Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Scanner Envy

Scanner Envy
moggy
Dec 5, 2001, 09:35 PM

Hey what's up everyone?

I'm curious if any of you can give me some feedback on the scanners you have and what might be a good purchase for the holiday season. I'm looking for one around $125 to $200. I'll be only using it for scanning in illustrations to use in Photoshop or Illustrator, so I'm very picky about resolution. Speed and a nice program to support it is important. I don't really care about all the extra e-mail features or other nonsense like that.

Of course, I wish I could get one with firewire, but I'm guessing there doesn't exist one in that price range.

So, if anybody recently bought a scanner in that price range and they recommend, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

G5 Dual 2Ghz UNF UNF

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by moggy:
<STRONG>Hey what's up everyone?

So, if anybody recently bought a scanner in that price range and they recommend, please let me know!

Thanks everyone! </STRONG>
A bit negative, but avoid anything by Umax. Okay scans, but the software is awful. Microtek might be a better bet.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2001, 04:21 AM

I've got a HP 5370C. The current model with like features would be the 4470cse for 200 bucks. Excellent scanner with my favorite Mac scanning software. HPs are just plain good at everything in their scanning line and excellent in a few places. My second choice would be an Epson and then Canon.

PeteWK

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2001, 04:26 AM

I've got a HP 5370C. The current model with like features would be the 4470cse for 200 bucks. Excellent scanner with my favorite Mac scanning software. HPs are just plain good at everything in their scanning line and excellent in a few places. My second choice would be an Epson and then Canon.

PeteWK

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 10:52 AM

Dont get Microtek! I would look at Canon. Good products, good looking .

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2001, 03:13 PM

I like my Canon 1240, which was just under $200, might be less now.

Depending on what you're doing with it and where, you might really like the fact that it's ultra-slim and is powered straight from the USB cable. Since I use it with a portable, those features are critical for me. Otherwise, it's just nice since it doesn't contribute to desktop cable-snaking.

The software works fine. Includes a photoshop import plugin. It is USB so it isn't super-quick, but it works. They're working on an OS X version...

Otherwise I also have heard good things about the HPs, less good on Epsons.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 01:00 AM

I've been very happy with my Canon 1220U, the current model of which is the 1240U. The only draw back is speed, since it's a USB scanner.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 02:16 AM

I recommend the Epson 1640. Not only does it have a genuine optical resolution of 1600 dpi, it has true 48 bit color (some scanners advertise 48 bits but only send 24 bits to the computer). It also has a more robust scanning mechanism. It's also the fastest consumer model on the market.

For an extra $50 you can get the Photo model with Photoshop Elements included.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 12:59 PM

I've got the Umax 6450. Great scanner. Firewire connection, fast as hell. 42 Bit Color scanning. Transparency cover. You can get the 6400 without transparency as well. They were upwards of 200-300 bucks before but I think you can get the 6400 for under 150 now.

And on a side note, IT WORKS ON OSX. I use Vue Scan 3.7. Wonderful!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Tristrami
Senior User
Dec 10, 2001, 05:50 PM

Canon 1240U - $199

It got great reviews, it's sleek, silvery and USB-bus powered!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2001, 07:55 PM

I admire the Canon 1240 for its compactness and portability (it's USB-powered), but there's a trade-off. It's slow. And in order to be compact, it uses a different type of scanning device (CIS) which is not as refined as the conventional CCD. Also, it doesn't have true 48-bit color depth (it only sends 24 bits to the computer). So, if resolution and speed are your top priorities, I would steer you away from the Canon. If compactness and USB-power are your priorities, then the Canon is great.

This isn't to say that the Canon doesn't do an excellent job as a consumer scanner - it's just to point out the relative trade-offs.

JTVD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 08:05 PM

I bought the Canon and returned it, it was just soooo slow for colour scans.
I have an older Canon Scanner (FB636U), that was the best small scanner they had at the time and it also is very, very slow. I thought, two years later, they would have sorted that.
The 1240 is even slower.
I am waiting for OSX compatible scanners to come out now.
Epson has a new scanner, the 2450 (I think), Firewire and USB 2.
That should be fast (but is a bit more expensive). It has a built-in Trannie adapter.
OSX drivers promised.
The HP scanners certainly look the most solidly built scanners among the rest, some of the cheap ones are insultingly badly made.

Forum Links
Forum Rules