Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 3 External Displays on iMac

3 External Displays on iMac
stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2006, 12:41 AM

I never thought about using a Matrox splitter before, but they have what they call a TripleHead2Go. It's made specifically for laptops with support for an external display, yet it acts as 3 external displays. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I can see no reason for this not to work on an iMac, MacBook, or MacBook Pro.

It comes at a hefty price (approx. $300), but it sure seems like a good idea to me.

Matrox TripleHead2Go: $309.95

Will C
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2006, 05:28 AM

I guess you treat the unit as one display but with 3 times the horizontal resoltuion of one of the monitors and it does the splitting for you, So if each monitor was 1024x768*, you would drive the unit as if it was a monitor of 3072x768 - I guess the iMac could probably do this with sufficent video RAM (allow 4 bytes per pixel R, G, B and alpha), but you might need to to use a special utility for custom resolutions such as switchres.

* I know this is a bit low nowadays, but just an easy example

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2006, 10:04 AM

The downside is that it's VGA only... the same thing in DVI would be much more interesting (and undoubtedly more expensive/complicated).

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2006, 01:18 PM

Yeah, VGA isn't that bad though. I'm using an external VGA and to be honest, I can't notice a difference between it and my iMac screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules