Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ThemePark Extras.rsrc with enhanced menus in Tiger

ThemePark Extras.rsrc with enhanced menus in Tiger
llee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 06:04 PM

Is there any way to get ThemePark to export a flat Extras.rsrc file that will let me display enhanced menus in Tiger? I didn't have trouble with that in Panther, but all I can see in my root menu for any Extras.rsrc files I've edited for Tiger are the contents of the 2028 and 2029 Root Menu Caps and Root Menu Fill resources.

I thought about trying to learn to edit layo resources, but I can't find any layo resources containing references to 2028 and 2029 that I haven't already replaced to no avail (or with any effect whatsoever). I'm not sure there is a way to get those enhanced menus to show up in Tiger without using ShapeShifter. (Shapeshifter is a terrific product, but I like to tweak a few things it won't give me access to.)

Thanks,

llee

digitaljames
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 06:28 PM

Define *flat* and define *enhanced menus*...... If you mean 3d or beveled enhancements then they aren't possible without shapeshifter. All you can edit is what you mentioned and the menu selected background.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 07:20 PM

Tiger does not use the 'layo' resource for menu drawing (or, as far as I know, at all). ShapeShifter is "faking it" when it draws them.

There's no way to use enhanced menus without using ShapeShifter.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

llee  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by digitaljames
Define *flat* and define *enhanced menus*...... If you mean 3d or beveled enhancements then they aren't possible without shapeshifter. All you can edit is what you mentioned and the menu selected background.
Thank you for the reply!

Actually I was just using the term "flat" to describe a full fledged, data fork only, Extras.rsrc file - one that can be directly substituted for the one in use by the system as opposed to an incomplete version such as what would typically be extracted from a GUIKIT by Guikitty. I haven't had any trouble customizing the file using Resorcerer and ThemePark.

An example of an enhanced menu would be the riveted boiler plate appearance of menu items beautifully crafted into the Aluminum Alloy theme. Please keep in mind that I've managed to faithfully reproduce that particular feature in many Panther compatible iterations of the Extras.rsrc file. I'll be happy to provide a screen snapshot with the "no haxies installed" Application Enhancer message, or better yet just email you a customized Panther Extras.rsrc file along with the unfinished Tiger version. Of course that particular theme can't be faithfully duplicated this way because of the non-grayscale element for the metal window texture. But the enhanced menus weren't a problem in Panther.

See http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/res/cu...e_install.html for an explanation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules