Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum
Avenir
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 09:58 PM

Macnn has been my guiding light for most things in life, but I'm thinking seriously about getting back into riding sport bikes again (haven't ridden in 6 years, and the northeast US is much different than my former home of Hawaii) and I think I need a more focused forum of sorts. Does anyone know of great biker forums? Think MacNN for sports riders... I'm more looking for general information and questions that I might have, although one more geared to sports bikes (as opposed to street, harleys, etc) would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance.
( Last edited by Avenir; Sep 6, 2005 at 10:20 PM. Reason: title changed to better reflect what I'm looking for)

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 6, 2005, 10:09 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat you are-it's been about 18 years for me, but that has a lot to do with things other than just not having a bike. I'd like to see what real people are riding today, and not just the "rocketest" crotch rocket around either.

But I have to say (having grown up in Michigan and referring to your profile) that Indiana is a long way from being "northeast." I call New England the Northeast, and Indiana "Midwest." About as "Midwest" as you can get, in fact. Of course the weather is completely different from the islands, and that's a BIG difference on two wheels.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Avenir  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2005, 10:16 PM

My apologies, I must change my profile. I'm based in Pittsburgh, but will be in New York and Boston a lot, especially if I manage to get a new bike. Does pittsburgh count as just plain "east" ? No doubt that South Bend is the midest of the midwest

I rode in high school, as I said, but here I live in a wonderful house, but have no garage, driveway, etc and wondered about storing my bike outside. Winter might be especially harsh with only a bike cover. I also wondered about snow riding, having heard of the wonders of heated helmet visors, semi-studded tires and riding jackets to rival heavy winter gear.

Of course, I take the bus to work here, it's far too convenient, so my CBR 600 F4i (or maybe the 600RR) would be purely for entertainment, if I ever get to pick it up. I think I'll wait until the spring, then learn to ride all over again. Fortunately I have continually renewed my motorcycle certification on my license, so that large hurdle is over. I'm hoping that it'll be, no pun intended, "just like riding a bike" and I won't have forgotten anything.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

MM-o4
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 01:09 AM

yep I'mma new motorcycle rider. Just got my bike about 6months ago. A ZZR250 good for a learner but can't wait to get something a bit bigger. I had a mini cooper s waste me hard at the lights. But I got about 6 months to go before I can get a bigger bike legally.

werrd

MM

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 01:24 AM

Sort of a odd, but the biker forum at VWVortex (a Volkswagen enthusiast site, and some of the largest forums on the internet) http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=105 is pretty decent. Just one forum, but really helpful, friendly people.
( Last edited by GSixZero; Sep 7, 2005 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Verb agreement is important.)

ImpulseResponse

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 01:44 AM

I was lucky and found a forum for my specific bike, My bike was only made for 3 years in the U.S. so it's rare to begin with, and it's a 250... so not many people want anything to do with such a little bike, but it sure is a blast to ride!

look for a forum for YOUR bike, the specific info will be really helpful...

BTW I have a Honda VTR250

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules