Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help: My one month old MacBook has a wobbly outer lip on the left hand side?

Help: My one month old MacBook has a wobbly outer lip on the left hand side?
kenna
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 04:49 PM

I know that the MacBook is supposed to have a few problems with its outer lip but surely not after a month of use?!

I noticed when plugging in a memory stick the usb port, the side seemed to be soft and moved inwards...I pushed my finger against it slightly and there is complete movement there AND I can move it by pushing hand underneath and on top of wrist pad. This is seriously bad, I can't be doing with a laptop that is supposed to be robust going on me after a month!!! I haven't even started moving it around yet, i'm ordering a Booq bag for when I get to Uni then its seriously going to be attached to my hip...does this happen to every MacBook?

Is this the start of a crack? Should I take it to the apple store? Is the invoice my AppleCare proof?

Thanks to anyone who can help
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2008, 09:44 PM

Definitely take it to an Apple store. That's your best bet. They'll take care of it for you. Your MacBook is so new that you don't need proof of additional purchased Apple Care (it's still under regular warranty), but it can't hurt. They can also look up your coverage by your computer's serial number.

MacBooks do have problems from time to time, but overall they're fantastic computers. Get yours taken care of, and then you'll be able to enjoy it completely.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2008, 05:45 PM

As far as I'm concerned, it's fine. It's just the plastic flexing. My iBooks did it and so does this MacBook.

Unless you can see a visible crack, then there's nothing wrong with it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2008, 06:20 PM

Both BoingoBoingo and seanc are correct as far as I'm concerned. It's probably just a bit of the plastic flexing some, but if you take it to the Apple Store and the guy looks at it and says "that's normal", at least you have that incident on file in case something develops from the flexing. Win-win (is it really hard to go to the Apple Store? ) and you'll feel better.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kenna  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the posts, i've also posted on another board and had the same feedback.

Sorry for making the thread it seems my Mac is fine, its just a wierd design concept but i'm sure Apple now what they're doing!

Thanks for the feedback my mind is at rest!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.2 GHz quad-core, 2x4GB 1333MHz RAM, 750GB Hard Drive, Intel HD Graphics 3000,
AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5, Mid 2011

MacBook Air 13" 1.7 GHz dual-core Intel i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mid 2011
iPhone 4 32 GB, Mid 2010

Forum Links
Forum Rules