Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Poblem with new RAM

Poblem with new RAM
Tim916
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 05:07 PM

Hi,

Here is the story: I ordered a Kingston 512mb stick from CDW for my 14" 933 ibook. After I installed it I had all sorts of problems with it freezing and Safari would just abrubtly quit at random times. I reinstalled it a couple of times just to make sure that it was seated right but to no avail. I reinstalled the original 128mb stick and the ibook worked fine.

Figuring that I had received a bad stick of RAM, I had CDW send me a replacement which I received today. I just installed it 15 minutes ago and I am having all of the same problems all over again (won't fully boot, Safari quits, messages saying I need to restart etc.). Is it possible that I got two bad sticks of ram or is there something else I need to do to get it to install correctly?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Tim

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2005, 05:39 PM

That is an interesting problem. When it's installed it says 768 (I'm assuming your base is 128) in the "About this Computer" window? If not then it's definitely not clicked all the way in there. I've heard numerous times of people (Including myself =( ) who have done ram upgrades and did not fully push the ram into place. It seemed to take a bit more force to get it in there then i thought it should.

As far as what else it could be I couldn't really give you a good idea so I'm not gonna try and guess and throw out bad answers.

Tim916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 07:05 PM

It actually reads 640mb when I put in the new stick. The base is 128mb and it comes with a 128mb stick in the slot. I could swear that I am inserting it all the way but I will give it another shot.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 1, 2005, 08:18 PM

When fully inserted, the SODIMM's gold contacts will be almost completely (or even completely) hidden. Insert the SODIMM at about a 45� angle until the whole thing stops (you should no longer be able to see the gold contacts), and then pivot it down until the latch catches.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tim916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 09:35 PM

I just tried it again with the same results. I am just going to return it and get a different brand. For some reason this Kingston stick just doesn't jive with my ibook.

leon03k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 03:29 AM

dam, I just order some Kingston 512 MB ram, Hopefully i dont have the same problems you have. Does anyone else have the Kingston ram and had no porblems/issues with their iBook?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2005, 09:54 AM

Just to ease your mind, Leon, I'm running a Kingston 512MB stick right now, with absolutely no problem. The difference-if it really is a difference-is that I ordered it straight from Kingston, and they waranted that it would work in my iBook. For that reason, I go with them every time, and skip the supposedly discounted prices from middlemen.

I've seen a lot of reports that indicate some iBooks are more sensitive to SODIMMS that aren't exactly on spec than others are. Your book may take even marginally correct parts, while your friend's may insist on exact spec matched parts. It's this kind of situation that makes me more than willing to pay maybe a little more to get exactly what my computer calls for.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 11:55 AM

Well, for what it's worth, I found a KingMax (N.B.: It's not Kingston) 1GB SO-DIMM (200-pin) at NewEgg for $200, and it works great so far in my brand-new 1.2 GHz iBook 12". I too was worried that there would be an unexpected problem, but thus far it's been nothing but a joy. The iBook absolutely flies now, and I couldn't be more pleased.

d0GGii
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 04:15 PM

my problem is a little different from urs

i ordered my 1g ram module from one of the threas on the powerbook forum about 2 months ago. it works great. however supposedly a 1g ram, my ibook only reads half of it, 512mb. Besides that i paid almost $180 but only got half of the chip working..everything else is fine.

i'll try to contact the manufacturer for information on the warrenty. hopefully when i get a new chip my ibook will read the whole 1g ram out of it.

leon03k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 07:46 PM

i just instllaed my 512 Kingston ram and so far I haven't ran into any issues but man were those four little screws that hold the airport card was a bitch to take off.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2005, 11:02 PM

I have also been using the KingMax 1GB stick from NewEgg in a 1GHZ G4 iBook and it works just fine. NewEgg has a good reputation product and service-wise.

All RAM should come with a Lifetime Warranty. Send back any questionable RAM immediately and get it replaced. A reputable dealer should not offer any resistance.

In one instance it took three attempts to get a decent RAM stick from 1-8004MEMORY. It was a hassle but at least they never argued with me regarding the returns. The first stick was obviously bad right from the beginning. The second stick was flagged by Apple when my G3 iBook went into the company for a warranty repair. It hadn't been causing noticeable problems, but 1-8004MEMORY replaced it based on what Apple said.

Tim916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 03:13 PM

Update:

I just received the 512mb stick from Apple today. I put in my ibook, turn it on, and all I get is a whirring sound that sounds like the HD or a fan. I tried installing it again and the same thing happens. I put the original 128mb stick back in and now it works fine. I really want to throw this thing out the window. Any ideas on whats happening now? I really need some more ram because 256mb isn't cutting it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Tim916:
Update:

I just received the 512mb stick from Apple today. I put in my ibook, turn it on, and all I get is a whirring sound that sounds like the HD or a fan. I tried installing it again and the same thing happens. I put the original 128mb stick back in and now it works fine. I really want to throw this thing out the window. Any ideas on whats happening now? I really need some more ram because 256mb isn't cutting it.
Maybe you didn't install the 512MB stick correctly. It goes in at an angle, and when it's correctly inserted, you almost can't see the gold contact fingers on the SODIMM anymore. You also have to pivot the SODIMM down until the latches catch it firmly.

If it is in correctly, then you probably got a bad part. Sorry, but it happens to the best, even Apple. And if you contact Apple and tell them that there's a problem with the part, they will replace it.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 04:52 PM

Could this software help in diagnosing RAM problems?

Tim916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 05:01 PM

The problem is with the airport card. It boots fine with the new RAM when I leave the airport card uninstalled, but when I plug the card in all I get is that whirring sound. All the pins on the card look clean and it seems to be seating properly so I don't know what else to do.

Tim916  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 10:28 PM

Problem solved. I took the airport card from my sister's ibook and put it in mine to see if mine was bad. It booted up just fine. Just for the heck of it I then reinstalled my own airport card and now it works fine. Very weird but I'm just glad that this is over (for now). Thanks for your help and suggestions everyone.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 4, 2005, 10:43 PM

I'm glad everything worked out. Sometimes, computers really are so complicated that things like this just happen. At least you have a working computer, and you're not waiting for another part, wondering if it will work....

Forum Links
Forum Rules