Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How Apple handled Intel announcement

View Poll Results: Was Apple's timing good with Intel announcement?
Poll Options:
Finally, why did they wait so long? 10 votes (12.99%)
A little unexpected, but roadmap looks good. 48 votes (62.34%)
Not sure, anything could happen now. 13 votes (16.88%)
Announcement was too early and will hurt sales. 5 votes (6.49%)
Osbourne effect will kill Apple. 1 votes (1.30%)
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll
How Apple handled Intel announcement
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 12:15 AM

What's your opinion on Apple's handling of the Intel transition/announcement?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 10:25 AM

It actually gave enough time for me to say "I should buy now to weather the storm"

I would rather Apple get it out there and give the developers a few years to get their apps up to snuff. Our OS is working well... and I don't see any major issues for the next few months.

The ONLY issue I had was ANOTHER fast OS X upgrade. 18 months? I thought they said they were slowing down [perhaps my math is bad]?

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:16 PM

Good timing IMHO.

• There is still time to get up to speed before Longhorn. Microsoft hasn't go a lot to compete with in the meanwhile.

• Even if pros will be cautious regarding PowerMacs and PowerBooks, the iPod/Mini thing should keep the marketshare/sales numbers reasonably nice. Hopefully high enough to reassure developers that there are buyers of Mac software titles.

J

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
The ONLY issue I had was ANOTHER fast OS X upgrade. 18 months? I thought they said they were slowing down [perhaps my math is bad]?
It used to be 12 months IIRC, so yes they have slowed down...technically.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
It actually gave enough time for me to say "I should buy now to weather the storm"

I would rather Apple get it out there and give the developers a few years to get their apps up to snuff. Our OS is working well... and I don't see any major issues for the next few months.

They havent made a statement on when 10.5 will be out, so no, they arent rushing it.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Thain Esh Kelch
They havent made a statement on when 10.5 will be out, so no, they arent rushing it.
Jobs said end of 2006/beginning of 2007. It seems to me like they want to have a new version out by the time Longhorn is released.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 10:39 PM

I see the timing as a two-edged sword. Yes, announcing ahead-of-the-fact will probably hurt sales in the short term, but they had to get developers on board before hand. They couldn't very well just announce new hardware that there were no apps to run natively on besides the iApps, and if they just sprung it on software developers one day that as of 11:00 AM, they were releasing new hardware that their apps wouldn't run on, there would have been a riot.

The timing was done purposefully in order to give developers a year to get up to speed with the new architecture. It's painful, but it's probably the only way this could be done, realistically.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 11:04 PM

What the &#^# is the #*#*#ing Osbourne Effect?!

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2005, 11:15 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules