Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Run Macbook Pro 24/7

Run Macbook Pro 24/7
Spartan24
Mar 22, 2009, 02:48 PM

Can't seem to find anything specific with a search, so I was curious if I can run my new Macbook Pro 17" 24/7 so that it will perform scheduled backups and allow network connections when I am not present? Basically use it like a desktop?

Does anyone have theirs running all the time (another words use the setting "Put the computer to sleep when it is inactive for: NEVER) and will it still stay awake when the lid is closed?

Thanks for a great forum!

ibook_steve
Mar 22, 2009, 03:04 PM

Sure you can do this. Why not? What's going to happen? If you're really concerned, just sleep the display.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Spartan24  (op)
Mar 22, 2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Steve

I guess I'm still a bit confused about what happens when I unplug the power adapter an take it on the road. Will this thing automatically park the heads on the HD and revert to the Battery settings or must I do something special?

I heard that the Macbooks will sleep the HD automatically when closing the lid to transport them, but not sure how this works and if it is, in fact, true. Hate to bang up the HD because I had it set to never sleep..

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2009, 03:42 PM

Close the lid on a MBP and it goes to sleep. Open it up and it wakes again. Take the power adapter out and the system will swithc to battery power settings, i.e. spin hard drive down as soon as possible when not it use, dim display when not used and automatically sleep when left alone (as set in the sys prefs)
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

calverson
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 09:23 AM

Yes, I leave my MacBook Pro on all the time, right now, the uptime is something like two weeks - and would be higher if there wasn't an update that I had to do.

I do travel, I just sleep it, and then open it up when I am at home or work or wherever I am going. Even flown across the country with it sleeping in my briefcase.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 09:39 AM

Your HDD will be fine. When you close the lid the MBP goes to sleep and parks the heads. Even if you move the HDD around while the MBP is running, the HDD is equipped with a system to prevent damage from violent acceleration (dropping for example).

Running it 24/7 is not problem at all. I've been running all my MBPs and PBs pretty much 24/7 and have never had any problems because of it. These are pro machines, they're designed and built to be used.

calverson
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 09:59 AM

You got the Unibody MacBook Pro?

Gloss or Matt? How are you finding it? (sorry for derailing...)

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2009, 02:33 PM

I second calverson's questions for feedback, especially if you've got the matte 17" unibody!

One thing to monitor if you sleep the MBP all the time: Open Activity Monitor occasionally (utilities folder) and click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. If you see a large figure in the Page Outs category, do a restart because all those page outs will slow things down.

The CPU tab, set to All Processes (at the top) is helpful in figuring out what's hogging all processing power, especially if the laptop's getting very hot.

calverson
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 02:37 PM

My uptime is 10 days, 17 page outs - 4GB RAM...

(although, I am about to embark upon an After Effects project, so that will change...)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
One thing to monitor if you sleep the MBP all the time: Open Activity Monitor occasionally (utilities folder) and click on the System Memory tab at the bottom. If you see a large figure in the Page Outs category, do a restart because all those page outs will slow things down.
Umm, no. If you encounter many page outs, buy more RAM.

No offense, but restarts are not any kind of necessary maintenance procedure. This aint Windows.

Spartan24  (op)
Mar 23, 2009, 05:14 PM

In response to inquiries.. no this is the new Glossy unibody 2.66 with stock 4 gig.

It's big! Coming from 13" Macbooks and MB Air it takes some getting used to, but makes a great desktop/laptop combo.

wrambro
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2009, 05:23 PM

The only way it will stay awake if the lid is closed is if you are running in clamshell mode (i.e. hooked up to an external monitor). To operate in clamshell mode, your power adaptor must be plugged in. Once unplugged, it'll sleep as if you had closed the lid otherwise.

I use my MBP in clamshell mode 90% of the time, I currently let it sleep after a while, but in the past I've let it stay awake indefinitely. Just be sure the power settings are correct and a monitor is plugged in.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by wrambro View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That all sounds quite right.

There's a sticky thread on closed-lid mode here for anybody who's interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules