Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Crazy screen dieing ?

Crazy screen dieing ?
Zitax
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 06:45 PM

Hi.
My TiBook screen is doing something really scary.
HERE U CAN SEE IT.
It start doing it as it pleases, a restart fixes it, but then happensa again 3 hours later, or a day later, it has no sequence.
What do you think its causing it ?

Thx.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 06:50 PM

I've never seen this kind of problem. Is the monitor close to a weak magnet of some sort?
iamwhor3hay

moep
Senior User
Aug 13, 2004, 07:15 PM

Weird. I'm pretty sure it isn't the screen though, that looks like your VRAM is bad (no idea how this could happen though?)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
I've never seen this kind of problem. Is the monitor close to a weak magnet of some sort?
No is not, what I saw is that it starts after I see a video or I open and see photos, for now it hasnt happend again, I tape it just in case it died.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by moep:
Weird. I'm pretty sure it isn't the screen though, that looks like your VRAM is bad (no idea how this could happen though?)
Anything to fix it ?

arekkusu
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2004, 08:45 PM

Looks like your VRAM is cooked. Time for AppleCare.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2004, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
I agree. I had a very similar problem w/ my TiBook last fall. Under warranty and Apple replaced the logic board. But in the process broke the Airport connection harness. Back to Apple. Just be sure to check everything when you get it back. And BACKUP your data.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by arekkusu:
What is and where is the VRAM exactly located ?
Any ideas why it makes it just sometimes ?

Thanks.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2004, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
I agree. I had a very similar problem w/ my TiBook last fall. Under warranty and Apple replaced the logic board. But in the process broke the Airport connection harness. Back to Apple. Just be sure to check everything when you get it back. And BACKUP your data.
Am I in risk of loosing data right now ?

Thx.

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2004, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Zitax:
Am I in risk of loosing data right now ?

Thx.
You are always at risk!!

Not data per se, but if your screen does go black, it'll be difficult to see your data! Unless you have an external monitor of course.

I was just saying backup before you send it to Apple. If you take it to a service center, they make you read and sign a contract making them not liable for data lost. Short story is that you never know what they'll replace, what may get broken etc etc.

VRAM is hardwired to the logic board. I'm not certain which chunk of silicon it is, but it's not user replaceable.

moep
Senior User
Aug 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

Yeah, you should certainly do a backup - put a copy of your most important stuff onto a cd, memory-stick, server or whatever.

as buddhabelly said, your data isn't in danger but it'll be hard to view it when the VRAM is toast. Actually, not even an external monitor would help... you'd have to tear into your TiBook and get the HD out.

// ah, no, that's wrong... you could still put it into firewire target-disk mode and fetch the data via firewire.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by buddhabelly:
You are always at risk!!

Not data per se, but if your screen does go black, it'll be difficult to see your data! Unless you have an external monitor of course.

I was just saying backup before you send it to Apple. If you take it to a service center, they make you read and sign a contract making them not liable for data lost. Short story is that you never know what they'll replace, what may get broken etc etc.

VRAM is hardwired to the logic board. I'm not certain which chunk of silicon it is, but it's not user replaceable.
Yeah I will back up all.

So, for sure it is the VRAM ?
What are the causes for it to get damaged ?

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2004, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by moep:
Yeah, you should certainly do a backup - put a copy of your most important stuff onto a cd, memory-stick, server or whatever.

as buddhabelly said, your data isn't in danger but it'll be hard to view it when the VRAM is toast. Actually, not even an external monitor would help... you'd have to tear into your TiBook and get the HD out.

// ah, no, that's wrong... you could still put it into firewire target-disk mode and fetch the data via firewire.

Yup, target mode is always an option.
thanks.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2004, 09:10 PM

I also had a screen problem that came and went. I suppose when Apple received it the 3rd time the problem disappeared temporarily while under repair and they thought they fixed it. Fortunately for me it was their third repair attempt. So I ended up getting a 1.5 Ghz 17 upgrade from my year old 1 Ghz 17". This thing is flawless and brand new. So if you have Apple care you may find yourself with a brand new laptop just like me after 3 attempts at repair, seeing your problem comes and goes. Take my advise and DON'T use phone support. By taking it to an Apple Store you can have them make a record of exterior condition of your laptop before sending it in for repair. They get they machine back for inspection; not you. So whether it comes back damaged by mail or whatever they have to deal with it before it comes back to you. i never use phone support, in fact in your case it may well cost about $50 for phone support. Apple geniuses look at it for free. Good luck!.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2004, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
I also had a screen problem that came and went. I suppose when Apple received it the 3rd time the problem disappeared temporarily while under repair and they thought they fixed it. Fortunately for me it was their third repair attempt. So I ended up getting a 1.5 Ghz 17 upgrade from my year old 1 Ghz 17". This thing is flawless and brand new. So if you have Apple care you may find yourself with a brand new laptop just like me after 3 attempts at repair, seeing your problem comes and goes. Take my advise and DON'T use phone support. By taking it to an Apple Store you can have them make a record of exterior condition of your laptop before sending it in for repair. They get they machine back for inspection; not you. So whether it comes back damaged by mail or whatever they have to deal with it before it comes back to you. i never use phone support, in fact in your case it may well cost about $50 for phone support. Apple geniuses look at it for free. Good luck!.
Thanks for the comments.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 09:47 AM

I had a Ti 400 (first-generation) that had a similar screen problem, and it was not the VRAM. It worked fine with an external monitor. There was extensive discussion of this problem in the Apple support forums a while ago (also some in here) but no consensus as to the cause. Since I didn't have AppleCare, I ended up selling my TiBook for parts as I had already got a 12" AlBook by then.

I'm guessing yours is not a first-gen TiBook, and it could be an entirely different problem, but it's worth checking with an external monitor.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 19, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
I had a Ti 400 (first-generation) that had a similar screen problem, and it was not the VRAM. It worked fine with an external monitor. There was extensive discussion of this problem in the Apple support forums a while ago (also some in here) but no consensus as to the cause. Since I didn't have AppleCare, I ended up selling my TiBook for parts as I had already got a 12" AlBook by then.

I'm guessing yours is not a first-gen TiBook, and it could be an entirely different problem, but it's worth checking with an external monitor.
Well it's not like that all the time, it happens once a month maybe more, maybe less, its not after doing something specific, it happens as it pleased.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by Zitax:
Well it's not like that all the time, it happens once a month maybe more, maybe less, its not after doing something specific, it happens as it pleased.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.
Mine was random, too. In fact, I ran it for a couple of weeks without any problem before it put it on eBay, which made it difficult to give a good picture of the problem...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Zitax  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2004, 08:22 PM

Hmmm, to bad I cant fix the machine as maybe never happens to it in a month or 2 or more ?
As I have insuranse I prefer that it died now and not later, there is no way to know what its exactly causing it ?

Thx all for the replies.

anamexis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2004, 02:38 PM

If by insurance you mean AppleCare, then your problem is certainly in bad enough condition to have your TiBook repaired as it is. The TiBook does not need to completely "die" to have it repaired under warranty--something just needs to break (that was not your fault, of course)

So go ahead and send it in now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules