Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Should I Get Iphone Now?

Should I Get Iphone Now? (Page 2)
mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2010, 05:35 PM

What kind of resale value should I expect for an iphone4 32 gb when iphone5 is released?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2010, 05:40 PM

That would depend on how innovative and feature-laden the iPhone 5 will be.

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2010, 06:11 PM

I don't know what kind of resale value you can expect, but I would REALLY advise waiting until the next iteration of the iPhone comes out before taking the plunge.

If you're eligible for an upgrade with AT&T and upgrade now, you won't be eligible for another upgrade until a year and a half (eighteen months) into your new two-year contract.

I've interacted with enough iPhone 4s since their launch that I will tell you straight up, the proximity sensor issues and the antenna issues are not user error and are not in people's heads - I've experienced both myself, with multiple handsets. These two engineering issues are enough of a hindrance to everyday phone use that I would highly recommend waiting to get a new iPhone.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2010, 06:17 PM

I bet you will be saying that when iphone6 comes out: just wait another year, it will be SO much better.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2011, 01:08 PM

^ She’s not saying to wait a year, she’s saying to wait ~6–7 months, since the next major iteration of the iPhone will almost certainly be out by late June or early July.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 03:35 PM

The iPhone 4 is twice as fast as the 3GS. Could anybody on this earth repeat this feat in just 12 months? Moore's law says no.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
I bet you will be saying that when iphone6 comes out: just wait another year, it will be SO much better.
You missed my point entirely.

The iPhone 4 has engineering defects that render it effectively useless for what it's made to do - you know...function as a phone.

The next iteration will very likely, like every other first-generation Apple product, work out those issues to make for a much better product. It might not have a ton of great new features, but it'll be more usable, which is probably a good thing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 07:35 PM

Actually, it's a combination of the iPhone's design and a defective GSM network that's causing problems.

Antennagate simply does not appear to be an issue at all in Europe.

Everybody here is anxious about the issue, but I've only ever met two people where the phenomenon actually resulted in a problem - both in areas where their previous iPhone simply had no coverage at all. Did the iPhone 4 worsen or improve their situation?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
The iPhone 4 has engineering defects that render it effectively useless for what it's made to do - you know...function as a phone.
Pure FUD.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Pure FUD.
Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I've interacted with enough iPhone 4s since their launch that I will tell you straight up, the proximity sensor issues and the antenna issues are not user error and are not in people's heads - I've experienced both myself, with multiple handsets. These two engineering issues are enough of a hindrance to everyday phone use that I would highly recommend waiting to get a new iPhone.
I troubleshot iPhones daily after the the launch of the iPhone 4 as part of my job.

It is not FUD. I saw more proximity sensor and antenna issues with the iPhone 4 than all the issues of the 3G and 3GS combined.

There is absolutely an engineering defect in those phones. Is it limited to a subset of the phones due to a certain batch of parts or a certain factory? Maybe. But it's not user error, and it's not a load of crap.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 10:46 PM

I haven't seen many people with antenna issues, but every single person I know with an iPhone 4 has proximity sensor issues.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 1, 2011, 10:55 PM

Two questions: Why have the iPhone 4 antenna issues apparently evaporated since about August-September? What kind of proximity sensor issues are people having? My piggy bank is getting prepped to pay for an upgrade from the 3Gs to the 4 in late February, so I really want to have a clue about what's going on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Two questions: Why have the iPhone 4 antenna issues apparently evaporated since about August-September? What kind of proximity sensor issues are people having? My piggy bank is getting prepped to pay for an upgrade from the 3Gs to the 4 in late February, so I really want to have a clue about what's going on.
1) Because I think people have realised that it's a combination of both hardware and network issues.
2) The proximity sensor simply isn't working for many people, so the screen isn't turning off and you're ending calls or hitting buttons with your face.

Why would you upgrade in late February? Historically a new iPhone ships in late June or July. Just wait for that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 1, 2011, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
2) The proximity sensor simply isn't working for many people, so the screen isn't turning off and you're ending calls or hitting buttons with your face.
I have not noticed that behavior on my iPhone 4.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2011, 01:28 AM

Two questions: Why have the iPhone 4 antenna issues apparently evaporated since about August-September?
The rumors I've heard were that Apple fixed the issue on the sly, so as not to admit a fault.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I haven't seen many people with antenna issues, but every single person I know with an iPhone 4 has proximity sensor issues.
I have the opposite.

No problems with a bumper though. No problems without either, but I can make the bars drop.

I've put in more time with bumper than without though.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2011, 05:34 AM

That's the thing: it's obviously reproducible, as a phenomenon. Not necessarily as a "problem", though.

I can, at present (bad coverage area), *easily* cause my 3GS to completely lose signal, too.

The commotion has died down because people realized it really isn't any different than it's always been, and because Gawker shut the **** up, and because every other major manufacturer (including all those shouting about Apple's singling them out back at the press conference) has since put out phones showing identical symptoms.

The proximity sensor problems were fixed for almost everybody in iOS 4.1, IIRC.

I still see it now and then, so there's a couple phones out there with defective hardware, too. Not many, though.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2011, 05:48 AM

If you already have a smartphone, there's no need to upgrade right now.

However, if you're in a situation like mine, where you have a standard fliphone, then an iphone upgrade is huge. I also have a 30 day period where I could return the phone, in the unlikely event I decide it's not for me.

A standard flipphone just leaves me frustrated many times. Typing text messages is a time consuming chore. No internet access. Typing notes is tedious. The camera is a joke.

It's almost like sticking with a corded phone while everyone else has already transitioned to cordless. It's a major improvement. What troubles me to a certain extent is the rapidity of more or less mandatory upgrades, coming approximately every 9 months now.

But the feature set of an iphone4 is seriously frightening. At 200-300, it provides much more value than the selling price. A high quality camera, gps, hd video, phone, video games, mp3 player, internet device, stunning aesthetics, very small and lightweight, come on, it's impossible not to recognize the 4 is an unparalleled tech marvel.

Then again, I'm such a tightwad that arguments to hold off until june are not going to go completely ignored. But the practical value of getting a smartphone now likely outweights any such reticence.

If I could ever come to deal with the selling/unloading tech every 6-12 months on ebay, I'd be even better off.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I have not noticed that behavior on my iPhone 4.

-t
The iPhone 4 screen will sometimes go dark when I'm in the process of making a call, making it very difficult for me to activate the speaker. I'm pretty sure this is some kind of hardware defect but it's not enough to make me do anything about it.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2011, 01:38 PM

When I take it away from my face, my iPhone 4 seems slower than my 3GS to turn the screen back on, to the point of me having to wait a second or two before I can hit on-screen buttons. No issues turning off at face/cheek proximity.

I like Spheric's description of a phenomenon instead of a problem.

@macandproud: you could always get a used 3GS for as cheap as possible without a contract, then get iPhone 5 in the summer for the 2-year contract price.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 2, 2011, 04:37 PM

1) Because the antenna issue never really existed in the first place.
2) The proximity sensor issue is real, and is a hardware issue. You'll know right away if your phone is affected and if it is; get it replaced.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
1) Because the antenna issue never really existed in the first place.
I have a friend with an early release iPhone4 that will loose connection in places with decent (not strong) signal just by touching it with one finger in that spot where the two antennas meet. Everyone else I know with iPhone4s were purchased after the free case promo ended and none suffer from the 1-finger signal loss.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2011, 07:43 PM

Interesting--would this entail buying a phone off of ebay?

nvm: the iphone 3gs on ebay is around $400.

at&t's offer is to waive activation fees for current customers, but I don't think they sell iphone4 refurbs, at least not yet.

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
@macandproud: you could always get a used 3GS for as cheap as possible without a contract, then get iPhone 5 in the summer for the 2-year contract price.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2011, 01:23 AM

I am in the market for a smartphone, but I'm in no hurry.

The iPhone is in pole position, as I like the seamless integration with iCal and Address book on my computer.

I will definitely wait until the iPhone 5 even if it's more a fixed iPhone 4 with some improvements than a big step.

I just hope it'll get an OLED display (just wonder why Apple hasn't put one in yet. Doesn't it work as well as a touch interface as an LCD screen? HCD can make it work, why not Apple? Or is it profit maximizing, as OLEDs are more expensive than LCDs?)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 10:43 AM

Pure FUD.
Antennagate simply does not appear to be an issue at all in Europe.
Because the antenna issue never really existed in the first place.

I bought the iPhone 4 when it was firstly available here in Spain. The phone did indeed lost connection whereas my 3GS white worked flawlessly. Got the free bumper from Apple and gave the iPhone 4 out to my brother, hoping for a white iPhone 4 release before Xmas.

Once the white iPhone 4 was… cancelled?, did order a second black iPhone 4, that was the 1st week of November. No signal issues at all, no need for the bumper. Still, didn't like it in black. Gave it out to my younger brother and kept the white 3GS for me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2011, 11:03 AM

^ interesting. That would indeed point to an issue that has since been fixed.

Hardware or software though?

Can you possibly do another direct comparison with both phones on the same iOS version?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 11:13 AM

Wow not a single mention of "verizon iphone" in this whole thread! Oops

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 01:25 PM

That's because AT&T made a deal to lock the iPhone to AT&T in exchange for a generous (and possibly negative profit) 3G plan for iPadders.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2011, 03:52 PM

I'm never getting another AT&T phone. I wish Apple would say one way or another that the viPhone either is or isn't coming. If they said it would be two years or more, I'd just go buy an android phone right now.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
I'm never getting another AT&T phone. I wish Apple would say one way or another that the viPhone either is or isn't coming. If they said it would be two years or more, I'd just go buy an android phone right now.
That's *exactly* why they won't say anything.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
That's because AT&T made a deal to lock the iPhone to AT&T in exchange for a generous (and possibly negative profit) 3G plan for iPadders.
I don't think the iPad plan is negative profit. In Canada we've got 3 carriers with iPad plans, all of which are in the same ball-park as the AT&T plan:
250mb for $15
500mb for $20
5gb for $30

None of them have an exclusivity agreement with Apple and the rates are based entirely on competition. The provider I'm currently with has a really nice plan which starts at 500mb for $20 and automatically kicks up $10 to the 5gb for $30 plan the moment I clear 500mb.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The iPhone 4 is twice as fast as the 3GS. Could anybody on this earth repeat this feat in just 12 months? Moore's law says no.
A dual core iPhone

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2011, 02:57 PM

Can you possibly do another direct comparison with both phones on the same iOS version?
Sorry for the late response. Did it before my younger brother left to work at crap*y SEAT (as Industrial Designer, so the kind of work he can actually do there is unbeknown to me LOL) and can confirm than the phones behavior ares, with all uprightness, still the same.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
^ interesting. That would indeed point to an issue that has since been fixed.

Hardware or software though?

Richard Lai of Engadget on O2 in the UK had a video where if he held the phone in his left hand as he normally does, he could end a call.

mackandproud  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2011, 03:22 AM

Hopefully, the verizon iphone means more competitive deals for at&t.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind holding out for the iphone5. I am actually enjoying the esthetics of my current fliphone: stylin and profilin' Woooo!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 11:06 AM

And it will be well timed if AT&T 3GS owners are ending their 2 year contracts around the time the VZ iPhone goes on sale, unless AT&T entices those owner into another 2 year contract with an early upgrade.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I don't think the iPad plan is negative profit. In Canada we've got 3 carriers with iPad plans, all of which are in the same ball-park as the AT&T plan:
250mb for $15
500mb for $20
5gb for $30

None of them have an exclusivity agreement with Apple and the rates are based entirely on competition. The provider I'm currently with has a really nice plan which starts at 500mb for $20 and automatically kicks up $10 to the 5gb for $30 plan the moment I clear 500mb.
In the US of A, rates are based entirely on collusion. The unlimited iPad plan sticks out like a sore thumb for its gooddealness.

Cold Warrior
Jan 8, 2011, 09:42 PM

Verizon will be able to gain customers just by matching att's pricing. I don't think there's any pressure for a price war right now. It'll take a year or two for them to see when the conversions saturate.

wfriction
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2011, 11:55 PM

IMO, might as well buy one now, because if you wait 6 months for the iPhone 5, then it will only be another year for the iPhone 6
The iPhone 4 is perfectly capable - and regarding size, I think 16GB should be enough

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2011, 10:24 PM

Well, as much as I have been lusting after the iPhone, waiting for Verizon, I think I will wait for the 5, it's only 5-6 months, and I'd be getting the newest tech. Hard to wait, but still I'd be unhappy down the road having an 'plder' model, no matter how great it is. But that's just me, and may not be right for others.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2011, 10:27 PM

Who wants to come with me and search out every "verizon iphone will never happen" post, and ridicule each poster?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2011, 11:38 PM

I don't think anybody said that a Verizon iPhone will never happen, most people (especially myself) felt that a CDMA iPhone would never happen, for which their are legitimate reasons to have believed.

karanmehta1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2011, 08:09 PM

Hey Guys,

Even I would like to wait for the iPhone 5, though the Verizon one is too tempting after seeing the rush for it..Apple and Verizon are already out of pre-order sales. Also, there was a video released on youtube receiving the Verizon iPhone. What a hype man!

Verizon guys are going crazy and there are a lot of news that many verizon customers would shift to the iPhone (i am sure they would).

I just love apple, they make amazing technology and world follows..............!
Karan Mehta

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 10:21 PM

I'm torn at the moment. I need (really do need) to upgrade my wife's and my son's phones from the LG contraptions they have-the LG Vu is fairly nice, but it's only "moderately bright" rather than smart, and they just don't have the robustness to really perform every day, all day.

So my geeky son wants an Android phone, and I am fine with that. My wife wants an iPhone 3Gs, which may just be my current phone as a hand-me-down. But I have this upgrade window that starts this weekend and the Android my son wants is on sale through this weekend...

If we just upgrade our son's phone, that leaves my wife with a phone neither of us trusts. If we move forward with upgrading her, we buy her a new 3Gs and my current 3Gs gets recycled later when I get a 4 or a 5. But I haven't heard of any groundbreaking, fantabulous, better-than-sliced-bread-and-sex new features or capabilities of the rumored iPhone 5 that would make me feel like waiting was really warranted.

ARE there any believable ideas about what the 5 should have that would be good reasons for me to wait several months and spend at least $100 more to get my wife a new 3Gs (she doesn't want a 4) while I wait?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2011, 10:30 PM

Why doesn't she want an iPhone 4? Considering you're paying the same every month, a 3GS seems like a waste of money to buy a two-year old phone. You don't have to use every line's upgrade at the same time. If you're good for one upgrade, just get your son the phone he likes, then get yourself and your wife a phone at your own pace.

As far as the iPhone 5 goes, there have been rumors that Apple will completely redesign the phone. I think this is likely, simply due to the fact that Apple has been completely mum about any new iPhone news. If it were an incremental update, I'm betting we'd have heard of it by now. Something that is also very possible is that Apple is planning on keeping the iPhone 4 around for two product cycles. I don't think that's the most likely, but it could happen.

BTW, up until last month I was using a resistive touch-screen LG, and I'm only right now using a Pre. You guys aren't the only ones with featurephones still

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2011, 10:31 PM

The iphone 5 should have the same cpu as the ipad 2, and even better battery life. Also, 16GB baseline should be no more. With the new GPU, hardware assisted facetime encoding would improve battery life too, not to mention youtube uploads and smile detecting cameras.

You and your family should stay strong and resist any fictitious "needs" until all of you can upgrade to iphone 5, and start saving up $200 per head.

Also, can you imagine if the iPhone 5 had USB 3.0 and took half the time to synchronize? Kicking yourself after a couple of months wont be enough.

Apple recently patented magsafe for idevices. You would probably missing out on snappity action, if you settle for iP4 now.

The antenna quality can't go anywhere but up.

And this would take the cake: given that the verizon iphone has a gsm+cdma baseband chip (but only a cdma antenna), it is entirely possible that Apple makes iP5 dual tech, and factory unlocked, ala Canadian iPhone. Apple has got the cellphone companies whipped, they would have to accept.

I could go on and on about the ways that Apple can stay afloat in this cut-throat market.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Feb 8, 2011 at 10:49 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:36 PM

ARE there any believable ideas about what the 5 should have that would be good reasons for me to wait several months and spend at least $100 more to get my wife a new 3Gs (she doesn't want a 4) while I wait?
I'm wondering this myself.

Except for NFC abilities, I can't think of anything. More RAM? Slight bump in megapixels?

Some form of pseudo-4G?

T-MoiPhone?

None of these grab me and shout "upgrade!"

Edit: better CPU, as mentioned above, might be worth it.

Edit2: if T-Mo offered a femtocell, not only would I ditch AT&T like a red-headed stepchild, I wouldn't mind paying early termination.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2011, 10:47 PM

NFC doesn't really light my fire. I don't even "wave" a credit card... I may just go ahead and jump at it this weekend. Now we just need to straighten out when exactly each line's upgrade date is. It looks like my son's and my wife's are on the 12th, but mine (the only iPhone in the group) is 2/20... I think it's because I pre-ordered my 3Gs, but I'll have to get the AT&T people to explain it to me. In person.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2011, 10:57 PM

NFC doesn't really light my fire. I don't even "wave" a credit card...
Ditto. I killed the RFID chip in my Amex card.

In Europe, new credit cards require the use of a PIN. No more signature. That's much safer anyways.

-t

karanmehta1980
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2011, 02:05 AM

I agree with you guys!!!

I suppose Apple led the Smartphone market very well to start with!!! But now they have to do some catching...If they really want to make another mark, they have to come up with something unique and that appeals to the masses...

I am not very impressed as of now!! Android might just KILL a few out there!! Lot of strategies needs to be changed...and with Steve jobs out on Medical leave, I am not sure where they are heading!!!
Karan Mehta

Forum Links
Forum Rules