Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Macs getting cheaper every year?

Macs getting cheaper every year?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 01:23 AM

I went to the Inflation Calculator and entered the price for the 1984 original Mac, which was 2499 dollars back then.

What cost $2495 in 1984 would cost $4618.17 in 2005.

Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2005 and 1984,
they would cost you $2495 and $1347.94 respectively.
Ergo, Macs get cheaper by the year since they always stay in the 1000-2000 price range approximately?

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2005, 01:34 AM

Mac in 1984: $2499
Mac in 2005: $499
ergo, Macs get cheaper with time.

Mac in 2005: $19,448 [Xserve, maxed out]
ergo, Macs get (much) more expensive with time.

Part of the difference is simply due to Apple's product line expanding.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
Mac in 2005: $499
ergo, Macs get cheaper with time.

Mac in 2005: $19,448 [Xserve, maxed out]
ergo, Macs get (much) more expensive with time.

Part of the difference is simply due to Apple's product line expanding.
I don't think the xServe is a fair comparison... you'd have to compare to one of the mainframe/servers of the day, which was far more expensive. The Mac 128k is much more similar in capabilities (compared to the time in which it was made!) of the iMac or maybe the PowerMac, both of which are considerably cheaper in today's dollars.

That said, PCs are still a lot cheaper.

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid
Indeed. But, hey, you get what you pay for, right?

And I think that even if the price of Macs is going down, the solution I (and many others) need will cost a fair bit of money. I'm willing to pay. (As I'm sure everyone else here is as well.. or they probably wouldnt be here.)

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 03:15 AM

A plain light bulb is cheaper on initial investment also.

But a long lasting, lower energy consumption, flourescent bulb is cheap in the long run.

PCs are cheaper the day you buy it, but Macs are cheaper over the next three years.

Less software to buy as 90% of what the average consumer needs is preinstalled, No anti-virus/spyware/malware software to buy, and Longer product life.

One of the best financial decisions I made computer-wise was to switch to Apple computers.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
A plain light bulb is cheaper on initial investment also.

But a long lasting, lower energy consumption, flourescent bulb is cheap in the long run.

PCs are cheaper the day you buy it, but Macs are cheaper over the next three years.

Less software to buy as 90% of what the average consumer needs is preinstalled, No anti-virus/spyware/malware software to buy, and Longer product life.

One of the best financial decisions I made computer-wise was to switch to Apple computers.
To avoid lockination (I'm looking in PowerMacMan/Lateralus' direction) let's not get into it. PM me if you like.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 03:39 AM

To avoid lockination (I'm looking in PowerMacMan/Lateralus' direction) let's not get into it. PM me if you like.
Huh, no, you PM me if you want to reply to my post. I stated what I believe.

Refute me if you want to, but you made a claim and I addressed it.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 15, 2005, 03:41 AM

Huh, no, you PM me if you want to reply to my post. I stated what I believe.

Refute me if you want to, but you made a claim and I addressed it.
Doesn't being that self-righteous make you tired?

Welcome to my ignore list, pal.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2005, 07:44 AM

Less software to buy as 90% of what the average consumer needs is preinstalled
I agree with the exception of MS Office. It's expensive to buy standalone, and it'll be nice if Apple ever comes out with an Excel replacement.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 08:25 AM

You two get a room!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Railroader
Banned
Nov 15, 2005, 08:37 AM

Huh? You've joined a good sized list of people who have promised me that but have eventually let me down.

You are one super sensitive guy.

Why didn't you PM me?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2005, 10:39 AM

That is awesome news that the price of the Mac has decreased over time. Steve has done a great job of keeping the price the same, but giving us more in specifications. Now if Steve would just advertise the Mac.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

birdman
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2005, 01:43 AM

Railroader, I think what mr. plaid meant was that if we discuss the short- and long-term costs of Mac vs. PC ownership, Lateralus will lock the thread. But I guess if he plonk'd you it's kinda moot now.

-birdman

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2005, 02:27 AM

Okay... if your preminition of lockination is accurate, I fear what I am about to say may fulfill the profecy.

Frankly, you are the one being self-righteous. If you want to argue or refute something someone said, the ball is in your court--you've gotta PM them. Why should anyone PM someone asking, "Hey, would you mind denying what I say and arguing with me?" No, if you want an argument and you don't want in in the thread, you send the first PM.

Then you have the arrogance to block a person for 1) not doing something utterly foolish (PM you to request your argument) and 2) stating their beliefs.

================

Railroader: I would argue that I would buy an incandescent over a flourescent because it is dimmable and it has a nicer color, IMO. (If you get the "full-spectrum" ones). Macs have more features, and they look nicer. ...not like a florsecent bulb.

Perhaps buying a PC is actually more like buying a halogen--you pay more in general, and you risk burning your house down!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 02:32 AM

There are always two. A master and an aprentace. Both of whom will probably lcok this threat.

I need spell check.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 16, 2005, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
Okay... if your preminition of lockination is accurate, I fear what I am about to say may fulfill the profecy.

Frankly, you are the one being self-righteous. If you want to argue or refute something someone said, the ball is in your court--you've gotta PM them. Why should anyone PM someone asking, "Hey, would you mind denying what I say and arguing with me?" No, if you want an argument and you don't want in in the thread, you send the first PM.

Then you have the arrogance to block a person for 1) not doing something utterly foolish (PM you to request your argument) and 2) stating their beliefs.
Hey, thanks for the reprimand.

First, and I'm sorry this wasn't perfectly clear, but I suppose I should have said "PM me if you are interested in continuing the conversation." I wasn't interested enough to do it on my own.

Second, this not my first interaction with Railroader and my judgment is based on those as well. Sorry that I didn't start a separate thread about how much I hate Railroader and list his offenses; you can find plenty of others willing to do that if you like.

One more thing. How is it "arrogant" to block someone? I'm tired of hearing from Railroader; if I want self-righteous certainty on issues, I'll watch O'Reilly. It doesn't affect him -- or you, for that matter. (Incidentally, is it "arrogant" of me that I don't watch O'Reilly?)

Oh, and PM me if you want to continue this obviously personal conversation.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
Railroader: I would argue that I would buy an incandescent over a flourescent because it is dimmable and it has a nicer color, IMO. (If you get the "full-spectrum" ones). Macs have more features, and they look nicer. ...not like a florsecent bulb.

Perhaps buying a PC is actually more like buying a halogen--you pay more in general, and you risk burning your house down!
Very good analogy. PCs=Halogen. Those cheap halogen floor lamps that if the fall over will burn your house down. That is, if the bulb isn't burnt out already.

And Macs=expensive dimmable flourescent bulbs. ?

Railroader
Banned
Nov 16, 2005, 02:51 AM

Hey, thanks for the reprimand.

First, and I'm sorry this wasn't perfectly clear, but I suppose I should have said "PM me if you are interested in continuing the conversation." I wasn't interested enough to do it on my own.

Second, this not my first interaction with Railroader and my judgment is based on those as well. Sorry that I didn't start a separate thread about how much I hate Railroader and list his offenses; you can find plenty of others willing to do that if you like.

One more thing. How is it "arrogant" to block someone? I'm tired of hearing from Railroader; if I want self-righteous certainty on issues, I'll watch O'Reilly. It doesn't affect him -- or you, for that matter. (Incidentally, is it "arrogant" of me that I don't watch O'Reilly?)

Oh, and PM me if you want to continue this obviously personal conversation.
Huh, I was unaware we had much of a "history".

It's too bad that you hate me. I assure you, the feeling is unrequited.

Sometimes I'll disagree vehemently with someone's beliefs, but I certainly don't hate them.

And I'll always listen to them. And ocassionally, I'll agree with them.

I only ignore the flagrantly profane and vulgar.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2005, 07:42 AM

Those cheap halogen floor lamps
Those things have 1200W bulbs in them. For the math challenged, that's the same as 20 60W bulbs. So, that would be a Prescott with a top end vid card.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2005, 08:13 AM

He wasn't being self righteous.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Ergo, Macs get cheaper by the year since they always stay in the 1000-2000 price range approximately?
What kind of question is that supposed to be ?

-t

galarneau
Senior User
Nov 16, 2005, 05:01 PM

Wasn't the Mac IIfx $10,000 back in the day?

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/ma.../mac_iifx.html

You could buy 3 Quad G5's with that much money today, even without factoring in inflation.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2005, 05:56 PM

Wasn't there one year when there was no change in the Mac desktop lineup? If I recall correctly, we went through a period where the G3 was stuck at 500mhz for around 12 months (or possibly longer).

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2005, 06:00 PM

it's hard to believe that the retail for my clamshell in 2000 and what i paid for my loaded 12" powerbook last year are about the same.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2005, 07:20 PM

A useful comparison would be that of their price to performance ratio in MIPS or FLOPS per dollar. Ray Kurzweil has made many examples using these to illustrate the exponential nature of technological development.
DBGFHRGL!

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 02:47 AM

Very good analogy. PCs=Halogen. Those cheap halogen floor lamps that if the fall over will burn your house down. That is, if the bulb isn't burnt out already.

And Macs=expensive dimmable flourescent bulbs. ?
Yesyesyes... I think this is much more accurate. Although if you don't mind I'd like to add one detail--expensive full-spectrum dimmable flourescent bulbs. Can't forget how much better the Macs look!!

On a side note--I find your most recent relpy to strictly plad to be very true. It is a shame he has (or at least appeard to have) jumped the gun and is unable to read it. *sigh* oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules