Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ebay baitch slapped by EEC

ebay baitch slapped by EEC
Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2008, 08:04 AM

Ebay fined approx £32 million ($60 million) for allowing knock off Louis Vuitton items to be sold.

I guess LV aren't alone in having had this problem so I imagine ebay are in for a fair few additional hits. Could usher in a major change in how items are sold on the site.

jebjeb
Senior User
Jun 30, 2008, 08:19 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

My guess is that if they take it seriously and the appeal is dismissed, we will see a blanket ban on selling items with certain words in the listing or from particular brands. 

You're right about there being a whole bunch of other companies out there that will jump on to this as well.

I have never particularly encountered fakes on eBay but I don't look for that sort of stuff. A friend did get a fake CF card off eBay which just had a Sandisk sticker over some generic POS.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 08:52 AM

Wow, that's kinda crazy. Does eBay have to verify every single item being sold on ebay to determine that it's legit?

Shouldn't the merchant selling it be liable and not eBay? eBay is just a service, not the seller.

Are newspaper companies responsible for knock off Louis Vuitton items sold through its newspaper ads?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

-Q-
Jun 30, 2008, 04:44 PM

No link to read the full article, but how would this impact the selling of used items? Sounds like it's more the responsibility of the merchant than eBay...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 04:47 PM

As long as eBay isn't knowingly letting the sales occur, I don't see what the problem is. LV shouldn't expect eBay to hire tons of people just to police for their counterfeits. If they're that concerned, they can create a a department that polices eBay looking for knock-off and report them.

But somehow, I doubt they want to do that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2008, 05:41 PM

eBay is doomed.

It's been for a while though, and not only because of that.

-t

freudling
Banned
Jun 30, 2008, 06:14 PM

eBay is horrid. The only thing I like buying off of there is some computer stuff, where I know exactly what I want. Most of the stuff I buy is so non-mainstream that the probability of me getting a fake or something stupid like that is low.

As for eBay being a "service": I can't believe people and the courts have believed that. They are much more than a service. They are directly involved in the selling process in many respects. They investigate listings and have the power to remove them; they charge commission fees for listings; buyers and sellers must be members of eBay to sell and buy; they establish the selling and buying rules and policies; they control payment flow (i.e. PayPal); they offer buyer protection on purchases...

They are not simply a "service" or a portal for buyers and sellers to come together... they are much more than that. If it were simply a "service" to help buyers and sellers, then all the constraints would not exist. In the end, eBay is much more involved in the processes than perhaps they would like to be.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2008, 08:10 PM

Got my facts wrong - never mind.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Jun 30, 2008 at 08:26 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules