Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Least Expensive OS X Compatible Scanner

Least Expensive OS X Compatible Scanner
schalliol
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2003, 06:57 AM

I currently have a UMAX 1600U USB scanner that will not work with OS X. It is the only reason I have to boot in OS 9. Not only is doing that irritating, but last time the computer failed to load. Since I don't like: , I would like to replace my scanner.

I am not looking for anything fancy, and would even take something used. I mainly just need it to scan documents and sometimes images, especially for my wife's 1st grade class. I do however want it to work, anything named "Broksonic" (when I worked at CompUSA we gave Broksonic TVs away with computer purchases....we later had to recall them because we found out they weren't FCC compliant! Say that name out loud) or "Magnaphony" need not apply. Thoughts?

Any PC users out there with an OS X compat. scanner, want to trade?

Thanks!

- Jon

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 04:37 PM

Ok, if you don't know the LEAST, how about inexpensive....

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2003, 05:12 PM

The Canon N124OU is very good with great quality and is compatible with OS X (VueScan only), its self powered and It is also bundled with a Photoshop Elements. Its �79.99
we don't have time to stop for gas

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2003, 08:06 PM

I would tell you to just buy VueScan ( www.hamrick.com ), but unfortunately the Umax 1600 isn't supported.

I don't know which scanners presently support OS X directly and reliably - few if any - but my advice would be to get a scanner that is supported by VueScan (check the website). VueScan is a great scanning utility and frees you from worrying about uneven OS X support.

Most of the USB Epsons and Canons are supported, and some HPs. For $100-120 you could buy a basic scanner ($60-80) and add VueScan ($40), then sell your Umax on eBay.

Otherwise you might have a long wait for good OX S support.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 07:57 AM

the N124OU is supported by both versions of VueScan ...

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
the N124OU is supported by both versions of VueScan ...
Both versions? There is only one...
Didn't Canon recently release OS X drivers for most (if not all) of their scanners?
I have an Epson. It is supported directly through Image Capture, but I also use VueScan.

xtal
Senior User
Jan 18, 2003, 01:54 PM

I just ordered the Canon CanoScan LiDE 20, which is listed on Canon Canada's website as being compatible with OS X.

Actually, the predecessor of this scanner is compatible as well, as my friend owns it. I believe it ran me roughly USD$55 after everything (shipping, taxes, etc.).

I'll post some sort of review in the coming weeks, depending on how much time I have to play with it.

-Nick

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2003, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
Both versions? There is only one...
Didn't Canon recently release OS X drivers for most (if not all) of their scanners?
I have an Epson. It is supported directly through Image Capture, but I also use VueScan.
The registered version supports more scanners, so if you didnt't want to register you could still use the software

tomaszek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2003, 03:15 PM

$40 for VueScan is an overkill for scanners in $50-$100 range.
I would rather buy slightly more expensive scanner with OS X software provided by the original manufacturer.
Since Epson supports lame TWAIN interface only (last time I checked), I would look towards Canon.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
The registered version supports more scanners, so if you didnt't want to register you could still use the software
When I downloaded VueScan to try it out, it left watermarks on my scans. I think you have to register and pay to get rid of the watermarks. However, I could be mistaken.

To schalliol: if the small Canons support OS X, by all means get one. VueScan is a great utility but you don't need it for occasional scanning, and it doesn't provide OCR.

schalliol  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 03:49 PM

Thanks a lot for the info. If anyone has one of these cheap ones to sell, let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules