Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Recommendations for a custom install of Panther?

Recommendations for a custom install of Panther?
C-Bear
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2003, 07:21 PM

Soon I'll be upgrading from Jaguar to Panther (I've waited a little while to assess the bug issues, and may wait a little more), and I plan to custom install to minimize the amount of unnecessary files on my computer.

I'm looking for recommendations on what I should install, what I shouldn't, and anything in between. I know pretty much everyone zaps languages up front, I probably will too, but what about developer tools -- what's their story -- and others?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2003, 09:44 AM

no problems installing all packages on G5. Tibook? problems. disk1 was fine. disk2 kept telling me to try installing again. I then chose the customize option and deselected all extraneous printer drivers, font's, speech recognition, Explorer and even had to deselect iTunes to get disk2 to run to it's conclusion. Then update manually all other stuff you wanted. Otherwise, I'd do the upgrade install (until/unless you run into any trouble) or the archive and install.
ebuddy

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 09:55 AM

Things you can choose not to Install:

1. Additional Languages
2. iLife applications
3. Extra Printer Drivers (x2 - there are two sets of additional printer drivers)
4. X11
5. Developer tools (on their own separate disk anyway)

Basically, with the exception of 1. all the others are on disks 2 and 3 and the Developer tools disk. You get the option to custom install all these things during disk 1's installation process. What you choose to install or not install will depend on what you hope to do or what hardware you have.

HTH.

suthercd
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 10:02 AM

Search this forum. There is some very good advice here. Also, search the 10.3 forum at http://discussions.info.apple.com/.

Disconnect any peripherals external drives, turn off all login items, disable any PreferencePanes,APEs in both your root Library and Home Library. People who have had problems usually did an Update install with all kinds of third party extras installed. Make your System as close to the original config. as possible. Use your Jaguar Install CD 1 for boot and use the Disk Utility to Repair Disk and Permissions. The restart and Repair Permissions, double check that you have disabled all add-ons.

Let us know how it goes.

Craig

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 12:13 PM

Here's what I installed...

1. Essential System Software (mandatory)
2. BSD Subsystem
3. Additional Applications (not necessary, but saves me from downloading them later. didn't install Internet Exploder of course :-)
4. All printer drivers (I have an Epson printer that's included in the second pack of drivers. not to mention that I love being able hook up to any printer without installing additional drivers, and see my Windoze friends go green with envy :-)
5. Italian Language Files (only because I want to learn it)
6. X11 (might come in very handy)
7. Fonts
( Last edited by NeXTLoop; Nov 12, 2003 at 12:38 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules