Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Speed up your PB4/ OSX by fine tuning?

Speed up your PB4/ OSX by fine tuning?
GoldenHammer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 08:10 PM

Is there a fine tuning guide for the PB4/OSX for a better performance? Any nice tips for sharing?

What is the way you are using? Thanks.
( Last edited by GoldenHammer; Sep 27, 2003 at 07:19 PM. )

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 26, 2003, 08:27 PM

Two general performance tips--neither free:

1. Add RAM.

2. Get Panther! [smile]

And--for free:

1. If you are running a lot of Login Items that stay loaded, that MIGHT (not necessarily) be a speed issue.

2. In Energy Saver you can balance speed vs. battery life--different setting for when you're plugged in and when you're not.
nagromme

kam61799
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2003, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by GoldenHammer:
Is there a fine tuning guide for the PB4/OSX for a better performance?

What is the way you are using? Thanks.
I certainly second your desire for a comprehensive guide for fine tuning, more speed is always a good thing, but short of that here is what I do:

* Periodically repair permissions (using either the Disk Utility app located in your Utilities folder or a third party app like Cocktail). I do this at least once a month to keep everything running smoothly.

* Run fsck -y regularly to catch any disk problems. On start-up hold down the "Command" key and the "S" key; at the prompt (which you will get after a few lines of code) enter "fsck -y" (without the quotes and making sure to include the space before the dash. After the check commences you'll get either get one of two responses; either something like "The HD appears to be OK," after which you can simply type "reboot" and let the computer boot up normally; or something like "The HD was modified," after which you should run "fsck -y" again until you get the "OK" message.

* Either use a program like MacJanitor to manually run the cron scripts Mac OS 10.2 runs automatically in the middle of the night or leave you PB on all night long.

* Every once in a while use a program like Cocktail, Jaguar Cache Cleaner, or Cache Out X to clean out some of the OS caches. While this really won't speed anything up it could help solve any weird problems you might encounter or at the least keep bloat off your hard-drive.

* I also second the suggestion of making sure that you only have necessary items loading up at start-up. For example, my scanner drivers installed a couple of programs that constantly checked the USB ports to see if the scanner was connected. Considering that I use my scanner once in a blue moon this miniscule use of processor power and memory was a complete waste.

* Stay current on all you programs.

* Turn off any unnecessary eye-candy (drop shadows, dock animation, anti-aliasing). Personally I didn't do any of these things because the beauty of OS X is one highlights of the modern Mac experience.

GoldenHammer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 12:51 AM

Thats nice tips, thanks.

nagromme
Senior User
Sep 27, 2003, 12:58 AM

Two reasons to keep the eye candy:

1. It's often informational: shows WHERE in the Dock a minimized window went, etc.

2. It happens for an instant--it doesn't slow down anything the rest of the time.
nagromme

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 02:02 AM

Very nice tips, thanks.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

wavegroom
Sep 27, 2003, 03:13 AM

move memory swap to a dedicated partition, this speeds up the system a little bit.....
especially program startup time

change the swap part in /etc/rc

echo "Starting virtual memory"
mount -t hfs /dev/disk0s9 /swap
swapdir=/swap/var/vm
if [ "${netboot}" = "1" ]; then
sh /etc/rc.netboot setup_vm ${swapdir}
fi

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by GoldenHammer:
Thats nice tips, thanks.

hello goldenhammer... my friend from the Nikon D100 forum. you are an amazing photographer. i hope that all is well. it makes me happy that you are a Mac user as well.

sorry to go off topic... he is just a really nice guy

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

GoldenHammer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the greetings...

I used to share some photography work in the forum. By the way, do you join the POTM and Challenge galleries at my sites?

Originally posted by spalding12:
hello goldenhammer... my friend from the Nikon D100 forum. you are an amazing photographer. i hope that all is well. it makes me happy that you are a Mac user as well.

sorry to go off topic... he is just a really nice guy

greg
Photography Blog - For all fun stuffs about photography.
Best Photos of the Month - Winning photographs for the month.
Photography Articles - Inspiring story, technical review and journal in photography.
Photography Contest - Free, Fun and Value for all photographers.

spalding12
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 08:32 AM

i have not... but i should just take the plunge and do so. i have admired your work for so long. your site is also fantatic... you are always helping the other photographer.

greetings to you and to hong kong, my friend
i'm glad that you are well

greg
Enjoy the ride... not just the destination

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 27, 2003, 12:46 PM

Great tips! Thanks!

The beauty of OS X is that there is hardly a need for fine tuning. My other computer runs Windows XP which is getting slower and slower every week.

I�m so glad that I bought my 17` beauty!
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 02:52 PM

GoldenHammer: Finally! I have been trying to remember where or who I got that beautiful Hong Kong shot from. I have visited the Digital Life 21 site you posted, but do you have any wallpaper-size photos of your work? I saw some examples but they were so tiny. I'm hoping to add more gorgeous photos of yours to my wallpaper collection.

GoldenHammer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2003, 07:00 PM

Hi, it seems a nice idea, I am preparing a wall paper size re-composition with a set of special Hong Kong scenes photos (including night shots).

I will share it in my site and make it available for download later.

GH

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
GoldenHammer: Finally! I have been trying to remember where or who I got that beautiful Hong Kong shot from. I have visited the Digital Life 21 site you posted, but do you have any wallpaper-size photos of your work? I saw some examples but they were so tiny. I'm hoping to add more gorgeous photos of yours to my wallpaper collection.
Photography Blog - For all fun stuffs about photography.
Best Photos of the Month - Winning photographs for the month.
Photography Articles - Inspiring story, technical review and journal in photography.
Photography Contest - Free, Fun and Value for all photographers.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2003, 11:36 PM

GoldenHammer: Truely amazing pictures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules