recommend them but again not sure what model is best for you in the states!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 04:36 PM

I have the EyeTV 200 connected to a dual G4 1.4GHz, 1GB RAM, 9000 Pro w/ 22" Cinema Display. Haven't had any problems and runs great. It's nice to surf the web and watch TV at the same time. Picture quality at normal resolution is good - 720 x 480. When I go to full screen on my 22", it doesn't look that good up close, but when you step back about 7 feet, it looks fine. Elgato just released an update to their software that introduced progressive scan, which makes the picture look even better, but it does tax your system. What I like most is it is a DVR. Pausing TV is great when you are watching football and you have to go to the bathroom. Also, recording shows and burning them to DVDs couldn't be any easier.

Spartan24
Sep 25, 2005, 02:35 PM

I've had the EyeTv200 for about a year and use it on my iMac G4 20". This is really a great combination and I would highly recommend the Elgato products.. OH yeah, and firewire is the only way to go with these devices IMHO.

as2
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 06:41 PM

EyeTV 410 here - use it to receive digital TV here in the UK and it's great.

I'm currently watching 'The Sex Films They Tried To Ban' on Channel 4 while I right this.

It's quite good for watching TV while your working on your computer, and also the PVR features, as mentioned above are great.

Also, get yourself a subscription to an online TV guide and schedule your recordings that way.

I can even use WAP on my phone to set a recording while I'm away on business!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

bryoung
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 10:02 PM

check this link out for all the info you need.

link
24" iMac 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 20" iMac 2.0GHz Core Duo ~ 13" MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo

Forum Links
Forum Rules