Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Moving data from ibook to PowerBook

Moving data from ibook to PowerBook
Ulrich Kinbote
Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 04:06 AM

I've had my G3 ibook for a few years now and it has about 15 GB of personal data on it: music, photos, videos, text files and so on.

My new PowerBook G4 Superdrive arrives tomorrow (Yay!) and all I want to ask is:

What do I need to know about moving all my data to the new computer?

It should be immediately clear I am not an computer buff.

The man at the apple center told me he can move the data, but I am living in South Korea where Macs have not penetrated the market and are still very very uncommon. The apple center guy, for example, doesn't speak English has a Hyundai PC sitting on his desk amidst all the apples on display!!!!!

My concerns are that he'll botch it and the data will be lost, or that I will lose my settings, like, for example, my iTunes preferences, track information, etc, etc (I dread the thought) Or that I'll have files I can't open cos' the new software is incompatible.

I know these are stupid questions, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could take a moment to tell me about any potential risks, and how to avoid them.

Thanx.

hmccorkle
Sep 5, 2005, 04:51 AM

Ahhhhhhh no need to be a buff to do this.

I believe there IS a way to transfer files via Firewire.

Otherwise if you have either Airport, a LAN you're connected to, or perhaps a CAT5 cable, you can share your entire Powerbook hard drive and access it using your iBook, thus enabling you to transfer your files thataway.

View Screenshot:
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/958/picture23ga.jpg

That is my insight and advice, I'm sure there will be many more responses that are much more precise on how to do this.

Hope this helps!
( Last edited by hmccorkle; Sep 5, 2005 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added link)
elitesouth.com
fine web design for business and individuals

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 04:55 AM

I believe all new Macs come with a migration assistant that will move everything you need from your G3 to your new baby. The easiest way I know to connect them is via a firewire cable, and then you use firewire disk mode, which will make the hard drive of your new mac appear on the desktop of your old one (or vice versa). You can search apple's help or support sites for more info on firewire disk mode and migration assistant. It's a piece of cake now, really.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 04:57 AM

If you have firewire on both, you can connect and the computer's Migration Assistant will move over everything for you.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Ulrich Kinbote  (op)
Senior User
Sep 5, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
If you have firewire on both, you can connect and the computer's Migration Assistant will move over everything for you.
Migration Assistant... Firewire... got it.

Thanks for the info.

Great Mac forum by the way. First to reply of all those I posted the question on.

Can Migration Assistant transfer bookmarks from Safari?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ulrich Kinbote
Migration Assistant... Firewire... got it.

Thanks for the info.

Great Mac forum by the way. First to reply of all those I posted the question on.

Can Migration Assistant transfer bookmarks from Safari?

you'll have some options with migration assistant. you can definitely migrate your "personal" stuff (mail, bookmarks, music, etc)

if anything didnt copy over, there's always target disk mode
target disk mode
(which is basically what you're doing anyway!)

have fun
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2005, 09:50 AM

The migration assistant will transfer everything, including Safari bookmarks. When you first turn your new Mac on, it will ask if you want to transfer from an old machine. When you say yes, it will lead through all of the steps.

Chris

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2005, 06:46 PM

Sorry to resurrect this but rather than start a new thread I thought I'd ask here ...

Will the migration assistant transfer complete programs as well? If not, what do I need to copy to the new machine, the .dmg file?

Thanks, I'm new to Macs (~2 years) and haven't does this before ...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 08:54 PM

The migration assistant will copy everything if you ask it to...couldn't be easier.

Chris

El Magnificante
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 10:37 AM

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules