Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Why is my replacement iPods Backlight Blue?

Why is my replacement iPods Backlight Blue?
kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 12:05 PM

My new 15gb iPod **** the bed, and Apple just sent me a new one. The one that broke had a white backlight, but the replacement has a blue one. Its god-awful.

Does anyone else have the blue backlight? And if so, why the hell did they change it? It's appauling.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 12:28 PM

Perhaps they are using lights from 2 different companies.

I agree that blue would look stupid. Glad mine is white.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 12:39 PM

blue is what it was supposed to be, some manufacturers used white. i actually prefer blue and a lot of other people do too (many who got the white instead were disappointed, trade yours with them!). It's not an ugly blue, but subtle, not really that noticeable, aka not blue enough to say "whoa, that's SO blue!" or "gee this blue looks stupid." i saw the blue before the white and i think that the white is a little harsh compared to the warmer, mellower blue.
some people with the white backlights like to pretend they like the white better because they don't have much of a choice *cough* (just like some people like to pretend that they like the old iPods better because they can't afford a new one)... there are always exceptions to these rules, though.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 12:45 PM

I think blue would look cheese as it isn't like Apple to mix 4 colours on one unit. White, silver read and Blue? Hmmmm.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kulverse  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 12:53 PM

Well That doesn't apply to me, since I've had both white and blue. And my iPod is new.

I prefer the white, but it's only a backlight. Nothing to get upset about. I was just wondering. The blue just looks odd to me.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
I think blue would look cheese as it isn't like Apple to mix 4 colours on one unit. White, silver read and Blue? Hmmmm.
blue is the color it's been advertised with, and really it is a slight blue that i think is more friendly to the eyes. personally i don't think the backlight is that big of a deal, and i don't think either look bad. but i understand how it would be weird for someone who has only been exposed to one color. the blue is definitely not hideous, though.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 06:00 PM

I've experimented with my 30GB iPod and have read many posts about this on the web and have come to the conclusion that although there are variations in the manufacturing process, the differences have as much to do with perception and lighting conditions.

Look at your backlight from different angles in different lighting conditions (sun, flourescent, incandescent, etc.). In some cases, you'll see more blue than in others. It'll also appear more blue when looking at it from above or below, while it'll appear more white from a sideways angle, depending on the lighting.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I've experimented with my 30GB iPod and have read many posts about this on the web and have come to the conclusion that although there are variations in the manufacturing process, the differences have as much to do with perception and lighting conditions.

Look at your backlight from different angles in different lighting conditions (sun, flourescent, incandescent, etc.). In some cases, you'll see more blue than in others. It'll also appear more blue when looking at it from above or below, while it'll appear more white from a sideways angle, depending on the lighting.
lighting condition doesn't explain this

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
You're right - I saw that photo during my reading, and that's why I said that there were real manufacturing variations. Perhaps I should have been clearer: what I'm trying to say is that a given person could perceive their backlight as more blue or more white depending on a number of variables, including lighting types and angles. Indeed, a number of people have reported that their backlights appear more blue after the recent software update, even though there's no reason why the software would have such an effect. Therefore, without a reference point like the one you've provided, it's difficult to know what's what just from looking at a single iPod in isolation. Mine looks blue under some conditions, white under others.

I'd still like to know if this was a deliberate design decision or just a manufacturing quirk - at least one person familiar with LCD technology has said it could be the latter.

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
Finally, a side-by-side comparison to show that there really are two different backlights.

I got my girlfriend a 15 gig the day they were released, and it has a white backlight - no trace of blue. When another friend got his from dell a week or so ago the first thing I said when he turned it on was "man is that thing blue."

Personally after seeing both I prefer the white, but my gf was a bit disappointed when she saw the blue one, she said she likes that one a lot more.

kulverse  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 22, 2003, 08:40 PM

Yeah. It's not a subtle difference. I hate the blue, but it's just a backlight. It's not a big deal to me. I was just curious if this was a known thing.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2003, 08:55 PM

It's funny - I just checked my backlight again, and it had a distinctly pinkish hue (which has been reported by others). Put it under a light - purplish. Move it away from the light and change the angle, pink again, with some orange (I think this has something to do with the fact that I'd been staring at a bright LCD screen and my eyes were adjusting).

Anyway, it's part manufacturing, part context. But like everyone else I'd like to know if the actual variations are a design decision or just a quirk.

dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2003, 12:02 AM

Could somone post an image comparison of what the blue backlight looks next to a white backlight? Mine is white and agree it would probably look a little less appealing with the blue against the red buttons.

Steve

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by dvdnet:
Could somone post an image comparison of what the blue backlight looks next to a white backlight? Mine is white and agree it would probably look a little less appealing with the blue against the red buttons.

Steve
look at the link i posted 5 replies up...

Forum Links
Forum Rules