Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD Ripping

DVD Ripping
dazzla
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 09:16 AM

OSEx and DVD Backup only seem to rip the region that my PowerBook is set at. I've got DVD's from all over the place so they're no good

Is there a way to make them read discs from all regions? Or another DVD Ripping app that can handle all region discs?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2003, 10:13 AM

a lot of times the region is set in hardware, in which case you're out of luck (unless you have a K for your drive). Otherwise, VLC is supposed to be able to break the region code, after a (sometimes long) time, and apparently it has command line options for encoding, but I've never experimented with either feature

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by dazzla:
OSEx and DVD Backup only seem to rip the region that my PowerBook is set at. I've got DVD's from all over the place so they're no good

Is there a way to make them read discs from all regions? Or another DVD Ripping app that can handle all region discs?
yeah, i'd look for an RPC-1 firmware update for that drive. none of thoes apps are going to be able to rip a DVD from another region, if the drive won't play it.

i don't know what PowerBook you have, but here's some links i found that might be helpful:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download2.html

http://forum.onecenter.com/cgi-bin/f...i?fid=dvd&n=11

you'll also need an app like Region X (http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download.html) to switch your drive to different regions.

tr

dazzla  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2003, 01:05 PM

12" PowerBook, firmware not available. I'll just have to rip them on my PC...

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2003, 02:03 PM

Does the backing-up of one's personal DVD's (as with DVDBackup) alter their makeup/contents, etc:

- Lose the Menu's?
- Lose the 5.1 DTS?
- Lose the picture's detail?

Or does it keep everything as it were, as if the DVD were in the drive?

Thanks!
BD

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
Does the backing-up of one's personal DVD's (as with DVDBackup) alter their makeup/contents, etc:

- Lose the Menu's?
- Lose the 5.1 DTS?

Thus.

The material will take up the same amount of space on your drive as on the DVD, and it will have the same quality, as well as all the animated-menu-garbage.

-s*

Guaranine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:

- Lose the Menu's?
- Lose the 5.1 DTS?

Thanks!
BD
As Spheric Harlot wrote, DVD backup applications are capable of copying the whole DVD to your HD. However, if you then want to burn a backup of your DVD, you're going to have to shrink down the size a bit. Most DVD movies you buy are recorded on a dual layer DVD but the DVDs that you are burning onto are only single layer (about half as big). I would recommend using a program called DVD2OneX which will help you compress your DVD.

You can choose to go one of two ways in shrinking your DVDs. By removing all of the special features, menus, etc. you can shrink your DVD without having to sacrifice too much in image quality. However, if you want to keep these special features, the program will have to compress the actual movie more in order to fit it everything onto one single layer DVD. This will result in a loss of movie quality, but you'll have all of the features of the original DVD. DVD2oneX will allow you to choose between these options. If you're ripping on your PC, check out doom9.org, which has a lot of information on DVD ripping and the various software options available on the PC. Good luck.

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2003, 06:29 PM

you can tip dvd's with vlc as well.
It's just not an interface option (yet).

but using VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC --demuxdump-file=dumpdvd.vob dvdold/dump:/dev/rdisk1

to launch VLC from the terminal does the trick

Also does the decripting if it's possible with your dvd player. (decrypting can take an awful while)

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

memento
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 09:27 AM

Awesome terminal command! I have a DVD that I simply CANNOT put onto my HD. None of the tools that I've found work (dvdbackup, osex, forty-two, divxray, etc). They can't "see" the dvd files. But I can play it with VLC and dvdplayer.

This command at least dumped it to my HD! All I had to do is find out which rdisk number my DVD was (rdisk7). Thanks!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Forum Links
Forum Rules