Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wall Mount Cable Management

Wall Mount Cable Management
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 02:03 AM

I'm upgrading a customer from a jumbled stack of small networking devices (modem, small switch, linksys router) to a nice wall mounted networking board, with a 24 port switch and everything (including their Mac mini server eventually) mounted neatly on the wall. I started mounting things on the wall and I was very excited. Then I started to connect all the wires together and all of the beauty and elegance of the wall mount went away. What was left was a wall mounted version of the same mess that used to be on a desk. It IS much more organized this way, but it LOOKS only marginally more organized.

What is needed is simple, a way to organize the cables. I've seen plenty of nylon clips that you can screw or nail into a surface. But I need more flexibility. I need to be able to add and remove devices and associated cables without having to re-wire the whole board. (and yes, the 3' yellow cables can all be replaced with 1.5' yellow cables).

So are there any neat devices out there that will work well at sprucing up this setup? There is now another little surface mount 4 port box above the switch, that the three blue wires (minus the spool) are attached to. And the mini will eventually go most likely above the Time Capsule.

Here's a pic of the board:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2013, 08:45 AM

What if you use pegboard instead of plywood, and all the cables go behind the board, coming up through the holes only for connections? You could put the board on door hinges for re-jiggering the cables as needed.

Or... what if instead of the wall you use the underside of a table or desk?

andi*pandi
Jun 25, 2013, 09:53 AM

I like the pegboard idea.

Another thought, is there a practical reason not to have all the cords/ports facing down? a) easier to see the ports, b) all facing the same way will look neater. You can have a "path" down the middle so they don't look jumbled. Maybe put some nails/cup hooks (peg board again?) at certain intervals and wrap the cords around the corners so they look neat and at right angles.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2013, 04:27 PM

Order a two post telcom rack: NetShelter 2 Post Rack 45U #12-24 Threaded Holes Black

Order shelves for devices that are not rack mountable.

Install the rack in closet.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2013, 07:00 PM

If you want it as neat as possible but with ease of rewiring, you need to go rackmount like iMOTOR said. IOW, add space (don't forget room to get behind the rack).

If you don't want to add that much space, and still want to maintain total ease of rewiring, leave it messy and build or buy a shallow box to cover the rats nest.

If you don't want to build a box, but still want neat, give up on ease of rewiring.

The best compromise tools I've found for neatness and ease of rewiring are zipties and a willingness to snip then replace when rewiring happens.

The best tool to snip a ziptie without nicking your cables is a pair of nail clippers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules