Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PGP Disk

PGP Disk
Rapsodan
Oct 3, 1999, 03:45 PM

If you own PGP Disk 1.x, some time ago, be aware that you'll not be able to open any images disk that you have create in the past. MacOS 9.0 simply refuse to open PGP Disk, and suggesting to find updates. Since I beleive this product is discontinued, you'll be in trouble!

plisken451
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 1999, 01:00 PM

Or, somebody smarter than me could get the source code from pgpi.org, and fix the problem with this wonderful tool. From what I understand, it's a problem with Apple changing the FCB struct under OS9.
http://macweek.zdnet.com/1999/10/03/developers.html

Mario Alessi
Oct 6, 1999, 10:25 AM

The site
http://keyserver.ad.or.at/pgp/products/nai/pgpdisk/

says

PGPdisk is a program that lets you create encrypted disk partitions. Earlier, PGPdisk was a stand-alone program, but it is now integrated with PGP. PGPdisk is included with PGPfreeware 6.0.2i, which you can download here:

Download PGP 6.02i for MacOS @

Download PGP 6.02i for Windows 95/98/NT @

As of version 6.5.1, PGPdisk is not longer included with the freeware versions. If you want PGPdisk 6.5.1 or later, you can buy one of the commercial versions, or you can download the evaluation version [Windows|Mac]. It is also possible to compile PGPdisk yourself from the source code (when available).

------------------
Mario Alessi

plisken451
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 1999, 03:02 PM

Um...I've got the source code to PGPDisk. It _is_ available. Go to pgpi.org, and DL the source to pgp6.0.2i. Therein the source to PGPDisk is found. I however, don't know the first thing about Mac-specific programming. From what I've heard, PGPDisk gives the same error (119) that Stuffit Expander 5.1 gives. It may very well be a simple fix. I dunno.

Cyphers
Oct 6, 1999, 10:24 PM

PGPdisk 6.5.1 or above is required for MacOS 9 compatibility. It is available for online purchase at www.mcafee.com. Remember, it isn't in the freeware version, you need to buy it.

strobe
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 1999, 01:50 PM

The 119 error is due to an application accessing the FCB table (file control block). Apple has for a long time said this will not be supported in the future, but even developers like Adobe (with ATM) don't change until the new OS release.
On disk encryption we should advocate software using CDSA, which apple now supports http://www.opengroup.org/security/cdsa

Forum Links
Forum Rules