Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help networking with AOL DSL

Help networking with AOL DSL
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2003, 11:37 PM

OK, here's the deal.

I'm currently living with my parents (ack) and they use Windows 98 and AOL. They have AOL DSL set up through AOL 7.0.

I want to split the signal so that I can access the internet from my Powerbook (1st gen Titanium) with an Airport card. I have AOL for OSX installed (10.2.1).

I have an AOL certified router (Linksys Wireless Access Point Router with 4-port switch).

Anyway, I was told a month or so ago (by AOL tech support) that this would work. The guy assured me of this. Today I try to set it up and get no where. I tried calling AOL tech support, but now they tell me that they do not support networking in any way so they would be of ) help. Great.

I currently have the PC up and running. The modem goes into the uplink port and the PC is connected to one of the ports. It's the Mac that's the problem. Ot doesn't seem to be able to connect no matter how I set it. It sees the signal, and gets it pretty well, but thats as far as I have gotten. (yes, I'm pretty ignorant in these matters)

What now? I know a lot about Macs, but networking (especially when PCs and wireless access are concerned) are very far from my expertise. Can someone help me out or point me in the right direction to get the help I need? Thanks.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 01:55 AM

Anyone??? Help?

bjresta
Mar 1, 2003, 02:18 AM

It's no help to you, but I have also been frustrated in attempts to connect AOL for Mac OSX through a Linksys router. Runs fine through an Airport, but never connects through the router. However, I can connect AOL 8.0 on a Wintel pc through the same router. Aaargh!

The AOL tech did write:

"NOTE: America Online uses port 5190 to allow you to communicate with the service. If you are connecting through a firewall, you will need to leave this port open. If you require further assistance, please contact your Network Administrator."

However, playing with the port settings did not help me. Maybe you'll have better luck. If you find an answer, please post it.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2003, 12:30 PM

You both may need to see what settings are available in the Admin Utility to select ports, etc. It looks like an issue with the bridge between the wireless and wired networks (if a wired computer connects-whatever platform it's running-that says that the router is doing its part).

This sort of conflict is why a lot of people dump AOL-their stuff "doesn't play nice" with established standards. You may also find that there weren't a lot of posts offering help because some people are embarassed that they use AOL . Anyway, see if your computers can plug in (wired) to the router and connect to AOL. If they can, we can start messing with AirPort settings.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2003, 12:36 PM

ACK!

You know what. I couldn't even get i9t to work without the router.

I called tech support today (what fun that is) and the guy on tyhe phone informs that AOL Broadband will not work on a MAc no matter what I do.

I asked what specifically was stopping it and he wouldn't tell me. He said it was something different about how macs connect to the internet and I should talk to Apple.

I asked him why I could call 1000 ISPs and get connected with a Mac or a PC 999 times with the exact same settings, but when I call AOL, the largest ISP in the country, they were too stupid to figure it out.

He didn't know. I don't think they know anything. What a crock.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2003, 12:45 PM

The crock is the "support tech" you talked to. He was full of bull. There is nothing weird about how Macs do networking. What's weird is how AOL does networking. Further, experience of thousands of customers proves the person's information to be incorrect.

Anyway, there's another thread floating around about getting a base station to do AOL through a router-I've posted that you should make sure the base station is configured to NOT distribute IP addresses-go to the Network tab of the Admin Utility and uncheck "Distribute IP addresses." See if that helps.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bjresta
Mar 1, 2003, 12:51 PM

There is no problem with AOL for Mac OSX when the Mac is connected via Airport to the cable modem. The only problem is with AOL for Mac OSX when the router is used.
Mac>cable modem: works
Mac>Airport>cable modem: works
Mac>Airport (bridge mode)>router>cable modem: fails
Mac>router>cable modem: fails

AOL for Mac OSX is the only Mac software that's screwing up.

Of interest is that the PC AOL 8.0 works fine with Airport (wired through the LAN port).
PC>cable modem: works
pc>Airport>cable modem: works
pc>Airport (bridge mode)>router>cable modem: works
PC>router>cable modem: works

So this appears to be an problem with AOL for Mac OSX going through a Linksys router.

Any other suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules