Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > NVIDIA forums hack compromises 390,000 accounts

NVIDIA forums hack compromises 390,000 accounts
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 13, 2012, 01:53 PM

Users of NVIDIA's official forums received an explanation for service interruptions that occurred last week. The company reportedly discovered suspicious activity, quickly launching an investigation that determined sensitive information, including user e-mail addresses and passwords, had been taken by hackers. NVIDIA claims that the passwords were hashed with a random salt value and were not stored in clear text, making them fairly unusable.

Other information that was taken during the hacking raid included usernames and public-facing "About Me" profile information, which could be gained through normal viewing of the forums. Around 390,000 accounts were registered on the forums, including 100,000 in the NVIDIA Developers Zone, although it was not disclosed how many accounts were compromised. The announcement page taking the place of the forums states that the investigation will continue, and when the forums are reintroduced, all passwords will be reset. Users will receive a temporary password via e-mail, though the company cautions that affected users should change their passwords elsewhere if they are identical to those taken. Yesterday, over 400,000 passwords and e-mail combinations from a Yahoo Voices server were posted online, leading critics to blast Yahoo for having lax security. LinkedIn last month suffered a similar fate, having encrypted passwords posted onto Russian hacker sites for its 6.5 million accounts. These, along with other events, certainly emphasize the need for strong user passwords.[via The Verge]

Ham Sandwich
Jul 14, 2012, 06:33 PM

Greetings. I am unable to delete my posts, and apparently you moderators are on some kind of a strike.

Therefore, I have removed the content of the original post by hand.

I am asking for this post to be deleted, since I don't seem to have the option to do that myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules