Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > "Carbonized" apps

"Carbonized" apps
FireWire
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 1999, 02:05 AM

Is there any "carbonized" apps currently available for use with the CabonLib found in OS 9?

NeonBoy
Oct 3, 1999, 05:44 AM

What does the CarbonLib do in MacOS 9?, it is safe to throw it away?

Billabong
Oct 3, 1999, 06:48 AM

I think Adobe Photoshop 5 is a carbonised app.

Medazinol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 1999, 12:40 PM

The CarbinLib in Mac OS 9 provides support for "Carbon" updated programs that will ultimatly make the transition to Mac OS X client smoother. At this time there are NO Carbonized apps released *yet*.

A Carbon app will run on Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X. Is allows developers to bring legacy Mac apps to Mac OS X without rewriting the complete application from scratch. You also get the features we've been needing for many years: preemtive multitasking, memory protection, SMP and much more. But only is you have Carbon apps.

PhotoShop has not been Carbonized yet. What you think you saw was a Carbonized PhotoShop 5.0 that has hastily ported for the WWDC 98 conference. The shipping version is NOT Carbonized.

Hope this helps!

Mafoo
Oct 3, 1999, 02:21 PM

I know as a fact that Outlook Express 5 is carbonised.

ZooTV
Oct 3, 1999, 03:12 PM

Don't really know if Outlook Express is carbonized...that would mean that only users using Mac OS X Server, and Mac OS 9 would be able to use it. Apple will realease carbon libraires for use with Mac OS 8.1 or higher, but it isn't known when this will happen.

------------------
ZOOtv

scott
Oct 3, 1999, 04:39 PM

Don't really know if Outlook Express is carbonized...that would mean that only users using Mac OS X Server, and Mac OS 9 would be able to use it.
Actually, only people using Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X DR1 would be able to. Mac OS X Server does not yet support Carbon apps.

Aside from product maintenance issues, I can't think of any reason an application couldn't be a hybrid: Carbon-based and Classic -- just like PPC/68k FAT. It would be a pain to maintain, though. As ZooTV says, this will be resolved after Carbon libraries are available for Mac OS 8.1.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

shopsinm
Oct 3, 1999, 07:50 PM

No developer can release carbonized applications yet because of Apple's NDA. To get the Carbon libraries you need early access to MacOS 9. And to have early access you have to be a registered Apple devloper and have signed their NDA. So I've carbonized my application but I cannot release the carbon version yet.

However Apple has publicly stated that they will get carbon to work under MacOS 8.x as a library. So carbon will work under 8.x the way the appearance control panel works under 7.x. So you should see a fair amount of shareware support carbon soon and commercial software will follow later.

crusher4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 1999, 12:25 AM

The new stcript editor is carbon lib relieant....if u dont got it it dont work

cheers!
crusher4
-Crusher4

Andrew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 1999, 12:06 PM

Obviously none of you are using Anarachie, or at least read the release notes! ;-)

One of the first few points is that it's been carbonized.

ericnear
Oct 11, 1999, 04:41 PM

Telnet3 is carbonized. For those of you who don't know Kevin Grant has continued development on the former NCSA Telnet.
http://www.members.home.net/telnet3/

Le Flaneur
Senior User
Oct 14, 1999, 12:52 AM

Not so clear, crusher4. If Anarchie used Carbon, then why would it run on versions of the MacOS previous to 9? I haven't seen the Carbon libraries released to the general public yet for inclusion in earlier versions of the OS...

Lord Kenja
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 1999, 10:50 AM

Ok. You should NOT throw out Carbon Lib. Carbon Lib implements the Carbon API (or at least the things that is not implementet anywhere else. The rest is just pass-throughs - for instance the new data browser that will make finder-like lists). I don't know if the system uses it (I seriously suspect it does. Making it easier for Apple to transfer code to MacOS X). But new and updated apps will count on it being there.

The API's will be released in a version that will work in MacOS 8.x sometime soon.

There's nothing wrong in making 'Carbon' apps. The SDK may be under NDA. But that don't exclude a developer from releasing apps that have been compiled agains the headers in it.

And lastly. Let's get this straight. Carbon apps are NOT something new and fancy. Most of the API's used have been in MacOS at LEAST since MacOS 8 (there's some new and some that's been changed). Carbon is just a spec of API's that Apple have committed to transfer to MacOS X.

[This message has been edited by Lord Kenja (edited 10-15-1999).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules