Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Server 10.3 mail setup

OS X Server 10.3 mail setup
Ormnik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2006, 08:45 PM

I have been using OS 9 with WebSTAR and Vicomsoft Internet Gateway for many years to host multiple domains for both my work and for personal use. The problem is that WebSTAR crashes a lot and I have never been able to resolve the problem. I just setup OS X 10.3 Server on this machine and setup my domains in the following way. My main account mainaccount.com has an IP address assigned to it. The other domains otherdomain.com and thatdomain.com are using forwarding from godaddy.com to point each one to. (real domain names have been changed to protect the innocent )

mainaccount.com (First site)
mainaccount.com/otherdomain (Second site)
mainaccount.com/thatdomain (Third Site)

I have got the domains all working and I can view them all fine on the web but what I can't get working is the mail accounts for the second and third domains. I read the book Mac OS X Server Panther 10.3 from Peachpit Press and it states that I should be able to setup local host aliases, also known as virtual domains allowing the server to accept mail from more that one domain name. I don't know what I need to do to set this up. I am not a server type guy and we even hired a person to come and set this up but he didn't know who to have more than one domain on the computer at a time. (I don't think he really knew what he was doing).

So what I am trying to ask is are there any users out there that have done anything similar to this that know what I need to do to get mail for all three domains working on the same computer. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank You
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2006, 09:15 PM

To get multiple domains working on 10.3 server, you need to spend some time muckity-mucking with the config files (i.e. via vi). Fun fun fun!

10.4 Server gives you the ability to set it up via Server Admin.

You may want to go to afp548.com and search and see if they have an article on this. They're a very good resource for this sort of thing.

Ormnik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the reply CatOne. I actually figured it out. I now have five domains working on one server with email without having to use command line inputs. I do however have one problem left. When I send email to people it shows my email like this:

[email protected]

It should read:

[email protected]

Anyone know why it is including www in my email address? Again, all suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You.
Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / Elgato USB EyeTV
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz / 2Gb / 80 Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / 64Mb Video / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / Harmon Kardon Soundsticks / 60Gb 5G video iPod / 8Gb 2G Nano --
1.83GHz Core Duo Mac Mini / 512Mb / 80Gb / Superdrive / Mac OS 10.4.7 / Wireless Keyboard & Mouse / 800W Pioneer 5.1 Sound System / InFocus IN72 DLP Projector / 500Gb External Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules