Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > CD library app or something like that

CD library app or something like that
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 02:04 PM

OK, here's the deal. I got about 400 CDs of various kinds(audio, divx, vcd, apps and such) and it is getting impossible to keep track on what I got and what not.

So I was wondering if you guys know about any good app to keep track of all these CDs.

thanks

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

xtal
Senior User
Aug 5, 2003, 02:16 PM

I was recently looking for something like this for my CD/DVD collection, but was met with limited success.

An interesting suggestion was to run PHP on my iBook and use a pre-written database to store the information. I looked into this, but never really followed through with it.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2003, 03:10 PM

I think that Locator can actually do this. It's one of the little-known features of the app.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Guaranine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 10:33 PM

If you have PHP/mySQL installed, give OpenDB a try. It will organize all kinds of media including DivX, DVD, CD, or whatever else you want to add. The software will look for information on Amazon.com, CDDB, IMDB.com, etc. and add the appropriate info for the piece of media that you are adding, such as actor, director, and an image of the case cover. The software is really neat because it supports multiple users (although it's perfectly good as a single user database). You can check out your CDs to your friends and keep track of them in the database. Users can also add ratings. Anyway, it's a neat piece of software for free, and if you have a system with PHP and MySQL, it takes about five minutes to set up. There's a demo of the system available at the above link.

P.S. If you don't have PHP or MySQL installed, check out Server Logistics. They provide installer packages for Apache 2, MySQL, and PHP along with other fun software. Or, Marc Liyanage has some equally easy packages.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 11:00 PM

I really like CDFinder. I've used it since the old OS9 days, but it's pretty nice, is affordable shareware, and has a really good OSX version.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

jamerican
Aug 6, 2003, 11:50 AM

I have been using ReaderwareVW to catalog my DVD collectin for quite a while now. It is very simple and easy to use. You connect o Amazon.com or Towerrecords.com to find the item, then drag the URL to the icon in the Readerware window and it is automatically updated. Do a search for it on Versiontracker. It has different modules for DVD's, CD's and Books. Or go to the site, Readerware.com.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by Guaranine:
If you have PHP/mySQL installed, give OpenDB a try. It will organize all kinds of media including DivX, DVD, CD, or whatever else you want to add. The software will look for information on Amazon.com, CDDB, IMDB.com, etc. and add the appropriate info for the piece of media that you are adding, such as actor, director, and an image of the case cover. The software is really neat because it supports multiple users (although it's perfectly good as a single user database). You can check out your CDs to your friends and keep track of them in the database. Users can also add ratings. Anyway, it's a neat piece of software for free, and if you have a system with PHP and MySQL, it takes about five minutes to set up. There's a demo of the system available at the above link.

P.S. If you don't have PHP or MySQL installed, check out Server Logistics. They provide installer packages for Apache 2, MySQL, and PHP along with other fun software. Or, Marc Liyanage has some equally easy packages.
that sounds great, but if it's web based, how do you add cd's to the database.. not manually i hope

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2003, 05:32 PM

i think barcode readers are underused -- couldn't there be some type of program that creates/prints barcode labels to stick on CDs, which could then be scanned for a complete file list/description? this seems like it would work pretty well, and it could possibly even read UPC labels and download info automatically (for music CDs/DVDs)

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
i think barcode readers are underused -- couldn't there be some type of program that creates/prints barcode labels to stick on CDs, which could then be scanned for a complete file list/description? this seems like it would work pretty well, and it could possibly even read UPC labels and download info automatically (for music CDs/DVDs)
great idea! i would definitly spend a few bucks to get that setup..

Forum Links
Forum Rules