Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Why America is on the decline . . . .

Why America is on the decline . . . .
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 10:30 PM

There is no way that kids growing up today will develop into normal people if they are listening to this crap:

And before you post the timeline, his followup single "Get Silly" is climbing up the charts fast. It is even worst than his first one, whatever it was called.

You think things are bad now, just wait until all the little degenerates that were raised on "Get Silly" come of age. They will be even more dysfunctional than their baby boomer grandparents who were weaned on garbage like the Beatles Anthology, which sadly sounds like Mozart in comparison to today.

Yes, back in the day they had real heros--Astronauts, and hard rockers like Ozzy. These hip hop clowns are nothing in comparison, and are endemic of the degeneration of Western culture. I, for one, will welcome our new Eastern overlords.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 10:50 PM

What do the words in this guy's songs entail? I'm not up on my hip hop, so I honestly don't know... Or, does the overall quality of his music simply stand out as being particularly poor?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 11:00 PM

You forgot to mention those evil liberals in this post, Kerrigan. You're slipping.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 11:29 PM

Amazingly enough, it was only yesterday that I was hanging out with some friends in New Haven and, in an attempt to find some music to test the fun and various new iPhone apps that identify music we flipped to MTV. 'Get Silly' was on (besson: just imagine the worst and most inane possible song thta could be entitle 'Get Silly' and you'll basically have the right idea).

I wish I could remember the exact words we used, but the sentement was exactly that in the title of this post.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 12:04 AM

This is what your parents said about Metallica, and what their parents said about Elvis, as their parents said about Louie Armstrong. When they're old enough to have teenagers, this guy's fans will be dercrying the fall of civilization as evidenced by that horrid noise their children are listening to. It's a timeless tradition.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 12:05 AM

wait -- I thought we were on the decline because we are having a Mental Recession, and are a nation of whiners.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Tiresias
Jul 15, 2008, 12:29 AM

I read recently about a Mesopotamian cuneiform tablet, one of the oldest surviving pieces of writing. Its author was bemoaning that the youth of "today" were not as diligent with their schoolwork or as polite as they used to be.

Confucius complained about the same thing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:45 AM

The bigger question is: Why is the OP listening to Soulja Boy? Lol@him.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 15, 2008, 01:01 AM

I blame those hypocritical, wacky, mentally retarded, communist libbies.

Oh and black/white holes.

Pat Boone is the anti-christ.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jul 15, 2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I read recently about a Mesopotamian cuneiform tablet, one of the oldest surviving pieces of writing. Its author was bemoaning that the youth of "today" were not as diligent with their schoolwork or as polite as they used to be.

Confucius complained about the same thing.
Hah, sad thing is they are all right. Each generation seems to be more worse off than the last. I've seen the movie Idiocracy. {Cringe}

Honestly though, after looking at some of my cousin's and his friends' Myspace pages, I'm very afraid for the future of the world.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I, for one, will welcome our new Eastern overlords.
Yeah, because this is going to produce world-class rocket scientists.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tiresias
Jul 15, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lava Lamp Freak View Post
Hah, sad thing is they are all right. Each generation seems to be more worse off than the last. I've seen the movie Idiocracy. {Cringe}

Honestly though, after looking at some of my cousin's and his friends' Myspace pages, I'm very afraid for the future of the world.
Same could be said of YouTube comments. But most of these fellows are not the prize cretins they appear to be, they are just young. Isn't everyone a noob in high school? Youth are stupid insofar as they have no life experience. Go check out their MySpace pages after they've gotten a university education or had some more life experience. You may be pleasantly surprised? Let's hope so.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 01:51 AM

Same could be said of YouTube comments. But most of these fellows are not the prize cretins they appear to be, they are just young. Isn't everyone a noob in high school? Youth are stupid insofar as they have no life experience. Go check out their MySpace pages after they've gotten a university education or had some more life experience. You may be pleasantly surprised? Let's hope so.
With the University education comes the eradication of your MySpace page for the most part.

Tiresias
Jul 15, 2008, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
With the University education comes the eradication of your MySpace page for the most part.
You may be right. I don't really know much about MySpace. I may be the only person in the developed world who doesn't use social networking sites.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 02:33 AM

I may be the only person in the developed world who doesn't use social networking sites.
MaccNN lounge counts, imo.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 05:13 AM

Here's his cell number:

678-999-8212

You can phone him and tell him he's crap.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
This is what your parents said about Metallica, and what their parents said about Elvis, as their parents said about Louie Armstrong. When they're old enough to have teenagers, this guy's fans will be dercrying the fall of civilization as evidenced by that horrid noise their children are listening to. It's a timeless tradition.
I think you pretty much nailed it.

Things are also exaggerated today, because every Joe Blow Jr. has the ability to broadcast their indulgences to the entire world.

No doubt that given a medium like the Internet, youth culture of past generations spewing out all its unfettered, uncensored crap would have been equally inane. Probably more so.

The mythical time when people were ever anything other than people is just that- a mythical time.

Today, much of our culture admires wanksters and dippy wanna-be thugs.

In the past, people admired real gangsters, and real thugs.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 05:46 AM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post

Judging by that picture I think we can safely say that teenagers were older back in the day.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 07:27 AM

Let's face it - at any given time 98% of humanity has always been gibbering monkeys and we all swing from the framework the other 2% creates.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Judging by that picture I think we can safely say that teenagers were older back in the day.
When I saw it, I thought maybe that was a milf teacher who was having sex with a 17-year-old student who was steering the cycle.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 08:34 AM

The girl on the back of the motorcycle is Jan Smithers, who played Bailey Quarters on WKRP in Cincinnati. SHE used to hang around with Johnny Fever!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 08:34 AM

Yup. I was originally going to write "gee, that looks like your mom".

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 08:36 AM

Holy ****! That is Bailey. I didn't recognize her without the glasses.

Edit: and she was only seventeen.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 08:45 AM

Wtf.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 11:50 AM

I'd pay to see how "SoulJa Boy" does if they actually put him in a war.

OreoCookie
Jul 15, 2008, 11:54 AM

Rap music is bad for your kids, now there's an original thought.
Considering that my grandparents were complaining about Jazz and the Beatles. Probably their parents have been bitching about Swing. Or whatever came before that
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:25 PM

Eh, mainstream music always sucks ass, no matter what the genre is.

The only solace you can get is from knowing clowns like Solja Boy won't even be popular as early as next year, and eventually those that listen to him will acquire a better taste in music.

Remember Beyonce? 50 Cent? X-tina and Spears? What the hell have they done lately?

They'll all be damned to a life of having one of their tracks appear on "Now That's What I Call Music" Volume 150.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 01:27 PM

Get the hell off my lawn!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Eh, mainstream music always sucks ass, no matter what the genre is.

The only solace you can get is from knowing clowns like Solja Boy won't even be popular as early as next year, and eventually those that listen to him will acquire a better taste in music.

Remember Beyonce? 50 Cent? X-tina and Spears? What the hell have they done lately?

They'll all be damned to a life of having one of their tracks appear on "Now That's What I Call Music" Volume 150.
Xtina put out a pretty successful album and accompanying tour in 2006, took time off to have a baby, and is now recording again. Beyonce's been singing and acting and doing whatever she wants because she's completely rich and has an even richer boyfriend. Britney Spears went completely nuts.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Tiresias
Jul 15, 2008, 02:05 PM

From A Demon-Haunted World by Carl Sagan:

Every generation worries that educational standards are decaying. One of the oldest short essays in human history, dating from Sumer some 4,000 years ago, laments that the young are disastrously more ignorant than the generation immediately preceding. Twenty-four hundred years ago, the aging and grumpy Plato, in Book VII of the Laws, gave his definition of scientific illiteracy:

Who is unable to count one, two, three, or to distinguish odd from even numbers, or is unable to count at all, or reckon night and day, and who is totally unacquainted with the revolution of the Sun and Moon, and the other stars... All freemen, I conceive, should learn as much of these branches of knowledge as every child in Egypt is taught when he learns the alphabet. In that country arithmetical games have been invented for the use of mere children, which they learn as pleasure and amusement... I... have late in life heard with amazement of our ignorance in these matters; to me we appear to be more like pigs than men, and I am quite ashamed, not only for myself, but of all Greeks.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 15, 2008, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Considering that my grandparents were complaining about Jazz and the Beatles. Probably their parents have been bitching about Swing. Or whatever came before that
It may not be an original thought, but there is something about much of rap that's different, and that difference makes is not "bad" the way swing was, but "bad" as in "encouraging antisocial behavior." Swing music never encouraged people to "cap" each other over turf, rock 'n roll never encouraged sexism to the amazing extent much of rap does, and even the most psychedelic of psychedelic music never encouraged a drug culture the way rap often does. The lyrics DO matter; the ear may only notice the beat and rhythm, but the mind actually hears the words and processes them. And the words in much of rap are words encouraging a social system that is entirely antisocial.

Earlier generations complaints about kids' music were about what was "suggested" by the music or lyrics. Rap doesn't suggest anything; it's blatant.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 06:55 PM

There's been a lot of fatal stabbings in London of late. The government, as usual, blames the rich (literally "the kids are stabbing each other because they're poor and without opportunity"). Just last week I said to someone "I'll bet those dudes doing the stabbing aren't listening to S Club 7".

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
rock 'n roll never encouraged sexism to the amazing extent much of rap does
Hmm, how do you explain that young people tend to be the most tolerant? It is generally old fogies who support discrimination against gay couples, for example. I expect the same is broadly true for sexism and racism. Rap may have a negative influence, but I think it is more than cancelled out by positive influences.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
The bigger question is: Why is the OP listening to Soulja Boy? Lol@him.
Yea, lol@me for partying a lot and dancing with the slu.. I mean, girls who like this kind of music. Clearly I'm the loser here

Some things --yes, even Souljah Boy-- must be endured for the sake of sociability.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 01:09 AM

I guess I'm in the minority here. I for one could easily tolerate a song or ten about the slow roasting of babies AND the consumption of their tender flesh. Crap like this just makes me sad. Sad and hungry.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Verily I say, if thou doest perform the overtures of Beethoven about, thou canst hearken the fell tuning of the Morningstar.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
Hmm, how do you explain that young people tend to be the most tolerant? It is generally old fogies who support discrimination against gay couples, for example. I expect the same is broadly true for sexism and racism.
Not really. It depends entirely on the group of 'young people' or 'old fogies' for any of the above brash generalizations to be true, or to be the complete opposite.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2008, 03:39 AM

I think the decline in the USA is mostly economical.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Yea, lol@me for partying a lot and dancing with the slu.. I mean, girls who like this kind of music. Clearly I'm the loser here

Some things --yes, even Souljah Boy-- must be endured for the sake of sociability.
Moral relativism, know thyself.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 09:07 AM

I don't like hip hop or rap at all.

I do have to give the genre a ton of credit for destroying an old racial stereotype…

…the one that says "black people are musical".
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 10:04 AM

Turns out, computers have rhythm out the @ss.

Tiresias
Jul 16, 2008, 10:28 AM

I listen to Eminem, Mobb Deep, The Wu every now and then. It's good story-telling, it's lyrically driven, it's energetic, and kinda cathartic. But yes, it's very limited in its range and point of view.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Turns out, computers have rhythm out the @ss.
True. My computer simultaneously maintains two beats each at 2.4 billion bps.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:48 AM

Actually this is the real reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsiADdmoh3E

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Actually this is the real reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsiADdmoh3E
Don't talk shite. Our esteemed leaders (including whichever prat you guys voted in up there in Canuckistan) only do what they're told by TPTB.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Doof View Post
Don't talk shite. Our esteemed leaders (including whichever prat you guys voted in up there in Canuckistan) only do what they're told by TPTB.
By the sounds of that you are proud to be a C student also.

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 17, 2008, 12:23 PM

It'd be great if you could translate that into English so I could better ascertain what exactly you're babbling about and thus decide whether your incoherent drivel requires an intelligent response.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2008, 12:54 PM

I was a C student most my life, I also scored 10 points below genius twice on IQ tests.

Book learnin' ain't everything.

Tiresias
Jul 17, 2008, 01:21 PM

^ Admit it. The test was out of 10.

Forum Links
Forum Rules