Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > bootcamp: XP does not boot if TV connected

bootcamp: XP does not boot if TV connected
bryanc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2009, 03:29 PM

Hi.

I have a Mini which is connected to my home theater. Most of the time, OSX does what I want to do, but for a few applications I'd like to boot into windows (ok I admit... it's a game).

I installed XP, SP2. It boots just fine if I have an LCD connected to it, but when I have it connected to the television, it boots showing the plain white screen as normal, then goes black, then nothing. I've waited quite a while to see if it would come up and I never hear the Windows startup sound (which I would if it were getting that far).

If I let windows boot fully with the LCD connected, then swap the cable to the television, it works just fine. Obviously I don't want to keep a spare LCD next to the entertainment center just to enable booting into Windows though.

I did search both these forums and the internet at large, but didn't find anyone referring to this problem (mostly stuff about windows not booting with external drives connected). EDIT: Found a thread elsewhere describing my exact problem, sadly no solution yet.

Any ideas? Maybe Vista would fare better? (I already owned XP -- I wouldn't mind upgrading but don't want to buy it if it's going to have the same issue).
( Last edited by bryanc; Feb 21, 2009 at 03:53 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 21, 2009, 07:45 PM

Windows is reacting to the fact that there is no monitor connected. XP doesn't like to run headless, and really NEEDS a monitor to be there. Using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to connect your TV does not provide XP with the information it needs to "see" the TV as a monitor, so it won't boot.

You could boot with your LCD attached, and then disconnect it and plug your TV in. Alternatively (and probably more effective) if your TV has a DVI or VGA input, you could connect to that and XP would probably boot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2009, 02:48 PM

XP boots fine without a monitor or connected to a TV via a DVI/HDMI adapter.

Sounds like a "Bootcamp is still half assed" issue.

mfjonker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2009, 11:04 AM

There are several threads that exactly describe the issue, but there doesn't seem to be a real (software) solution?? If anyone got the same issue with XP and solved it without changing the hardware, please let us know!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 18, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
XP boots fine without a monitor or connected to a TV via a DVI/HDMI adapter.

Sounds like a "Bootcamp is still half assed" issue.
The adapter is what allows XP to believe there's a monitor attached. It's not "Bootcamp is still half assed," but rather XP (and probably Vista) which is half assed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The adapter is what allows XP to believe there's a monitor attached. It's not "Bootcamp is still half assed," but rather XP (and probably Vista) which is half assed.
XP doesn't care if there's a monitor attached or what it may be; XP boots just fine all day long without any connected displays or with a TV connected.
AFAIK this issue is unique to Mac hardware using BootCamp drivers.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 19, 2009, 09:00 PM

Interesting. I had been told that Windows 98 and XP (and presumably all previous versions) REQUIRED a monitor to be connected before it'd boot. That may have been due to a BIOS limitation, but it was a pretty universal limitation since I had a number of homebrews that would simply not do anything unless a monitor was connected.

dvdnet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2009, 12:21 AM

YAY. Finally found a thread related directly to the problem I am having.

BOOOO!!!! That there is no current solution.

Surely if it is driver related that this issue would be addressed by Apple sometime?

Forum Links
Forum Rules