Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > What to do for windows?

What to do for windows?
jeff k
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 04:35 PM

I have windows XP on my mac laptop.
I'm going to use it only for one software that I'll use a couple hours a day at most. Sometimes overnight.

Should I buy a virus protection and or firewall?

If so what do you all recommend? thanks! Best bang for buck or maybe free? or don't bother?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2009, 04:56 PM

If its just one piece of software and it works in Crossover, that would be much safer than windows.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2009, 04:56 PM

If your Windows software doesn't connect to the Internet, just disable your Windows network connection entirely and you won't have anything to protect yourself from.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 05:08 PM

Windows XP has a perfectly capable built-in firewall. As far as anti-virus is concerned, I've used Avast for years. It's free.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 07:36 PM

It's defininetly connecting to the internet. and it definitly needs Windows.
Atheist, thanks, I'll check it out.
Does it slow down things?
I know I got rid of anti-virus on Mac, on advice of tech guru and have not missed it, it really slowed and screwed up stuff.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 20, 2009, 09:04 PM

Avast doesn't noticeably slow down any Mac-based computer running Windows. Your "guru" should have found out what was wrong with the AV you were using, rather than just telling you to dump it-your Mac may not be at risk, but any Windows-based computer you sent files to could EASILY be infected if you originally got those files from an infected Windows source. I've NEVER had a moment's issue with Symantec products on either platform (I've been running their products on Windows platforms since the early 1990s, and on Macs since the early 2000s), as long as it's installed correctly and of course as long as nobody jacks around with the program's settings.

Back on topic, what Mac laptop do you have? Your signature talks about a Mac desktop...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2009, 11:19 PM

ghporter, thanks!
I'm have G5 desktop 1.8 older.
and newer white regular macbook.

I'll definitly get Avast for when I'm in Windows.

The guru owns/created a popular Mac Hardrive cloning software and is probably the most knowledgable person ever I had met regarding the Mas OS.

The horror stories of Symentic are legandary to you have been lucky.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 21, 2009, 08:13 PM

I haven't been lucky, I've been careful. As a computer security guy, it was my job to be that way. The legends come mostly from people not installing things per instructions or dinking around with settings without knowing what they were doing. And those issues don't always come from Symantec, either-a lot of them come from non-standard apps that interfere with the hooks any AV has to dig into the OS.

Your MacBook will be child's play to run Windows on natively, but don't fall into any sort of too-comfortable notion that you can behave as if it's running OS X when it comes to surfing, even with Avast or ClamAV-there are LOTS of traps for Windows machines on the web...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2009, 09:12 PM

I'd also recommend Windows Defender.

Use Firefox 3.5 or IE 8 to browse the web; either will protect you against most malicious websites. I'd recommend Firefox over IE to prevent any nasty ActiveX controls from doing anything, but generally speaking, you're really not going to have any problem. I run XP and Vista both without any AV, and I've had zero issues with malware, viruses, etc.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2009, 01:05 AM

thanks!

Bad Cyborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jeff k View Post
I'll definitly get Avast for when I'm in Windows.
The red umbrella FTW! More frequent updates and speedier scanning. Of course, to each his own. I've used both Avast and Antivir. These days I swear by the latter.

Read up on Windows Defender. It comes with Windows Vista, I don't use it.

BTW is there a reason you couldn't inform us of what Windows program you use "a couple of hours a day"? Something belonging to the keep-it-on-the-down-low category?

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2009, 09:53 AM

If you look around (try Newegg) you'll find several deals where you buy a security suite and get a mail-in rebate for the amount (or more) you paid. Spoofee is a good place people post deals and it's where I've recently seen free McAfee 2009 and ZoneAlarm. Prolly others too but I forgot...

AVG is a very good free alternative.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 10:06 PM

Atheist. I got Avast, working great, and after couple of months a sign comes up and says it's now going to expire unless I upgrade!

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 11:26 PM

I've never seen this behavior before. It does require you register... but you never have to pay.

jeff k  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2009, 11:29 PM

Thanks, I'll report back.....did say that it was expiring at end of October. keep you posted....

Forum Links
Forum Rules