Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problem with playing OpenGL games in OS 9

Problem with playing OpenGL games in OS 9
strepidus
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 1999, 11:49 PM

I have a beige G3 with an ATI Rage Orion graphics card, and I just upgraded to Mac OS 9.0. The new version of the OS installed new ATI drivers and Open GL 1.1.1.

However, whenever I tried to play a 3D game, like Quake 2, Bugdom, or Q3test, the game would tell me that I need more than 4MB VRAM to run it properly, when my card has 16MB.

So I decided to revert to the ATI drivers from the ATI Universal Installer 4.0.1, and the RAVE games would run properly, but the Open GL games would all crash.

Any ideas?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 1999, 11:55 PM

will OpenGL 1.0 (or other versions if any) work on OS 9?

the perils of upgrading to a new OS before the Apple bugfixes and third-party driver updates are numerous... perhaps you should downgrade completely to 8.6 and wait a few weeks for fixes before using OS 9 again.

I know this is NOT what you want to hear, but it is the only cautious thing to do.

I do not plan on installing OS 9 until maybe the first week of December, we'll see.

NOW, if you are using a recent beta of OS 9, OF COURSE, it should go without saying that you should wait for the GM release to see what results you will have then... BUT I guarantee that MacOS 9 will be quite problematic for the first several weeks for MOST folks UNTIL the Apple bugfixes and third-party drivers 'catch up' with MacOS 9 (this has been the case for the past several MacOS releases, even so, I am very much looking forward to MacOS 9!!)

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-11-1999).]

strepidus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 1999, 11:57 PM

Good idea. Actually, I have two startup disks, with OS 9 on one and OS 8.6 on the other, so if I need to play Quake I could just switch startup disks and restart. The experience (other than the bad video drivers) has been positive for the most part.

scott
Oct 11, 1999, 03:15 AM

The other option is to wait until the OS is actually officially released.

- Scott

hayesk
Oct 11, 1999, 01:32 PM

It has been released. The data was supposedly Oct. 23 - but some customers have received theirs already.

moonraker
Oct 11, 1999, 03:09 PM

make sure you have reinstalled Mesa3dfxEngine.

Thats your problem

Rergards

Moonraker

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 1999, 03:09 PM

others are having probs:

ATI Nexus 128 conflict? A reader found that "the new OpenGL extensions conflict with the drivers to the ATI Nexus 128 card in my beige 266 G3. I cannot run any game such as Quake 2 or 3. Also, the Finder crashes every time after booting the computer. The problem was solved by replacing the newer OpenGL extensions with version 1.0.
(from MacFixit)

strepidus  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 1999, 05:12 PM

I've found a solution! The problem was that MacOS 9's not installing the ATI Rage 128 3D Accelerator extension. I had to open up the Installation Tome with Tomeviewer and extract that file. Afterwards, everything worked fine. Maybe the person with Nexus 128 problems can do the same thing...

Forum Links
Forum Rules