Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Mac OS 9.2.1 on Old World Systems

Mac OS 9.2.1 on Old World Systems
Gestalt 0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2001, 09:56 AM

Hi. I have a Power Mac 8600/300 with Mac OS 9.1 and 64 MB RAM.

I was interested in installing 9.2.1 on it, but obviously the installer denied me.

I grabbed TomeViewer and extracted the Mac OS 9.2.1 files from their Tome, and made a copy of my 9.1 System Folder. I then dropped the 9.2.1 Finder and System Resources in.

SUrprisingly, or not, Finder 9.2 ran on 9.1's System file just fine. However, it seems that Mac OS moved 9.2.1's System Resources to the Trash and recreated(?) the old version. (I was tired when I did this, this last bit may have been a fudge-up by moi.)

To take full advantage of 9.2.1, I suppose one would have to include the resources contained in Big System Morsels in the System file, something handled by the Installer.

I haven't tried changing my Gestalt ID on my 8600 to that of a New WOrld system in order to fool the installer. I may to see if it works, though even if it does install it may not result in a happy Mac.

ANyway, I'd like to see other's attempts at installing 9.2.1 or its components on Old World systems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules