Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Calling wireless experts.

Calling wireless experts.
Zitax
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 05:21 AM

I want to set up a wireless thing for my self.
I already ordered an airport extrmeme base station and my TiBook has the card already.
But the thing is that I want like 3 miles covered, how is the most efective way also cheap to do it ?
If 3 miles is much, how much can I extend it ?
I will apreciate if you tell me like exact links and stuff as I'm not from the US I kind of need the exact points to get the stuff and send it here.
I have a building in fron of my window, maybe that help for an antena or is a bad thing.
The idea is to get range in the other side of the building that its infront my window.
I hope I explained well, if not please feel free to ask.

Thx in advice.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 09:21 AM

Hmm... 3 MILES? That's an awfully large area to cover with 802.11b, especially when the range is only about 200 feet. I don't understand whether you need to get internet 3 miles away from the hook-up, or you need to saturate all three miles in between. Either way, you're looking at a LOT of money!!

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 14, 2003, 01:43 PM

Whether this can be done depends on where you need the access. If I understand you correctly you want to access the internet from a specific location that is 3 miles away. You're not really looking for a solution that would give you access anywhere within a 3 mile radius of your base station. If this is the case there are solutions out there that involve directional antennas. These can be rather expensive for commercial antennas, but you can also make your own out of just a Pringles can and some wires. See here and here for some information and instructions. Also, if you search Google.com for "pringles wi-fi" you'll find a lot more information. I hope this is what you were looking for.

If you were hoping to be able to access the internet from anywhere within 3 miles of your base station, that's going to be much more difficult and probably not worth the money and effort.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 14, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by parsec_kadets:
[stuff deleted]

See here and here for some information and instructions. Also, if you search Google.com for "pringles wi-fi" you'll find a lot more information. I hope this is what you were looking for.

If you were hoping to be able to access the internet from anywhere within 3 miles of your base station, that's going to be much more difficult and probably not worth the money and effort.
How about an intermediate problem: I live on the seventh floor of an apartment building in Manhattan, and would like to take out my 17-inch PowerBook to the local Starbucks coffee shop about two blocks away and connect wirelessly from there using my AirPort Extreme Base Station in my apartment.

FYI, I use Verizon Online DSL, and there are some local Verizon phone booths on the street near that coffee shop that function as wireless access points.

Is there any way to extend the range sufficiently?

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by DekuDekuplex:
How about an intermediate problem: I live on the seventh floor of an apartment building in Manhattan, and would like to take out my 17-inch PowerBook to the local Starbucks coffee shop about two blocks away and connect wirelessly from there using my AirPort Extreme Base Station in my apartment.

FYI, I use Verizon Online DSL, and there are some local Verizon phone booths on the street near that coffee shop that function as wireless access points.

Is there any way to extend the range sufficiently?

DekuDekuplex
yes you can... build one of the pringles antennas and point it at the starbucks... you should be good... it also helps if get a external wireless card

zitax... i posted in the powerbook forum about this... so you can read that there

Forum Links
Forum Rules