Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rosetta Woes

Rosetta Woes
stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 04:37 AM

Be careful when you use programs like MonoLingual to remove unused languages and PPC compatibility from programs. I did this when I first got my MacBook, to save a few gigs, and I have no Rosetta functionality anymore. It ceases to work.

Just thought you guys should know. If you want to get rid of the languages, just reinstall the OS
 Certified AppleCare Technician

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 05:24 AM

Yes I had that problem too a while ago. They should really put a warning into Monolingual and make sure that option is off by default on intel machines.

You can remove all the languages just fine, but leave the other stuff alone. The only solution is an archive and install to make Rosetta work again.

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 05:30 AM

Yeah an archive/install is what I had planned. A pity though. I just got everything the way I like. At least now, however, I can remove the languages and printer drivers safely, when I reinstall

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 11:45 AM

Yeah, don't forget to remove stuff like garageband sounds too (how many people actually use garageband?) I even managed to delve into iPhoto and deleted all those cards, calendars, books etc. that take up hundreds of megs. iPhoto still works fine, maybe even faster.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2006, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by stefanicotine View Post
Yeah an archive/install is what I had planned. A pity though. I just got everything the way I like. At least now, however, I can remove the languages and printer drivers safely, when I reinstall
What about just not installing unwanted languages and printer drivers in the first place?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
What about just not installing unwanted languages and printer drivers in the first place?
Well, the system comes pre-installed with all that crap on it in the first place, no?

nickw311
Senior User
Dec 15, 2006, 02:28 AM

yeah the system comes preinstalled with it. I got rid of some of my extra languages with monolingual on my MacBook and all works fine. I must have chosen the right things to get rid of :-)
27" iMac C2D

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 02:37 AM

You can get rid of the languages with Monolingual, just don't remove PowerPC code — that's what kills Rosetta.

Still, I'm amazed that the author of Monolingual hasn't put in a warning dialogue before the app wrecks your system frameworks. It's certainly happened to enough people. I don't think the option should be in the app at all, but if it is, how insane not to warn people what it entails.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 07:32 AM

Hmm, I removed PPC code with Monolingual but have not seen any Rosetta problems so far!?!
How exactly do those problems look like?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2006, 12:32 PM

The problem is that nothing will run in Rosetta. It might only kick in after a restart. I've never really felt like experimenting with it myself.

EDIT: Looking at Monolingual's FAQ, I see that it has an option to remove PPC code only from apps. This should be safe as long as you don't want to run those apps in Rosetta. It's stripping PPC code from the system that breaks Rosetta.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Dec 15, 2006 at 07:10 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

stefanicotine  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I had just gotten my MacBook, and you know how it goes Nobody wants to take the time to reformat when they get a new toy. Anyways, I ran an Archive and Install and saved 5 gigs taking out a bunch of the bundled stuff. Thing that sucks though ... with an Archive and Install it keeps your programs. Haha, so the programs I chose not to install are installed anyways

Nothing App Delete can't fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules