Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't run goppler in terminal.

Can't run goppler in terminal.
alxalxnet
Aug 17, 2003, 01:37 PM

I am trying to use this little application called goppler to fix some mpeg files.

The instructions say that I should type "goppler -fix" followed by the name of the file, in Terminal.

However, Terminal says "Command not found". Do I have to place the goppler application in a specific place?

This is the web page with the instructions:
http://mpeg.woodspell.com/

Thanks!

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by alxalxnet:
I am trying to use this little application called goppler to fix some mpeg files.

The instructions say that I should type "goppler -fix" followed by the name of the file, in Terminal.

However, Terminal says "Command not found". Do I have to place the goppler application in a specific place?

This is the web page with the instructions:
http://mpeg.woodspell.com/

Thanks!
Well, because the goppler binary (binary = an application) isn't in a place where the OS knows to look for binaries, you have to tell the computer where to look for the goppler application. First you have to cd (stands for change directory) to the directory where goppler exists. Then you execute the binary with the appropriate flags (options given to the program at startup usually denoted by a "-" are called flags) by typing: ./goppler -fix filename

Hope that helps.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

alxalxnet  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 02:33 PM

you have to tell the computer where to look for the goppler application. First you have to cd (stands for change directory) to the directory where goppler exists. Then you execute the binary with the appropriate flags (options given to the program at startup usually denoted by a "-" are called flags) by typing: ./goppler -fix filename
[/B]
Thanks for your reply.

I placed goppler on the desktop and I changed directory to /Users/alxalx2/Desktop.

Then I typed ./goppler -fix filename (I assume I have to specify the path for the file), but it still says "command not found."

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the goppler application is called "goppler-v.1.40a" ?

Guaranine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by alxalxnet:
Does it have anything to do with the fact that the goppler application is called "goppler-v.1.40a" ?
Yes. Change the name to just "goppler" in the Finder, and you should have no problem running the command as [APi]TheMan recommended. Alternatively, you could type "./goppler-v.1.40a -fix filename" but in the long run it will probably just prove easier to rename the app to "goppler."

If this is a program that you are thinking of using a lot, I would recommend moving the binary to a directory such as "/usr/local/bin". This would allow you to just run the binary by typing "goppler -fix filename" no matter what directory you are in because the OS knows to look for binaries in this location, among others. To move goppler to this location, just type "sudo mv goppler /usr/local/bin" and type your administrator password when prompted. This of course assumes that you have renamed "goppler-v.1.40a" to "goppler" and you are in the directory currently containing the goppler binary (your Desktop in this case). Then type "rehash". You should now be able to run the binary from any directory by just typing "goppler". Hope this helps.

alxalxnet  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Guaranine:
Yes. Change the name to just "goppler" in the Finder, and you should have no problem running the command as [APi]TheMan recommended. Alternatively, you could type "./goppler-v.1.40a -fix filename" but in the long run it will probably just prove easier to rename the app to "goppler."

If this is a program that you are thinking of using a lot, I would recommend moving the binary to a directory such as "/usr/local/bin". This would allow you to just run the binary by typing "goppler -fix filename" no matter what directory you are in because the OS knows to look for binaries in this location, among others. To move goppler to this location, just type "sudo mv goppler /usr/local/bin" and type your administrator password when prompted. This of course assumes that you have renamed "goppler-v.1.40a" to "goppler" and you are in the directory currently containing the goppler binary (your Desktop in this case). Then type "rehash". You should now be able to run the binary from any directory by just typing "goppler". Hope this helps.
Thank your for your detailed answer! I renamed goppler and I moved it to the bin directory, typing the commands you suggested. Then I typed rehash. Goppler is not in my desktop anymore, so I guess it did work.

However, if I type "goppler -fix [path and name of the mpg file]" I still get the "Command not found" message

Guaranine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2003, 05:21 PM

<Edit>It appears as though /usr/local/bin isn't a default binary location in Mac OS X, so your system doesn't know to look for goppler there. Instead of what I detailed below, let's try moving the goppler binary to /usr/bin. To do this, "cd /usr/local/bin". "sudo mv goppler /usr/bin/goppler". Type in your admin password. "rehash". This should hopefully work for you.

You could add /usr/local/bin to your .tcshrc file to add it to your list of binary paths, but this is probably unnecessary for what you want to do.</Edit>

<Disregard this>
Okay, first of all try typing "where goppler" in the terminal. It should print out "/usr/local/bin." If it doesn't say this then the move didn't go correctly for some reason.

Try entering "cd /usr/local/bin" and then type "ls". This should print out all of the binaries in this directory (/usr/local/bin). Make sure that "goppler" is actually in there and spelled correctly. Remember that case matters, so "Goppler" is not the same as "goppler." Report back your findings and I should be able to help you more.
</Disregard this>
( Last edited by Guaranine; Aug 17, 2003 at 05:30 PM. )

alxalxnet  (op)
Aug 17, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Guaranine:
[B]<Edit>It appears as though /usr/local/bin isn't a default binary location in Mac OS X, so your system doesn't know to look for goppler there. Instead of what I detailed below, let's try moving the goppler binary to /usr/bin. To do this, "cd /usr/local/bin". "sudo mv goppler /usr/bin/goppler". Type in your admin password. "rehash". This should hopefully work for you.

You could add /usr/local/bin to your .tcshrc file to add it to your list of binary paths, but this is probably unnecessary for what you want to do.</Edit>
It did work!!! Thanks a lot.
(Too bad that even after running goppler, the mpg file is still unplayable)

Does anybody know of another patch for Replay TV mpgs?

Leibowitzn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2003, 05:20 AM

What are you playing the mpeg in ? I find the between VLC and mplayer I can play 99.9% of the movies out there, corrupt or not.

good luck,
Leib

alxalxnet  (op)
Aug 19, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by Leibowitzn:
What are you playing the mpeg in ? I find the between VLC and mplayer I can play 99.9% of the movies out there, corrupt or not.

good luck,
Leib
You're right. I can play most of the files with VLC, but I would like to burn them onto a DVD too. There's a tool called MacReplayTV, but it doesn't work with any of the files I downloaded from my ReplayTV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules