Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Low-end iMac Non-Wireless

Low-end iMac Non-Wireless
Taloston Prez
Jul 30, 2000, 04:31 PM

Just poking around on the Apple Store, for the low-end Indigo iMac, it does not list "Airport Ready" as a spec. This wouldn't have affected me, but all of the other iMacs are listed as thus. It just strikes me as odd that if Apple is trying it's very hardest to sell this specific iMac to the school and education market that it wouldn't make it Airport compatible when wireless networking is such an asset in a school environment.

Or maybe they just forgot to include it.

Trevor Haldenby www.vividimagination.com

[This message has been edited by Taloston Prez (edited 07-30-2000).]

Misha
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2000, 05:03 PM

The $799 iMac does not support wireless... a cost-cutting measure, no doubt.

Along the similar cost-cutting lines, the $799 iMac is essentially the same as the previously $999 iMac 350. No R&D costs=cheap.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2000, 06:25 PM

I have to agree with Misha on this one, but the Indigo color is awefully cute. I saw one about a week ago at my neighborhood ComputerWare store.

The new mouse and keyboard are excellent, too. It's a wonder why they shipped an optical mouse with the lower-end iMac, then. On a side note, the new keyboard has an excellent feel to it.

The new low-end iMac has a 7-gigabyte hard disk drive, and the old low-end iMac had a 6-gigabyte hard disk drive. Perhaps they are using a slower drive on the new iMac as yet another cost-cutting measure.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2000, 12:44 AM

The new mouse and keyboard are excellent, too. It's a wonder why they shipped an optical mouse with the lower-end iMac, then. On a side note, the new keyboard has an excellent feel to it.
They shipped the optical mouse with it because everyone hated the older mouse and developing a low cost non-puck mouse would cost more in r&d.

We have a computer lab at our school full of indigo iMacs, lovingly refered to as "Lab 30" (room number) The new iMacs replaced the power towers that were around in seanyepez's era at our school.

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Forum Links
Forum Rules