Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > widescreen ibook?

widescreen ibook?
iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2005, 06:51 AM

looks like we may see a 14" and 15.4" widescreen ibook in the near future.

linkhttp://www.laptoplogic.com/news/04/08/2005/175/0/

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 06:53 AM

14.1 vs 14 isn't a big jump.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 8, 2005, 08:53 AM

Original Digitimes article is here.

Unfortunately, Digitimes has a very poor track record when it comes to Apple info, so take it with a big helping of salt.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2005, 12:05 PM

14.1 vs 14 isn't a big jump.
But if the native resolution of the 14.1" screen was increased, this would indeed be a very nice improvement!

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Dave N:
But if the native resolution of the 14.1" screen was increased, this would indeed be a very nice improvement!
That would defeat the point of the larger iBook, which seems to be to make the text larger.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 01:00 PM

I could see Apple doing a 14" widescreen iBook, but it would run at 1280x768 at most.

Also, I don't think Apple necessarily wants to market the 14" iBook as the near-sighted user's laptop of choice. It's always been a neglected model in the lineup - how many 14" iBooks have you seen in use versus 12" models? Odds are that the answer is "very few!" Right now, the only reasons to buy one (aside from eyesight problems) are that comes with more hard drive space out of the box, and that it has the Superdrive option.

The 14" iBook would probably have a lot more sales if it were to go widescreen with a higher resolution. Want a bit more room for iLife apps or 720p HD video? You wouldn't have to spend $1999 for the privilege anymore; $1299 would be enough.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
I could see Apple doing a 14" widescreen iBook, but it would run at 1280x768 at most.

Also, I don't think Apple necessarily wants to market the 14" iBook as the near-sighted user's laptop of choice. It's always been a neglected model in the lineup - how many 14" iBooks have you seen in use versus 12" models? Odds are that the answer is "very few!" Right now, the only reasons to buy one (aside from eyesight problems) are that comes with more hard drive space out of the box, and that it has the Superdrive option.

The 14" iBook would probably have a lot more sales if it were to go widescreen with a higher resolution. Want a bit more room for iLife apps or 720p HD video? You wouldn't have to spend $1999 for the privilege anymore; $1299 would be enough.
Remember that Apple didn't want the 14" iBook at all. It's the near-sighted user's laptop of choice because Apple released it in response to them.

Apple's solution for the high resolution and widescreen is the upsell to the 15" PowerBook.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2005, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Remember that Apple didn't want the 14" iBook at all. It's the near-sighted user's laptop of choice because Apple released it in response to them.

Apple's solution for the high resolution and widescreen is the upsell to the 15" PowerBook.
That's the problem. The first Mac laptop with a resolution above 1024x768 costs $1999. That's a hard gap to justify.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2005, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Commodus:
That's the problem. The first Mac laptop with a resolution above 1024x768 costs $1999. That's a hard gap to justify.
My desired 4.9 lb 13" 1152x768 widescreen PowerBook G5 would solve that problem.

StonedRose
Apr 8, 2005, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
My desired 4.9 lb 13" 1152x768 widescreen PowerBook G5 would solve that problem.
That would be the perfect portable. 128MB of Video Ram of course.
Aloha

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2005, 06:38 PM

"My desired 4.9 lb 13" 1152x768 widescreen PowerBook G5"

Sounds like a wet dream although i would be pretty happy with these screen specs in a G4 iBook too!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules