Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Powermac G3, OSX boot issues - HELP PLEASE!

Powermac G3, OSX boot issues - HELP PLEASE!
SLiMeX
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 03:01 AM

I aquired a B&W Powermac G3 450mHz. Installed was OS 9.2. I threw in some old PC100 and now I'm sporting 512Mb of RAM.
I want to install OSX onto it, and it meets all of the required specifications. I thought it would be a fun little machine to toy around with...

I have a genuine OSX disc, so since this machine does not have a DVD-ROM, I upload the files/disc image to my external hard drive to see if it will boot off of that. Via FireWire, I attempt to do so, and nothing happens. It goes straight to the happy mac icon screen.
I reset the PRAM and VRAM.
Checked to see if I have all the latest firmware, and I do.
Try the boot again, from OS9 desktop, and I get the infamous error: "Startup Disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2)"

I have installed OSX successfully by booting it off of an external FireWire drive before, why is this so much different? If anyone has ANY suggestions, please post them here, I have to say I am a bit baffled by this...
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 07:57 AM

I don't think B&W G3s support firewire booting. There is no os selector if you hold alt or TDM if you hold T. I couldn't get it to boot off my iBook when I had it in TDM a couple of days ago hooked up to my G3.

Do you have a DVD-ROM in any other desktop computers? It's pretty easy to swap out and it'll make like a lot easier.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 10:27 AM

seanc is correct -- B&W machines do not support FW booting. If you can pull the drive & put it in a machine wih a DVD drive, run the install & then put it back, that should work. It only takes a few minutes to pull & replace a drive.
( Last edited by chris v; Dec 11, 2006 at 11:44 AM. )

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 12:28 PM

It's easy to do that? I will definately try that now. I have too much time on my hands.

But, do I have to put the original drive back?

EDIT: I put in a DVD-ROM, the PowerMac registers it, and I can restart the computer using the Mac OSX install DVD, but when it restarts, it gives me the question mark/finder folder... any idea on the problem there?
( Last edited by SLiMeX; Dec 11, 2006 at 01:37 PM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2006, 05:38 PM

Is the dvd drive set up as Master?

SLiMeX  (op)
Senior User
Dec 11, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Is the dvd drive set up as Master?
It is, yes.