Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > AirPort Express Networking Problems [Official Thread]

AirPort Express Networking Problems [Official Thread] (Page 2)
all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2004, 09:47 AM

Thought it'd be wise to pipe up and say what a sweet little machine my Airport Express has been.

Plugged it in and ever since it's been doing all of the following simultaneously (which I wasn't sure it would):

- extending my Airport Extreme network
- providing a network connection to a PC connected to the Airport Express
- been hooked up to the stereo working flawlessly with AirTunes
- printing wirelessly

Great device. Money well spent.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by all2ofme:

- providing a network connection to a PC connected to the Airport Express
Did you encounter any particular difficulties in setting that up? I may have to do that for someone else shortly, and I haven't done it before.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2004, 08:45 PM

Earlier I posted a suggestion about spoofing the Ethernet MAC address of a computer with an AirPort Express similar to what you can do with other third party wireless routers. Not having an AirPort Express handy, I can't verify if this is possible �_it doesn't seem possible on my old graphite ABS �_but I have a friend a couple time zones away who is having trouble getting her APE to work with her cable ISP because the account is tied to the MAC address of her old Gateway laptop. She's on the phone with them now trying to get it switched, but if for some reason they won't, can anyone verify that you can spoof an Ethernet MAC with an APE, and if so how to do it so I can try and walk her through it over the phone?

Thanks a bunch.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2004, 09:58 PM

Anyone else think the instructions that come with the APE are about the worst Apple has done?

I can remember when the iMac came out. There were like 5 steps and you were up and running. Don't know why Apple couldn't do this with APE.

I couldn't really tell if I needed to install software or not. So I just plugged it in. Guess what. My PB, iMac and a PC running XP all noticed it immediately and I was on!

I went ahead then and installed the software on my PB only which let me change the name of the network and decide if I wanted a secure network and a password for access.

Honestly, why is the book so confusing and long winded?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2004, 03:48 AM

Nope. All that I did was set it up to extend my existing network, and once it had that connection whatever I plugged into the Ethernet jack had access to that network.

Originally posted by mo:
Did you encounter any particular difficulties in setting that up? I may have to do that for someone else shortly, and I haven't done it before.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I guess I'll wait until rev. B...
Funny thing. Seems getting rid of my awful 2.4 GHz cordless phone that always interfered with my Airport combined with the 4.01 AE SOFTWARE update that came out today seems to have cured my problems.

I had the iBook lock up after about 20 minutes and unless I set the AE to Airport B only it would stutter every 5 seconds. Now all things are fine with the B/G setting.

Rev. B my arse
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2004, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Anyone else think the instructions that come with the APE are about the worst Apple has done?
Who cares, the aiport setup assistant is wonderful. Personally I don't know anyone who needs the instructions for basic settings.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Who cares, the aiport setup assistant is wonderful. Personally I don't know anyone who needs the instructions for basic settings.
Exactly. So why even include them? Especially when they are so lame.

Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2004, 02:53 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
Exactly. So why even include them? Especially when they are so lame.
Because if they included nothing people would bitch about that also.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 12:46 PM

The Airport Setup Assistant only seems to work if you do not hide the SSID of your existing wireless network. So it appears that those who don't know how to setup a wireless network in the first place need the assistant as hiding the SSID is the first rule in wireless networking.

The second rule is some form of security which out of the box the Airport Express completely broke with third party routers. Once I installed 4.0.1 I was able to connect to my Linksys router securely.

Thanks again Apple for the dumbed down approach that only works for well... dumb people.
MacBook Pro

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Aug 31, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Thanks again Apple for the dumbed down approach that only works for well... dumb people.
Guess that is why you got one.

I hear linksys are nothing but a cakewalk

"Hello, what have we here?

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2004, 04:13 PM

Just got an AEX. Trying to integrate into my existing wireless network which is powered by a Linksys WAP 11. I have a G5 which is hardwired into my router along with the WAP 11. My Powerbook G4 uses an Airport Extreme card to join the network. WIth a whole lot of trial and error and fudging I'm able to get the Powerbook to see the AEX unit but I don't have the first idea how to get the G5 to see it (and, hopefully, use it to print). Apple tech support was beyond useless. Can anyone help???

Thanks.
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

dodo_nutter
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 10:03 AM

eric, i had the same problem but i was fiddling when i was on hold to tech support and sorta fixed itself. Now i have an AEX which can play music and act as a print server from my PB or my hard wired iMac. Sorry but i have no idea how i did it. I'll ask my dad and if he remembers i'll tell ya. Oh it doesn't extend the network though cos i have a belkin base station and i think only belkin extenders can extend them.

Now for my question...I just downloaded the AEX update but how do you update the AEX?? or is the update for your computer only? little confused here and the apple website doesn't help one bit
Soon we'll be out, amid the cold worlds strife,
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2004, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I hear linksys are nothing but a cakewalk
Erm... considering the Linksys firmware is opensource it is a cakewalk. I'm sorry you think otherwise.
MacBook Pro

ericwass
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by ericwass:
Just got an AEX. Trying to integrate into my existing wireless network which is powered by a Linksys WAP 11. I have a G5 which is hardwired into my router along with the WAP 11. My Powerbook G4 uses an Airport Extreme card to join the network. WIth a whole lot of trial and error and fudging I'm able to get the Powerbook to see the AEX unit but I don't have the first idea how to get the G5 to see it (and, hopefully, use it to print). Apple tech support was beyond useless. Can anyone help???

Thanks.
C'mon, folks! Somebody get me started here. I don't need specific instructions for the Linksys per se, just how to you get a Mac that doesn't have an airport card but shares a router with a WiFi unit to see the AEX??? Apple has this configuration illustrated in their pathetic manual and they say third party wireless routers are supported. So how is it done!?!?
"Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look, there's Magnetbox and Sorny." -HJS

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by ericwass:
C'mon, folks! Somebody get me started here. I don't need specific instructions for the Linksys per se, just how to you get a Mac that doesn't have an airport card but shares a router with a WiFi unit to see the AEX??? Apple has this configuration illustrated in their pathetic manual and they say third party wireless routers are supported. So how is it done!?!?
If you haven't yet, check out my posts on the first page of this thread. I was able to do something similar (if not the same) to what you describe at a friend's house � she has a wireless/wired Intel router, and can stream music from a wired client as well as a wireless one to her APE in the living room.

I still haven't been able to get my own APE, otherwise I could post more specific information on using it with a Linksys. It seems at least possible that for whatever reason some non-Apple brands play more nicely than others.

Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Erm... considering the Linksys firmware is opensource it is a cakewalk. I'm sorry you think otherwise.
Not think, experienced. Every wireless linksys I have had or used crashed in under 10 days. Total garbage and zero Mac Support.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 07:29 PM

Not think, experienced. Every wireless linksys I have had or used crashed in under 10 days. Total garbage and zero Mac Support.
I had the Linksys 54G and, while it lasted almost nine months, when it inexplicably died, I didn't even think of replacing it with another. That thing was a pain in the butt.

picturesnapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 07:57 PM

Quick question: where do I find this Open Source Firmware and do you know if it works with non apple wireless base stations?
Thanks Joern.

Originally posted by -Q-:
Just got an Airport Express and using the open source firmware online was able to set up the Express to extend my wireless network. It was a bit of kludge to figure out how to set up the express (the guided assistant really doesn't work very well for this-the Airport Admin is much better), but once you have it it works flawlessly. Really an impressive bit of kit.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2004, 01:11 PM

Well, this Airport Exress is pretty tempting, but I'm not sure it will work in my situation. I live in residence on campus, and every building has wireless / wired access. So I have no control over the university supplied network. Can I still use an Airport Express on that network?

I'm using a TiBook with Airport, and I know if I had to I could disconnect from the university network, and just make my own private one for listening, but then I've lost my internet access, and I can't use iTunes streaming.

I would hate to invest in this and not have it work how I would like. I know one problem may be that they register MAC address, but I'm just wondering if I Can hook it up to the exsisting network despit the MAC address concern.

But then will others in residence be able to play to my speakers?

Thanks.

-Q-
Sep 24, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by picturesnapper:
Quick question: where do I find this Open Source Firmware and do you know if it works with non apple wireless base stations?
Thanks Joern.
Sorry I wasn't clearer - it was an open source firmware for the Linksys router, not the Airport Express. There's no open source firmware for the AEx.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 05:11 PM

does Airport Express support power-over-ethernet like the Extreme now does?

I doubt it, but thought i should ask.

Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
does Airport Express support power-over-ethernet like the Extreme now does?

I doubt it, but thought i should ask.
No.

Zitax
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 05:34 PM

Hi
There is a wireless network already with a US Robotics router, In another room there is an iMac G3 with no airport card, how can I get that iMac connected ?
The idea is to connect the airport express in the other room and an ethernet cable to the iMac.
Will the AE receibe the existing wireless network signal and give the iMac internet connection through the ethernet cable ?

How to set it up ?

Connecting it and setting the iMac to DHCP does not work, how do I have to configure it ?

The actual connection has this :

IP 192.168.123.100
SubnetMask : 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.123.254

All the help apreciated.

Thx.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Zitax:
Hi
There is a wireless network already with a US Robotics router, In another room there is an iMac G3 with no airport card, how can I get that iMac connected ?
The idea is to connect the airport express in the other room and an ethernet cable to the iMac.
Will the AE receibe the existing wireless network signal and give the iMac internet connection through the ethernet cable ?

How to set it up ?
I did something similar to this. If you haven't read about it/tried it yet, check out my post on the first page of the thread. I configured the APE with an iBook, though after it was properly set up the wired client could admin it too.

Zitax
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
I did something similar to this. If you haven't read about it/tried it yet, check out my post on the first page of the thread. I configured the APE with an iBook, though after it was properly set up the wired client could admin it too.
Hi, actually you have like 8 posts in the nfirst page, as my english is not that good can you point me to the correct one ?

Just to confirm, the iMac has no airport card, I want the AE to give internet connection to the iMac through an ethernet cable.
The AE is supposed to get the already existing wireless network ( PC )

Thx.

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2004, 06:38 PM

Hi, actually you have like 8 posts in the nfirst page, as my english is not that good can you point me to the correct one ?

Just to confirm, the iMac has no airport card, I want the AE to give internet connection to the iMac through an ethernet cable.
The AE is supposed to get the already existing wireless network ( PC )

Thx.
The post I'm referring to is my first on page 1. I hope it helps. Now that I read your post more closely, though, I'm not sure if the APE will allow your AirPort card-less iMac connect to the wireless network via Ethernet between the two. Theoretically it's gotta be possible (right?), but I'm not sure if anyone here has gotten it to work that way.

Hopefully I'll finally get my own APE soon so I can play with it a lot more.

VerdeSpider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 01:38 AM

OK ...

I am having a weird problem that I can't figure out, so if anyone has an idea, I am ready for some suggestions.

PowerBook TI (first generation)
OSX 10.35
Airport (first gen) & Airport Express
Time Warner Road Runner
RCA Cable Modem (3rd Generation)

I am having an odd problem where I am constantly losing my internet connection. My signal strenth to the airport is perfect. It is just that I will be online and then all of a sudden, I am not disconnected. I still have signal to the airport, but can't connect to the internet. If i simply restart the Airport all is fine again for anywhere from 1 minute up to an hour or more.

Now - this only happens when I am connected to the Airport. Direct ethernet to the PB works fine with no problems at all.

So far I have swapped the Ethernet wire, bought an Airport Express to replace the first gen airport I was using, swapped the cable modem for a new RCA job. Still the same problem.

The cable support guy told me that the Airport has troubles getting the new IP address when they change it since it isn't a static ID. I just have a hard time believing that nobody else is having the same trouble. I just put a router inbetween the modem and airport and it seems to have done the trick, but is there a setting that can make the airport work without this problem? I have a friend who has RCN and is having the same trouble, since I am her IT guy - I am trying to find an answer. So far Earthlink and TW haven't been much help.

If anyone knows the answer, I have a feeling it will be in this forum. Thanks guys & gals!

-Charles

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2004, 02:19 AM

I'm having the same problem that many others here and in Apple's discussion forums are suffering from.

I have a G4 MDD (802.11b) and iMac 20" (802.11g) connected to the Airport Express (AX) wirelessly. The G4 never has problems connecting to the internet and is always at full signal strength. However, the iMac only shows 1 to 2 bars of signal strength at all times and can connect to the internet for a few minutes or hours at a time before being disconnected. The iMac is only 20 feet from the AX. The Airport Extreme card in the iMac is brand new. Any suggestions?

Is this more likely to be a hardware problem or something Apple can address with a software update?

ayn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 12:25 PM

oops, wrong thread.

BenN
Nov 8, 2004, 11:55 PM

Hi

How to set it up ?

Connecting it and setting the iMac to DHCP does not work, how do I have to configure it ?

The actual connection has this :

IP 192.168.123.100
SubnetMask : 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.123.254

All the help apreciated.

Thx.
This works fine if your wireless router is an Apple AirPort Extreme basestation. My home network is run through an AEBS, and my new AirPort Express acts as a remote basestation, extending the existing network. I have a Cube attached via Ethernet to the AirPort Express, connecting via DHCP with the AEBS through the AirPort Express.

I guess the question is really this: can the AirPort Express be used as a remote basestation to extend the network of non-Apple, 3rd-party 802.11g wireless routers? I don`t know the answer to this one.

Also, in answer to an earlier question, when the AirPort Express is acting as a remote basestation, you can`t use WPA; WEP is an option though.
PowerBook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 5400rpm 80GB HDD
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan
AirMac Extreme network, connected to my FTTH (100Mb/s) phat pipe 8)

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2004, 03:32 PM

I have an airport extreme base station, an airport express, and I was thinking about plugging my xbox into the ethernet port on the airport express to get the thing a live internet connection to play online. Anyone done this by any chance?

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2004, 02:04 PM

This does work -- just to let everyone know. You need to use your Airport Express to extend your network and you can bridge your XBOX to the Internet.

-Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2004, 01:36 PM

Hello,

The hosted image above is of my current network setup at home, i hope that is a good example and easy for you to understand!

What i want to know is, does the Airport Express HAVE to be used with the Airport Extreme or any other Wireless product before i can create a wireless network? I hope not.
At the moment, as you can see in the picture, i have a Cable Modem hooked up to a hub providing 4 more ethernet ports, from there i have to ethernet cables running to my iMac and Laptop. So they are both wired.
So what i wanted to do was; buy a Airport Express, and hook it up to the cable modem (have the ethernet cable run from the modem/hub into the Airport Express, and then have the internet spread wirelessly). Can this work?, from looking at Apples website, it looks like it should, but if this is not possible and i need to buy another wireless router or yet another modem or something, please let me know! Thanks in advance.
I can also post real life pics of my setup if needed (if my drawn pic is not good), just say!

PS: i hope my english is ok?
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Jack-iMac:
So what i wanted to do was; buy a Airport Express, and hook it up to the cable modem (have the ethernet cable run from the modem/hub into the Airport Express, and then have the internet spread wirelessly). Can this work?, from looking at Apples website, it looks like it should, but if this is not possible and i need to buy another wireless router or yet another modem or something, please let me know! Thanks in advance.
I can also post real life pics of my setup if needed (if my drawn pic is not good), just say!

PS: i hope my english is ok?
Yes, this will work fine. In fact, you can remove the hub and plug the AirPort Express directly into the cable modem with a normal Ethernet cable, as long as you don't want to add any more wired clients to your home network.

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by beverson:
Yes, this will work fine. In fact, you can remove the hub and plug the AirPort Express directly into the cable modem with a normal Ethernet cable, as long as you don't want to add any more wired clients to your home network.
Thanks for the reply, i will go out and get one tomorrow! looking forward to it, thanks again for reassuring me.

Jack
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

debohun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2004, 09:17 PM

Airport and Windows 2000 RAS Server problems

I recently purchased an Airport Extreme and have used it successfully, both with my home dialup service and with Ethernet connections elsewhere. The problem I am having is when I try to use it with a dialup service that runs on a Windows 2000 Remote Access Server on the ship where I am employed. In that scenario, it simply won't work. I have played around with it for days with no success. I am the administrator for the aforementioned RAS server, so I've been able to check settings on both sides. Everything appears to be properly configured and dozens of users a day are successfully accessing this RAS server to connect to the Internet via the ship's telephone system.

The setup diagram is as follows:

Powerbook G3 Pismo =(wireless)=> Airport Extreme =(dialup)=> Widows 2k RAS Server =(Ethernet)=> C-band (marine) Satillite =wireless=> Internet (shoreside)

This system works when the Airport is plugged directly into the ship's Ethernet, or when a computer is plugged directly into the telephone line, so the problem is isolated to the connection between the Airport and the dialup RAS server. Unfortunately the area where we need the wireless service cannot be cabled into the Ethernet network and a telephone line is the only option.

I am wondering if there is a basic compatibility issue, however I can find nothing documented on Apple's website. I have had a similar inquiry posted on Apple's site for several weeks--with no response from Apple. (Very disappointing.) Can any one with a similar situation assist me? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a similar piece of equipment to the AirPort that may be more compatible with a Window's based RAS server, but still easily support Macs?

Thanks in advance.
(Please cc [email protected] with any posted response.)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 04:24 PM

I just wanted to know can you use a printer/scanner combo with airport express? I was looking at a compact HP printer/scanner because it takes up less space and only needs one USB port. Is there anyway to use the scanner over airport?

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2004, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I just wanted to know can you use a printer/scanner combo with airport express? I was looking at a compact HP printer/scanner because it takes up less space and only needs one USB port. Is there anyway to use the scanner over airport?
I've not had any experience with a setup like this, but if I had to guess:

-- the scanner will almost definitely not work
-- the printer should work

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
No. It is documented that multifunction devices aren't generally compatible with AirPort Express or Extreme. Printing only.

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 04:48 PM

Read through this thread and others, but couldn't find an answer. I currently have an AirPort Extreme network in my home consisting of two AirPort Express units (one connected to the cable modem and one acting as a network extender downstairs). I used the AirPort Express setup tool to configure both and have made no modifications to that basic setup. My laptop works great everywhere in the house and even a bit outside. The connection setup is basically Motorola cable modem to Asanté router to AE base station to AE extender.

The problem is that a friend of mine who visits frequently tried to hook up his PC laptop to my network without success. He has a Netgear 802.11g network PCMCIA card and is able to see the network (along with 4 others in the immediate area) and the signal is very strong. However, even with the password to access my network, nothing happens. He is using Windows XP. We even installed the Airport Admin Utility on his PC to see if it would see the network there, but nothing shows up. The network is set up with WPA security, though we did try to see if using WEP would help to no avail. I haven't tried turning off security to see if it would work without since I really don't want to have an open network that anyone can log into, especially nosy neighbors! Something tells me there is an issue somewhere with the networking process on the PC, but since my experience with XP is limited, I'm not really sure. I can provide more detail as necessary, just not sure what would help beyond what I've listed here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

(Note - Friend is already converting to Mac slowly - hasn't gotten around to a mac laptop yet - spent all of his $$$ on a Dual G5-2.7 )
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 30, 2005, 04:58 PM

What is your friend using to configure his card-Windows itself or a utility that came with it? Does he use the wireless card anywhere else? I have an idea...but I need more info.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
What is your friend using to configure his card-Windows itself or a utility that came with it? Does he use the wireless card anywhere else? I have an idea...but I need more info.

Well, the problem seems to have resolved itself . He is using the Netgear Utility app to setup and change between networks. Pretty basic application. He has no problem accessing networks elsewhere including a neighbor who doesn't have their network locked down. The only change I made when I got home today was to turn on Interference Robustness since there are several other networks in the area. Maybe the computer's stress detector was sensing our dismay yesterday and just decided to have some fun with us.

Thanks!
MacMini 2.0 Ghz C2D/160GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/3X 1 TB Ext HDs; iMac C2D 20" 2.66 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD/20" Display with external 20" Apple Cinema Display; PB G4 1.67 GHz 17"/250GB/1 GB RAM/8x Dual-Layer SD; 5G iPod Classic 160GB; 2G iPod Shuffle; AppleTV

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 05:32 PM

Just set up my AE today for the first time but experiencing very poor signal with no apparent interference and the music skips. Here's the very simple and straightforward setup.

In a room about 20 feet long, my iMac--running OS 10.4.2 with Airport software version 4.2 (latest) and a brand new airport extreme card installed--is on one end. On the other end is the fireplace above which there is an enclosure that houses my stereo and my cable modem.

The problem is that I can only get 2 bars of signal (which I presume causes the music skipping) when the iMac is a straight shot 20 feet or less away! There are no 2.4 ghz devices operating to my knowledge. I do have a 2.4 ghz phone a couple of rooms away but I unplugged it and nothing changed. I downloaded the AE firmware updater (6.1.1) but when I went to install it it indicated to me that the AE already had version 6.2 installed which was done automatically when I opened the Airport Setup Assistant.

To clarify again, there is very little apparent interference. It's essentially a straight shot across the room with nothing in the way, let alone anything metal or concrete. Any suggestions?

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2005, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Stecchino
To clarify again, there is very little apparent interference. It's essentially a straight shot across the room with nothing in the way, let alone anything metal or concrete. Any suggestions?
Try turning on "Interference Robustness" on either the iMac, the base station, or both. I guess there could be other interference from some unknown source. Also, try switching channels on the base station — usually it will automatically pick a good channel, but if you can find one that consistently works better than the others, lock into that one (at least for a while).

Also, use iStumbler to more accurately check the strength of the network as you switch Interference Robustness on and off and switch channels: http://www.istumbler.net/.

Good luck.

Stecchino
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2005, 06:38 PM

At some point, I did turn on Interference Robustness and now the signal sits between 2 and 3 bars most of the time, which is better. Thanks for your other suggestions. as well, I'll look into it.

its_deb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 10:46 PM

So.. I just got my AE the other day and managed to set up the internet to work. I have my printer (hp deskjet 5150) plugged into the usb port and its turned on, etc. My speakers (jbl duets) are also plugged into the AE and are on. The printer registers and it's location is through my airport, but when i try to print it just says "stopped" and I don't know how to fix that. The second issue is that the speakers don't show up in my itunes so I can only listen to music through my computer or plug them back in. When my internet wasn't working (one of the settings... the one about the ip address), the speakers and the printer both worked. Now that internet is working, the speakers and printer aren't. Any ideas??????

El Maestro
Sep 20, 2005, 08:52 PM

Perhaps you folks can help me with a problem that popped up today.

I'm using an AirPort Express as a router/base station, and for airtunes. Everything was fine until I woke up the PB today and now the Internet function won't work at all. I can connect to it without issue and use the Admin Utilitly on it. The light is green, and I can still stream music to it. I've reset it several times, restarted the cable modem, and I can connect to other wireless networks in my apartment complex so I know it's not my PB. The cable modem works, I connected to it now the old fashioned wired way. I didn't change any settings, so I don't know why it suddenly won't work. Any ideas?

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 09:57 AM

Airport Extreme Base Station and an express... Both in same room (wireless printer/speakers is the main reason, wireless network relay to my workstation for fixing PC's all afternoon is secondary reason ) and when I go to the Airport utility in "Utilities" I can see both the base station and the express. Again one is a relay to the other (express relays for the base station wirelessly) and that all works great... Except...

When I double click the base station it asks for my password, type it in, can edit the base station's config just fine. Double click the xpress, type in the pwd, it says "unable to access config file" or something along those lines... Every time. I've reconfigured the setup numerous times where I could access it at first but when it turns into a relay it all of a sudden loses the ability to be modified... Is this a feature or a problem? Not too big a deal since the setup works, but still... I should be able to configure the express, right? Reason I want to access it is to upload any new software updates as they become available if required. Either way, any info appreciated.

Rey :)

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 06:12 PM

I have a rather interesting problem... I have a new AEX on a college campus that registers your hardware's MAC address to the LAN connection... Anyway, when I update the MAC to reflect the AEX's ethernet ID, the switch goes through the college's system but I still can't get on the net... I get redirected to the Welcome, please register page. However, my friend who works at the HelpDesk can ping my IP and receive data, as well, I can send/receive security tickets (Kerberos)... just no internet. IMO, I am on the network, but they won't send me data or the data doesn't make it past AEX. I think this is more of a problem on their end, but I wondered if anyone knows much about this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules