Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems in Single User Mode

Problems in Single User Mode
Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
Dec 20, 2005, 11:10 AM

In 10.4.3, I am having problems when I run fsck.

If I run fsck and the system was NOT modified, I can type in "exit" or "reboot" and I can exit single user mode and reboot normally.

However, if the system IS modified, no matter what command I type in, be it exit, reboot, shutdown, or halt, I can not exit single user mode unless I do a forced restart.

This was not the case before.

I do not have my disk journaled.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2005, 11:48 AM

I am not a Single User Mode power user but have you tried to run the fsck command more that one single time?. I had read that it is OK to run it several times…

Found it here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command until it no longer appears. It's OK if you need to do several "passes" of fsck, because first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues.

Biggerfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb
I am not a Single User Mode power user but have you tried to run the fsck command more that one single time?. I had read that it is OK to run it several times…

Found it here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command until it no longer appears. It's OK if you need to do several "passes" of fsck, because first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues.

Thanks.

I tried going back and repeating the fsck command and I still had to force restart and it did not recognize exit or reboot.

To see if I was doing something wrong, I ran it on my PowerBook and it worked okay.

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2005, 09:07 PM

did you try "shutdown now"?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 22, 2005, 12:22 AM

That is abnormal. What happens when you type exit? Does it just hang? It's important to note that Apple no longer recommends booting into single user for those running Tiger, yet I also know service technicians who continue to do fsck it as part of their standard maintenance routine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Biggerfoot  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
That is abnormal. What happens when you type exit? Does it just hang? It's important to note that Apple no longer recommends booting into single user for those running Tiger, yet I also know service technicians who continue to do fsck it as part of their standard maintenance routine.

thanks.

When I type "exit" or "shutdown now" it does not hang. I hit return and then it is ready for the next prompt. That is when no matter what I type, it will not exit single user mode and I can not reboot it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules