Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Anyone know how to convert .ai files to .plt or HPGL format for Plotters?

Anyone know how to convert .ai files to .plt or HPGL format for Plotters?
creativemind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 11:41 PM

Anyone know how to convert .ai Illustrator files to .plt or HPGL format for Plotters?

Debabelizer only does raster formats, and I need something will convert Vector formats...

Any ideas?

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 07:33 AM

While I realize it doesn't exactly tackle the problem head-on, couldn't you just convert the adobe illustrator files to raster format and make them into Photoshop tiff's/eps's ?

MikeM

gadster
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 08:29 AM

an your plotter take .eps files? .ai files can be saved as .eps, easily.
e-gads

creativemind  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
an your plotter take .eps files? .ai files can be saved as .eps, easily.
Thanks for the thoughts, the issue is that the die cutter is using some pc software that only accepts these.plt file's also known as HPGL format. I did some research and found that this .plt file is also know as Hywlet Packard Plotter format HPGL, as well I have some research that say "Graphic Converter" will work but have not tried it yet.

I would have thought that there must be an illustrator export plug in that would do this but i have not found it as of yet.

Thanks to everyone for there thoughts so far.

robert

B.I.L
Apr 4, 2003, 05:26 AM

Where I work we deal with .plt's and .hpg's from architects. They seem to sort of like the .ps files you'd get by doing a print to file; that is they are somewhat tied to the printer driver they are created with, and record the output that would be sent to the printer. The architects create them at their shops using the driver for our printer, send them to us, then we output them.

The only program I am positive creates them is AutoCAD, but I'm sure most drafting apps do. Maybe research some stuff in the drafting sector.

Sorry I can't answer your question but perhaps this info can help you.

PMG4:533GHZx2/1GB/440GB/10.4
PB12:1GHZ/768MB/40GB/10.4

creativemind  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by B.I.L:
. The only program I am positive creates them is AutoCAD, but I'm sure most drafting apps do. Maybe research some stuff in the drafting sector.
Hey B.I.L. Thanks for the ideas.
Robert

cowerd
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 06:41 PM

Later version of Illustrator will export to .DXF and .DWG. You can then manipulate these in ACAD, ACAD LT or another CAD program to generate plotfiles. There may be some issues regarding path direction and the die cutter.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Forum Links
Forum Rules