Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook 'Blinks' on Waking

MacBook 'Blinks' on Waking
Personman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 12:30 PM

I have a first-gen MacBook, and aside from being a little slow at times it's served me just fine. However, recently, whenever I leave it on for a while and it turns off the screen (not actually asleep) and then come back and press a key to wake it, the screen flashes on for a second, then goes a sort of shiny black with the mouse visible for about ten seconds and _then_ finally wakes up all the way. It wakes from real sleep pretty well, though you have to press a key, not just open it - is there a way to change that? Anyway, any clue as to what I might be doing to cause this behaviour or ideas for fixes would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

sparklee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 01:06 PM

Not sure how to resolve -- but fwiw my MacBook does this too.


Sep 25, 2006, 06:56 PM

Sounds like possibly a crunched cable in the hinge area... this happened to my iBook G3 back in the day.
-

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 08:59 PM

mine also does this "blinking" but it doesnt take that long to be awake... ive just been brushing it off as nothing.. who knows maybe its pissed because we are waking it up from its slumber.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2006, 01:49 PM

Same issue here! I just noticed it, it didn't used to happen but a few days ago. Maybe the new os x updated did something? When I put my MBP to sleep, upon waking, i see the screen just as I left it, but nothing works or moves. then I am taken to a blue screen for about 3 seconds which then fades into my real comp waking up. Whats going on? It is quite annoying. Any suggestions?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 08:41 AM

Mine did it from the start. On boot up and waking from sleep. To me its just normal and it doesn't cause any problems.
Signature depreciated.

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2006, 10:10 AM

Mine does this too... I see no problem...
Think Diferente!

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 15, 2006, 02:13 AM

Well I find it strange that my old ibook g4 just immediately went to a working state as soon as I lifted the lid.. why is that not the case with my new MBP ?

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 04:01 PM

Okay, wow I seriously do not understand how you guys find this acceptable. I always find myself openning my mbp and trying to quit/start apps only to find nothing works, then the blue screen comes on for 10 seconds (a really really long time if you are sitting in lecture) and slowly fades into the real desktop.

Just try this, I find that if i restart the computer and then close the lid to put it to sleep (wait for the pulsating white light), opening it up up again immediately wakes it without this "blinking" action! Just try it and realize that this is how it is suppose to be. Apparently, after some time, the computer starts the blinking thing again .... I don't want to restart 600 times a day...

Just post if you have to report this doesn't happen to you or something ...

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by cold aspiration View Post
Okay, wow I seriously do not understand how you guys find this acceptable. I always find myself openning my MacBook Pro and trying to quit/start apps only to find nothing works, then the blue screen comes on for 10 seconds (a really really long time if you are sitting in lecture) and slowly fades into the real desktop.

Just try this, I find that if i restart the computer and then close the lid to put it to sleep (wait for the pulsating white light), opening it up up again immediately wakes it without this "blinking" action! Just try it and realize that this is how it is suppose to be. Apparently, after some time, the computer starts the blinking thing again .... I don't want to restart 600 times a day...

Just post if you have to report this doesn't happen to you or something ...
We're talking about MacBooks not MBPs
Signature depreciated.

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2006, 10:03 PM

^nonetheless, the symptoms seem relatively the same.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hairstyle View Post
Whos wearing short hair v/s long hair or whats your hair style your wearing now?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2006, 04:04 PM

I think the blinking is related to "safe Sleep". Do some searching. You can turn it off if you want and see if the blinking goes away.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules