Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cant make copies of CD's that came with my Mac???

Cant make copies of CD's that came with my Mac???
Cindy74
Oct 19, 2002, 04:46 PM

How come I cannot make copies of the OS X and Restore CD's that came with my mac? Is there some kind of copy protection on them? Cant we have backup CD's

I have tried this with Toast and the CD copy utility that comes with the Mac (dual 867) and I get an I/O error right about when it is finished making an Image. (I have burned other CD's)

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 04:51 PM

How large is the disk image?

Quite often, software companies will include more on a disk than normal disks are capable of holding. For example, the game Diablo II prevents disc copying by using 750 or 800mb CD's, and filling them right up. I don't know where or how you can get them, but they exist. A normal 700mb disk holds about 703 mb. This might be part of it.

There might be software issues like some sort of unusual file format that Apple uses for it's OS X install disks.

Pure conjecture, of course, I really have no idea in particular but I hope this helps.

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 19, 2002, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
How large is the disk image?

Quite often, software companies will include more on a disk than normal disks are capable of holding. For example, the game Diablo II prevents disc copying by using 750 or 800mb CD's, and filling them right up. I don't know where or how you can get them, but they exist. A normal 700mb disk holds about 703 mb. This might be part of it.

There might be software issues like some sort of unusual file format that Apple uses for it's OS X install disks.

Pure conjecture, of course, I really have no idea in particular but I hope this helps.
I believe they are normal size. Even so, I even tried to make a disk image first and that doesnt work either.

I guess I need to know how I create startup CD's
( Last edited by Cindy74; Oct 19, 2002 at 05:08 PM. )

jamerican
Oct 19, 2002, 06:04 PM

Cindy, open Toast and make an Image File of the disc (it will save it with a .Toast extension). After the Image file has been made, click on "Other" in Toast and then select "Disc Image". You will then be prompted to select an image to burn. Select the image you have just created and burn it to a cd.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 19, 2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by jamerican:
Cindy, open Toast and make an Image File of the disc (it will save it with a .Toast extension). After the Image file has been made, click on "Other" in Toast and then select "Disc Image". You will then be prompted to select an image to burn. Select the image you have just created and burn it to a cd.
hmmmm, Im doing it like you said and its just hanging at the end of track 1...It just finished saying there were read errors in the disk

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2002, 06:52 PM

Will dragging the entire disk to your hdd and burning off of that image make a difference, or is that basically what is already being tried?

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 19, 2002, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Zimmerman:
Will dragging the entire disk to your hdd and burning off of that image make a difference, or is that basically what is already being tried?
I think when you do that it doesnt make a boot up CD...Ill try it though

MacOS
Oct 20, 2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by Cindy74:

hmmmm, Im doing it like you said and its just hanging at the end of track 1...It just finished saying there were read errors in the disk
Not sure if this will help but...

When ever I have errors burning a disc I try again using a slower burn speed like 12X or lower. 9 out of 10 times it works for me.

HTH

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 20, 2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by MacOS:

Not sure if this will help but...

When ever I have errors burning a disc I try again using a slower burn speed like 12X or lower. 9 out of 10 times it works for me.

HTH
I have burned quite a few CD's since my original post.... I have since found out it just wont create the boot-up CD

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 01:40 PM

cindy

it is possible. i have done it. the disk image way is the best way to do it as that is what it is for (burning from cd to another cd fro people without 2 cdrs)

so i suggest you restart your machine (or shutdown for the night) try making the image and then at a slow burn speed - 6-12x burn the image like they said and it should work.

if not, maybe your toast is messed up. i reccomend toast titanium
snappy

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 20, 2002, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
cindy

it is possible. i have done it. the disk image way is the best way to do it as that is what it is for (burning from cd to another cd fro people without 2 cdrs)

so i suggest you restart your machine (or shutdown for the night) try making the image and then at a slow burn speed - 6-12x burn the image like they said and it should work.

if not, maybe your toast is messed up. i reccomend toast titanium
It wont make the image and someone told me last night that Apple has copy protection on the boot disk

Mark Tungston
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2002, 02:07 PM

i say it can be done because i have a external burner and have made back ups as soon as i bought jag (they work)

i assume that a disk image could been made as it's similar except you're burning a fake cd onto your desktop...

try getting a hold of a external cdrw and burn direct cd to cd. i did that and it worked.
snappy

Cindy74  (op)
Oct 20, 2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Mark Tungston:
i say it can be done because i have a external burner and have made back ups as soon as i bought jag (they work)

i assume that a disk image could been made as it's similar except you're burning a fake cd onto your desktop...

try getting a hold of a external cdrw and burn direct cd to cd. i did that and it worked.
You are right. I just re-booted, cleaned the CD I was trying to make a copy of and it worked just fine. I do see scratches on the thing. I can thank the people I bought the computer from for that!

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2002, 07:10 AM

Toast 5 and higher cannot make any decent copy of a slightly protected cd.

Toast 4.2 is able to make bootable cd's. so you can copy OS8, OS9 and the Norton Systemworks and boot from it while starting up.

Unforgivable an Apple is unable to make a 1 to 1 copy of a cd. You need a cheap pc with Nero or EasyCd Creator to do this.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 21, 2002, 05:50 PM

Disk Copy has never failed to make a working image of any system CD I've tried... (in OS 9, you still have to burn the disc image with Toast... in OS X, Disk Copy can burn it, too).

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules