Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Quick PATA question...

Quick PATA question...
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 01:52 AM

I have a G4 Sawtooth 400mhz, 100mhz system bus...
Would this drive work... I don't think it will as the interface is different... but I am curious (or do I have to get a controller card).

I also have an external FW enclosure that sits with a 120gb drive in it... Would that work in there instead and I can run it off the IDE in that?

Thanks in advance!

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 02:42 AM

I don't think your sawtooth can see the full 250gb of the drive but putting it in the firewire enclosure and putting your 120gb in the tower seems like a gret idea. The extra room on the 250 will allow you to back up both drives in the tower with no problem even if they are both 120gb.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I don't think your sawtooth can see the full 250gb of the drive but putting it in the firewire enclosure and putting your 120gb in the tower seems like a gret idea. The extra room on the 250 will allow you to back up both drives in the tower with no problem even if they are both 120gb.
See... that's exactly what I was thinking as using for backup... But, I want to make sure it will work in the enclosure...

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 03:11 AM

Although the site does not specifically say that that enclosure supports larger HD sizes it does use the oxford chipset and cost a lot so I would guess it does. I like taking chances of course, so you might want to wait until the morning to get an answer from someone running on more sleep.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
Although the site does not specifically say that that enclosure supports larger HD sizes it does use the oxford chipset and cost a lot so I would guess it does. I like taking chances of course, so you might want to wait until the morning to get an answer from someone running on more sleep.
Heh.. noted... Thanks though..!

David Thompson
May 18, 2005, 09:51 AM

You may find, as I did in my QS2001, that even with the 250gb drive in a firewire enclosure that your machine will not work with the drive without an added firewire card. OWC's $29 card (with USB2.0 as well) worked for me.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 10:38 AM

$100 for a freakin' HD Enclosure?

Holy crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...195878015&rd=1

That one is what you want.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 18, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerphile
$100 for a freakin' HD Enclosure?

Holy crap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...195878015&rd=1

That one is what you want.
What the hell is up with those lights? I like my enclosures because all they have is a power light that changes colors for read/write.
Mine were a drop more expensive though (both around $40), but mine are combo firewire and usb2

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2005, 04:23 PM

hm... I got a message back finally from the enclosure company:

Yes, this enclosure support large HDD as well.

If you have any question, please let me know

Sincerely,

Tom - Tech Support

Macally Peripherals
15861 Tapia St.
Irwindale, CA 91706

So, I guess it does.

Also, to bad that one up there is crippled by USB 2... Plus I only have 1.1 and fw400.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2005, 03:23 AM

Well... I took the chance... It works like a charm in the external case from Macally!

Thanks for all the info, guys... it helped a lot!

Forum Links
Forum Rules