Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How and with what can I make a bootable or installable disk image of my system?

How and with what can I make a bootable or installable disk image of my system?
haygun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2008, 12:06 AM

I am just curious to know if there is a way to make a full, installable disk image of my current system. I recently did a full system wipe/reformat, and have installed all of the programs that I use. In the future, when doing these system cleans, I would like to simply pop a disk into my iMac and have it install OSX, along with all of the other programs that I have installed. I know there is a way to build disk images that will do this; can someone point me in the right direction? I have been using SuperDuper to do a system backup; however, I don't want to have all of my documents, movies, pictures etc included in my "master install disk". I would be willing to have two disks, my original leopard install disk, and another disk that contains all of the programs that I run. I simply want to avoid having to download and install every program that I use individually. Any help would be great. Thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 12:22 AM

I think Carbon Copy Cloner could do that, but I'm not sure.
You'd probably have to create the disk image with Disk Utility first, then clone your disk to it with CCC, and then write that Disk Image to a DVD.

Did you google it ?

-t

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 02:10 AM

You can do this from Disk Utility. Simply select the disk you want to image, and click "New Image." It will even make a copy of the current boot disk, but you may want to boot from a different disk.

If you ever want to restore from this image, you can do this in Disk Utility as well; (of course, you must be booted from another disk, i.e. your install CD/DVD) select the "Restore" tab; then select the restore source (your backup image) and the restore destination. Click the "Restore" button, and you're good to go.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2008, 07:53 AM

This is best addressed in Applications. Moving...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
You can do this from Disk Utility. Simply select the disk you want to image, and click "New Image." It will even make a copy of the current boot disk, but you may want to boot from a different disk.

If you ever want to restore from this image, you can do this in Disk Utility as well; (of course, you must be booted from another disk, i.e. your install CD/DVD) select the "Restore" tab; then select the restore source (your backup image) and the restore destination. Click the "Restore" button, and you're good to go.
But you can not exclude your User directories, can you ?

-t

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:01 AM

Time Machine.

No, you can not exclude the user directories, but you would want to have a backup of those too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Time Machine.

No, you can not exclude the user directories, but you would want to have a backup of those too.
No, the OP doesn't. He wants to create a system restore disk w/u the user directories. He has those backed up with TM.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules